[va-bird] Re: Thanks again.. learning much..... Hermit Thrush?

  • From: Paul Kane <pmkane@xxxxxxx>
  • To: paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:16:29 -0400

Hey Paula,

Don't be apologizing for the "morons with binoculars" in this community, not online, offline, or in person. This is something these so called birders are going to eventually have to learn how to do for themselves, no matter how long this takes.

Paul Kane
Falls Church, VA

On Aug 12, 2006, at 5:46 PM, Paula Sullivan wrote:

Jim,

Yes, you ID'd your Hermit Thrush correctly. The Hermit Thrush is a winter resident around here, but can be found even into early May. Look for this beautiful thrush with a reddish tail again in October.

I'm glad most everyone you have encountered online and on a trail has been kind and helpful. I apologize for the "bad egg" in our birding community who tried to make you think that it was "unforgivable" to misidentify a bird. Don't buy into that for one second. There is only one way to learn how to bird and that is to ask questions, as you are doing, and not be afraid to make a mistake. The worst thing that can happen is that you allow yourself to be intimidated by certain elements out there who think they know it all and you don't. You started as photographer, a fine one at that, and are trying to learn the birds as you go. I applaud you and encourage you to keep at it.

Having met you at Monticello Park, I know you are relatively new to the area, having lived most recently in the West. The Mid-Atlantic is a wonderful area for birding, from the mountains to the coast. Enjoy it all!

Paula Sullivan
Alexandria

On Aug 12, 2006, at 4:07 PM, Jim Poor wrote:

All,

Just wanted to pop up and say thanks to all those who have chimed in on my birds. .....
Most everyone has been very helpful and kind with the one exception being someone who thinks it's unforgivable that I would mis-ID a bird (OH the shame of it all).....

Thanks again
Jim
Fairfax,VA