[va-bird] Sky Meadows and Skyline Drive

  • From: "Lee Adams" <ladams42@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "VA Bird" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 08:49:43 -0400

A friend and I walked the one mile loop trail west of Gap Run at Sky Meadows State Park. The Eagle Scouts and leaders working on building a bridge across Gap Run were most kind in offering help across the construction area and stream. A pervasive odor of rotten fish appeared to have been caused from the draining of a pond and urged us not to linger on the downwind side.

We Saw Eastern Wood-Pewees, Common Yellowthroats, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Robins, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, a Yellow-breasted Chat, Catbirds, Mockingbirds, an immature Indigo Bunting, Downy Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers, a Red-headed Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Cedar Waxwings, a Bald Eagle, a Great Blue Heron, a Broad-winged Hawk, Red-winged Blackbirds, European Starlings, Rock Doves, Mourning Doves, an Ovenbird, House Finches, Goldfinches, Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, Carolina Wrens, Turkey Vultures and House Sparrows. We heard Pileated Woodpeckers and Eastern Towhees. And to quote another person more poetic than I, "No stinking Shrikes!"

Throughout the rest of the day we saw several perched Red-tailed Hawks and one that glided right across the windshield to catch a thermal at an overlook on Skyline Drive. We saw several Common Ravens including one carrying something spiky in its beak and a pair nuzzling and preening in the top of a tree below an overlook. The daylight hours ended with a beautiful Northern Harrier fighting the wind, coursing low over the meadow at Big Meadows.

Lee Loudenslager Adams
Fredericksburg, VA
ladams42@xxxxxxx