[va-bird] Sky Meadows SP, Fauquier Co., Oct. 2 - and remarks

  • From: Scott Baron <brnpelican@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:40:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, birders.

I found Dorothy Tella's post about the bird walk at
Sky Meadows SP quite interesting, as I visited the
next day and found quite a different assemblage of
birds, even though it seems that we birded some of the
same areas.  I birded the Visitor Center/area, Gap Run
Trail and Snowden Trail.  I also stopped along the
entrance road a couple of times to look and listen.

In the past month of birding in Northern Virginia and
the DC area, I've seen most common wintering songbird
species.  Beside R.b. Nuthatch and R.c. Kinglet, which
are obviously early this fall, have others noticed a
generally early migration period for Winter Wren,
White-thr. Sparrow, etc. this season?

Migrants and other notables at Sky Meadows on 10/2:

-Am. Kestrel, 1
-All 7 woodpeckers, incl. 3 RED-HEADED and 1 1st fall
Y.B. SAPSUCKER.  I thought I heard another Sapsuckerr
drumming I didn't see it.  Instead, a Red-bellied was
in that tree.  One Red-headed was several hundred feet
N of the campground, where I haven't seen one before.
-E.W. PEWEE, 2
-E. PHOEBE, 1
-B. JAY, approx. 20
-B. CREEPER, 3
-WINTER WREN, 4
-Both KINGLETS
-GRAY-CHEEKED and/or BICKNELL'S THRUSH (4).  Three
were together and one was not far down the trail.
First record for the park for either species.  I
observed one from about 12' away for about 10 minutes
as it was perched a few feet above the ground.  It
stared at me at first but then relaxed and looked
about.  I don't want to ID these two species in
migration unless they sing, as I understand that the
plumage of both are very similar.  This bird was in
the shade so I want to be careful of using color to ID
it.  How do others separate these two?  I know that
Bicknell's is mostly a coastal plain migrant in this
region, do they regularly migrate through western
Virginia?
-WOOD THRUSH, 1
-AM. ROBIN, 4
-CEDAR WAXWING, 2 imm.
-warblers seen were Magnolia, Blk-thr. Green,
Blackpoll, "Baypoll," Com. Yellowthroat.  Possible
Tennessee, also.  About half of the warblers were B.T.
Greens.
-sparrows: E. TOWHEE, CHIPPING, FIELD, SONG
-I. BUNTING, 11
-E. MEADOWLARK,8, many of them singing

Good birding to you,

Scott Baron