[va-bird] Re Meadowlark @ Occoquan NWR

  • From: pmkane1953@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:29:04 -0500

All,

Received an off line mail stating Meadowlark I posted earlier might not be in juvenile plumage, as I had suggested. Writer thinks this bird might be a fall adult, not quite into non-breeding plumage. Don't know about this, but I thought I would pass this observation along since this person was kind enough to write me.

Also, in my earlier post, I referred to the Occoquan Bay NWR as being the Occoquan NWR in the subject line of my post. Later, in the body of this same post, I referred to the refuge as simply being Occoquan. The temporary web gallery I put up was titled Occoquan NWR

Someone else wrote me an unsigned off line mail, reminding me that the proper name of the refuge discussed in my original post is the Occoquan Bay NWR, not the Occoquan NWR or simply Occoquan. The writer apparently believes some might confuse my shorthand for the Occoquan Bay NWR with the nearby Occoquan Regional Park.

I know I'll sleep more comfortably tonight knowing this weighty matter has been cleared up. I do regret the confusion. If you are among the many who will be chasing the meadowlark, cooper's, and field sparrow I posted earlier, by all means, please make sure you look for these birds at the Occoquan Bay National Wildfife Refuge, not the nearby Occoquan Regional Park. And, to the moron who sent me this unsigned mail, if you wish to contact me offline, please remember to sign your mail. Even morons get named, right?

Paul Kane
 Falls Church, VA