[va-bird] Re - Leonard's Pond

  • From: "WILLIAM and THERESE Leigh" <leightern@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 02:49:00 +0000

All,

I arrived at Leonard's Pond around 6:30 PM.  See e-bird list below ...

Semipalmated Sandpiper is a best guess. I thought the bill was fairly thick at base and did not droop at tip. Legs appeared black in the scope and flight call was low and gravely. I am not sure how one rules out Sanderling. However, I didn't notice it chasing the surf so I will stick with Semipalmated. Also I didn't notice any prominent wing stripe in flight. The Pectorals flew in as a group and left as a group about 30 minutes later. The Peep stayed behind. No sign of Buff-breasted or even the Solitary's seen yesterday evening.

Location:     Leonard's Pond
Observation date:     8/31/06
Notes:      >Number of species:     8

Mallard     10ish