[va-bird] Piney Grove and Hog Is. WMA

  • From: "Elisa Enders" <elisaenders@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:45:25 -0400

I visited the Isle of Wight, Sussex, and Surry county areas this morning. I birded from the road at the Piney Grove Preserve near Wakefield and saw 2, possibly 3, RED-COCKADED WOODPECKERS. I looking for these, but thinking I would not see them. So, I was very pleased to observe these noisy birds (sound like a cross between a Brown-headed Nuthatch and a Downy Woodpecker to me). There were also several RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS in the area. ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS, EASTERN PEWEES, COMMON YELLOWTHROATS, PRAIRIE WARBLERS, PINE WARBLERS, A BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, HOODED WARBLERS, SUMMER TANAGERS, WILD TURKEYS, HAIRY WOODPECKERS, NORTHERN FLICKERS, RED-EYED VIREOS, a WHITE-EYED VIREO, BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCHES, a WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH, INDIGO BUNTINGS, BLUE GROSBEAKS, FIELD SPARROWS, and CHIPPING SPARROWS were some of the species I remember encountering while at Piney Grove and other places.

I was unable to find my target bird: KENTUCKY WARBLER.

At Hog Island, there were quite a few GREAT BLUE HERONS and GREAT EGRETS. I also saw 2 immature BALD EAGLES, a female WOOD DUCK, and a SNOWY EGRET. ORCHARD ORIOLES, EASTERN KINGBIRDS, ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS, and CANADA GEESE with young were also observed.

I saw RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS sitting on fence posts in two locations while I was driving to Hog Island on back roads. It reminded me of when I saw Acorn Woodpeckers in CA years ago. In fact, when I saw the first bird on the fence post, I immediately thought,"Was that an Acorn?".

It was a nice day to be out.

Elisa Enders
Portsmouth, VA