[va-bird] No ducks at Back Bay 7/25

  • From: jfox <jjfoxfox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:18:51 -0400

It was just one of those days. I figured traffic on 95 would be better yesterday than last weekend, and I'm sure it was. Big deal. It started raining near Williamsburg. I got to Back Bay around 12:30 and saw Dorrie et al coming in, and didn't think I could mooch any help off them. So I tucked my bins into my rain jacket, the sole piece of clothing I had other than what I was wearing, and set out. I lasted about an hour. No sign of anything resembling a duck. For that matter, no sign of anything resembling a pool, at least within a half mile of where I was. I thought of David Hughes' valiant effort to find Buff-breasted Sandpipers last year, on that very dike, when I learned that smart people take Advil before they set out. No, I still don't qualify. I shed what clothes I could and drove home wet. Dag, I love being a birder! Really!

Cheers,

John Fox
Arlington

PS My new motto for deciding whether to chase a bird: "just put it in gear and follow the road that goes there"

--
Using Opera's  !@%$#%@  e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/