[va-bird] Re: Nest boxes- a cautionary tale

  • From: "Suzanne Richman" <suzanne_richman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tomlyn@xxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:58:27 -0400

I'm wondering if everyone just kills copperhead snakes when they come across them. Is there any information about their numbers declining dramatically?

From: "Thomas M Blair" <tomlyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [va-bird] Re: Nest boxes- a cautionary tale
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:53:28 -0400

Bill,
I had a bad time with snakes until I started making ruffled skirts made of 1" garden netting to put around my metal poles. (this also works with trees) Mr. Snake will get all tangled in the netting. If we see the trapped snake in time, we take the whole netting off the pole and drive a few miles up the road and painstakingly cut the netting off the snake and set it free. The snakes are very patient and allow us to do it. Of course I am in charge of the head, which I keep down with a forked stick. I hate snakes, but can't let them suffer (unless it's a Copperhead)
It always amazes me to see the bluebirds coming and going tending to the nestlings even with a snake trapped a foot below the nest box. They seem to understand the the snake can't harm them. Jays and such will dive at a trapped snake and they make the Bluebirds more nervous than the snake.
So far, since we have started doing this, we've not lost any nestlings in our boxes to snakes, we also add an extra piece of thick wood to the hole, making it too deep for raccoon and possum predation.
It can get discouraging, but Bluebirds are persistant,as you mentioned .
So far we've had 15 fledglings, and all boxes are holding eggs again, so expecting another 15 (we hope) making a total of 30 Bluebird fledglings from our 3 nest boxes.
The Wal-Mart boxes are very good, if you modify the hole.
Take Care..
Lynda Blair
New Kent, VA