[va-bird] Monticello Park

  • From: Paul Kane <pmkane@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 19:46:54 -0400

All,

17 Warbler species were reported at Monticello today, including male Blackburnian, male Bay-breasted, and male and female Mourning Warblers. The Olive-sided Flycatcher reported in the park yesterday was not relocated today, though this bird was present at Monticello as recently as late yesterday evening, when six birders had a good opportunity to view this bird through a spotting scope. This was a life bird for four of these observers. I did have an opportunity to digiscope the bird. The digiscopes are not remarkable, though they are diagnostic.

To my knowledge, the only place Mourning Warblers were located today was at the top of the park. Highlight of the day today was a male Blackburnian and Bay-breasted and bathing in the stream together.

The late Junco continues to be in the park, and this evening a Gray- cheeked Thrush was bombing around the in the lower stream.

Monticello park is located on Beverly Drive in Alexandria, VA.

Paul Kane
Falls Church, VA