[va-bird] Mason Neck SP 9/23: AM. REDSTART, PALM WARBLER

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:11:29 -0400

Birders,

Circumstances conspired to abbreviate last week's bird walk at Mason Neck State Park, but a few migrants were spotted nonetheless. A PALM WARBLER was still loitering near the Visitor Center. An AMERICAN REDSTART was flitting around a maple by the main boardwalk on the Bay View Trail. CHIMNEY SWIFTS passed overhead as well. A full list follows.

Don't miss this Saturday's special early trip to an area of the park that's normally closed to the public. Kurt Gaskill and I will lead birders on a search for migrants early in the morning; we will meet in the National Wildlife Refuge's Wood Marsh Trail parking lot on High Point Road before 7:00am. At 7:00 we will carpool to the state park's fields, known to be migrant hotspots. If you can't make the early start, I will still return to the MNSP Visitor Center to lead the usual bird walk starting at 9:00am.

The special early trip is cancelled in the case of rain; the regular 9:00am walk is rain or shine. See my additional post for further details.

Species list for bird walk of 9/23:

Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Duck sp. (on the bay-- possibly early Scaup??)
Red-tailed Hawk
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Red-bellied Woodpecker