[va-bird] Mason Neck SP 10/21-- pied-billed grebe, hermit thrush

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:08:21 -0400

Birders,

I spent a couple hours yesterday afternoon up at our eagle blind here on Mason Neck State Park in Fairfax County. Highlights included four PIED-BILLED GREBES fishing in Kane's Creek, a first-of-season HERMIT THRUSH, and three AMERICAN CROWS mobbing a RED-TAILED HAWK in midair. Although I usually hear a barred owl or two from the blind, I did not yesterday. Full species list follows.

Join us this Saturday for the weekly bird walk at Mason Neck State Park. We'll meet at the Visitor Center for a 9am start, take the Bay View Trail, and finish in the Picnic Area around 11am. All are welcome and no reservations are needed. Please address any questions to me at the email listed below.

Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Turkey Vulture