[va-bird] Re: Manassas NBP: Grasshopper Sparrows

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:37:12 -0400

Dorothy and all,

This area of the battlefield you visited, formerly referred to by birders as the "defunct shopping center" and known to the NPS folks out there as Brownsville, is a great place to see and photograph Grasshopper Sparrows. Glad they gave you some good looks. For those interested in the grassland habitat there and some digiscoped photos of these wonderful, little birds, check out the link to "Grasshopper Sparrows @ MNBP" on the Welcome page of Paul Kane's BIRDING NORTHERN VIRGINIA web site. http://homepage.mac.com/pmkane/ To learn a little about how the restoration of this area came about, you can also visit http://homepage.mac.com/pmkane/weblog/ I have a few photos of my own on my site as well. http://www.pbase.com/paulasullivan/ manassas_national_battlefield_park

Paula Sullivan
Alexandria

On Jul 11, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Dorothy M. Tella wrote:

Hello VA-Birders:

Yesterday in the midafternoon I spent about 45 minutes in the parking lot at the Groveton Road entrance to the Stuart's Hill restoration area in the southwest section of Manassas National Battlefield Park. I had hoped to see GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS and was delighted when two of them, braving the blazing sun and heat , flew up from the grass on the north side of the parking lot and perched for several minutes on tall weeds ......