[va-bird] Ivory-billed Woodpecker Sighting Questioned, Again

  • From: Dave Hewitt <dhewitt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:08:38 -0500

Folks-
Received this from a scientific listserv. This paper apparently is in press, as it is not posted online yet at The Auk's website. Personally, after watching the video and seeing the photos, it seems rather straightforward as a IBWP to me, but then I've never seen one.

Dave Hewitt
Gloucester, VA

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (Campephilus principalus): Hope, and the Interfaces of Science, Conservation, and Politics.
Jerome A. Jackson.
The Auk 123 (1): 1-15, 2006.

The issue: Quality of science. What is required to demonstrate the scientific certainty of an extraordinary bird sighting of international interest and significance?

The author: The acknowledged expert on this species. Birds of North America species account author and veteran ornithologist.

The stakes: Public credibility of the scientific process. The appropriate allocation and dispersion of sorely needed conservation funds.

The outcome: We will have to see, but it is comforting and reassuring to see these questions and constructive criticisms emerging after a period of unabashed exhuberance that tended to silence the doubting scientists.

The hope: There is absolutely no doubt that every bird lover and conservationist, including the author of this paper (I am confident) hopes that the ivory-billed woodpecker exists alive in nature and that the existence can be adequately and appropriately and conclusively confirmed. But let it be noted that the author, the world authority on this species, states his opinion that recent sightings in Arkansas were of a pileated woodpecker, not an ivory-billed woodpecker.