[va-bird] Huntley Meadows 20 Aug 0730 - 1600

  • From: Jim Poor <jtpoor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:31:16 -0400

I spent a good while at Huntley today looking for a Common Yellow throat with no luck :( But I did get two new 'life birds' for me, Little Blue Heron, and one of the Sandpipers (I think Solitary, I'll post a link later).

I took 178 pictures and culled them down to 145 "keepers." Met some nice folks, and learned a lot from a biologist who happened by.

My list for today:

Cardinal x 4
Grey Catbird x about 4
Blue Grey Gnat catcher x 1
Barn Swallow x 6-ish
Eastern King Bird  x at least 6 individuals
Ruby-throated Hummingbird x I can only say two for sure, but I may have seen different pairs...
Bald Eagle x 2 (one adult, one Juv.)
Great Egret x 12 at one time but many more during the day, who knows if some where new or not...
Little Blue Heron x 1 (stayed in the same area all day, lots of nice pictures :) ) You can see that parts of him/her are turning blue ever so slightly.
Sand Piper (not sure which one yet) x 6 -ish on the 'informal trail' and more I'm sure in the open area.
Belted Kingfisher x 2 at once with several other sightings during the day.
Another one of those Empid. flycatchers that I can't ID, and it didn't sing, maybe a second of a different species as well, we'll see.
American Goldfinch x a bakers dozen or so. It was interesting that a bunch of them were hanging out at the base of a tree together for a long time.....
Great Blue Heron x 2
Greater Yellowlegs x1
A hawk of sorts, that I haven't tried to ID yet.

While I was talking to a group of better birders than I, they ID'd a Yellow-billed Cuckoo and an Eastern Wood PeeWee by sound. Too bad I didn't get a lens on them as that would have been two more new birds for me.

Mind you, I've only had my birdsong CD's for less than 48 hours, but I _/think_/ I heard the witchity witchity of a Common Yellow throat........

Not a big list for 8+ hours, but the weather was great and I had good company most of the day.

I'll post some pics later.

Jim Poor
Fairfax, VA