[va-bird] Re: HB435 - not even close...

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rich Rieger <Zelig88@xxxxxxx>, VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:43:48 -0500

VA-Birders,

This is such very disappointing news, but not the first time a bill this worthy of passage didn't make it out of committee. This is the way it goes in politics and the reason people have to keep at it and work consistently and tirelessly for important causes. Maybe this rush to find an artificial bait for conch fishermen will hit pay dirt in the next year, and a similar bill on a moratorium of the landing of horseshoe crabs will make it next session.

The entire birding/conservation community owes Rich a debt of gratitude-- for his leadership, his unrelenting dedication to this cause, his insistence that everyone get involved and make the case for this bill to their elected state representatives. I don't remember this degree of organization and cooperation within our birding community before. The VA-Bird list was invaluable, indispensable, in spreading the word and unifying the "troops." I hope it can be used again as a networking tool. The birding community is now a force to be reckoned with and perhaps, next time, we can take this all the way.

So from me, thanks Rich!!!!

Paula Sullivan
Alexandria

On Feb 3, 2006, at 9:45 AM, Zelig88@xxxxxxx wrote:

Well, I'm sad to say that HB435 went down to "defeat" late yesterday in the Chesapeake subcommittee....