[va-bird] Great Falls NP VA

  • From: "P R Mocko" <paulbirds19@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:45:39 -0400

Hi VA-Birders,

Although the drizzle was constant, an hour walk at noon Saturday in Great Falls Park brightened my mood. GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS and RUBY CROWNED KINGLETS were everywhere, and I counted at least ten of each. Three WINTER WRENS joined in with the resident CAROLINA WRENS. Only warbler species found was YELLOW-RUMPED. BLUE JAYS and N. FLICKERS were constantly streaming through the woods.

Ducks on the Potomac (technically in MD) were MALLARD, BLACK DUCK, WOOD DUCK, and RING-NECKED DUCK. Joining them was one PIE-BILLED GREBE and one DC CORMORANT. No big numbers of any waterfowl yet.

Thirty-two species of birds, few people and no unsubscribe requests...priceless.

Paul Mocko
McLean, VA