[va-bird] [Fwd: FW: Dismal Swamp NWR, 04/09/06]

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:59:03 -0400

Forwarded for David Hughes

From: David Hughes [mailto:dlh710@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 4:43 PM
To: 'va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Dismal Swamp NWR, 04/09/06

Hello, Virginia Birders,

I walked in Dismal Swamp yesterday morning for about 4 hours, covering Jericho Ditch down to the dog-leg on the south and up beyond the power line cut on the north. When I began, around 7:45, it was quite chilly, cloudy, damp and windy. By the time I left, the sun was blazing from a blue sky, plenty of butterflies had emerged, and I was beginning to feel very over-dressed. The bird-life had a decidedly more spring-like character than it had on my last visit in late March. Wintering birds are still around in good numbers, too; so it made for a pleasant and productive morning. Two rival Prairie Warbler males were buzzing insults at each other right at the parking area. Others were on territory farther south on the ditch. I squeaked at one and thought it would land on my head! Black-and-White Warblers were also quite responsive down near the dog-leg in the road. Other breeding warblers included Northern Parula, Yellow-throated Warbler, Pine Warbler, Ovenbird and Common Yellowthroat. Two wintering warblers were still present: Orange-crowned Warbler and Yellow-rumped Warbler. I found only one migrant, a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, singing repeatedly from the forest along Jericho Lane. Strangely, the Louisiana Waterthrushes that breed in the swamp did not put in an appearance. The only other new arrival that I could find was a single GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, up near the power line.

The total list follows: Great Blue Heron 1, Wood Duck 6, Black Vulture 2, Turkey Vulture 4, Bald Eagle 1 (an adult cruising along the power line), Red-shouldered Hawk 4, Wild Turkey 1, Laughing Gull 2, Belted Kingfisher 1, Red-bellied Woodpecker 3, Downy Woodpecker 4, Hairy Woodpecker 6, Northern Flicker 2, Pileated Woodpecker 5, Great Crested Flycatcher 1, Purple Martin 2, Blue Jay 2, Carolina Chickadee 4, White-breasted Nuthatch 6, Carolina Wren 12, Winter Wren 2 (not singing), Ruby-crowned Kinglet 16 (Many were singing.), Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3, Hermit Thrush 4 (singing), American Robin 6, Gray Catbird 12, White-eyed Vireo 3, Blue-headed Vireo 2, Orange-crowned Warbler 1, Northern Parula 1, Yellow-rumped Warbler 26, Yellow-throated Warbler 1, Pine Warbler 6, Prairie Warbler 7, Black-and-White Warbler 4, Ovenbird 2, Northern Waterthrush 1, Common Yellowthroat 5, Northern Cardinal 4, Eastern Towhee 2, Swamp Sparrow 2, White-throated Sparrow 17, Rusty Blackbird 75+, Common Grackle 30+, and Brown-headed Cowbird 6. Sorry, I couldn't find a better bird to end with!

Non-avian creatures included: Spring Peeper, Brimley's Chorus Frog, Spotted Turtle, Eastern Painted Turtle, and a White-tailed Deer. Butterflies that I saw were: Zebra Swallowtail 30+, Tiger Swallowtail 6, Black Swallowtail 1, Palamedes Swallowtail 1, Questionmark 1, Spring Azure 2, Pearl Crescent 1, Painted Lady 1, and somebody's Duskywing ? 1 (I don't have a guide handy.)

The Cape Henry Audubon Society will hold a field trip into the Dismal Swamp on Saturday, April 29th. We'll meet by 8:00 AM at the Jericho parking area. All are welcome. I'll try to get back in for more scouting reports on the intervening weekends.

Good birding!

David L. Hughes

CHAS Field Trips

Portsmouth, VA

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org