[va-bird] Re: Fwd: CBBT: Please send positive comments to new Executive Director

  • From: pmkane1953@xxxxxxx
  • To: jjfoxfox@xxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:55:52 -0500

All,

I agree with John's post. I didn't find anything offensive in his original post.

It's obvious that we are all living in a post 9-11 world, and I don't blame the CBBT for taking a closer look at its own threat assessment, risk profile, and security requirements.

There are some things I do not like about the new CBBT policy, though it is very clear to me that this policy was negotiated in good faith by all of the involved parties. Over time, I do hope this policy can be amended in ways that most of us can live with. The better our relationship with the CBBT, the more likely this is to happen.

If I had been the CBBT Director, shortly after 9/11, without so much as a by-your-leave, I would have immediately closed the CBBT to birders altogether, pending the completion of a new CBBT threat assessment and a through review of the CBBT's schedule of protection. I would have undertaken a new CBBT security audit; reviewed the CBBT physical security requirements, including its schedule of protection for lighting, fencing, and CCTV applications; identified required security upgrades to critical infrastructure, and reviewed the CBBT's entire patrol, critical incident, emergency response, incident command, and tactical communication protocols. Believe me, no one would be birding the CBBT while this work was being performed. But, I would also have been using this time to open up a dialog with the birding community and other CBBT constituencies.

Clearly, the days of getting an annual CBBT permission letter and birding the CBBT whenever we care to are over. I don't see why the CBBT should be charging birders $50 an hour to bird the CBBT. There is no good reason to be turning the islands into a revenue stream simply to defray the costs associated with patrolling the islands. The CBBT has to be patrolled whether or not birders are on the islands, period.

In my opinion, if the CBBT is serious about wanting to make the islands available to birders, it should be thinking about reducing the size of its birding footprint and working on a policy to vet CBBT birders. For instance, the CBBT might decide that birding will be permitted on the islands on a certain number of days per month and then during certain daylight hours only. The number of open CBBT birding days and hours could be negotiated by the CBBT security/birding committee.

Reducing the size of the CBBT birding foot print will make it easier for the CBBT to check birders into and out of the facility. It will allow the CBBT to schedule, manage, and deploy its law enforcement assetts on days when the islands are open to birders in a much more targeted way. Perhaps a few local CBBT birders might be recruited to act as volunteers on days when the CBBT is open to birders. Birders should be physically checked into the CBBT, and when leaving the CBBT we should be required to phone ourselves out of the facility at a minimum.

Birders wanting to bird the CBBT should have to apply for an annual permit of some type. Among other things, the permit application should require applicants to furnish proper photo identification, vehicle identification, proof of residency, and contact information. A standard consent to search waiver should be included in the permit application packet along with a list of CBBT rules and regulations. The permit application should specifically state that the CBBT reserves the right to deny or revoke both applications and permits without comment. Birders applying for a CBBT permit should be required to pay a non-refundable application fee intended to underwrite the costs associated with conducting background investigations and maintaining the permitting program. No CBBT permit should be issued without benefit of a completed background investigation, and the CBBT should have 45 business days to issue or deny a permit from the data an application is received.

The CBBT should publish its open birding dates. Birders with valid CBBT permits should obtain a trip reservation 7 business days in advance of visiting the CBBT. The CBBT should limit the number of reservations it accepts for any given day. It should reserve the right to cancel reservations and or close the CBBT to birders without notice or comment. In order of priority, reservations should be given to persons performing legitimate avian research, bird club trips, and individuals. Your cost to bird the CBBT should be limited to the permit application fee.

There all all kinds of ways to limit access to ventilation shafts and air handlers and to secure and monitor this critical infrastructure too. This is something that is routinely done at many public or quasi-public venues. Honestly, I don't see any reason why a more reasonable CBBT birding program can't be negotiated over time, especially if the CBBT really wants to see birders on the islands. This is not a criticism of the fine work that has already been done in this area. If you are working on this issue, please keep up the good work.

If all else fails, perhaps the islands could one day be designated a public refuge of some kind.

Regards,

Paul Kane
Falls Church, VA