[va-bird] Fw: American Tree Sparrow, others, Clarke Co

  • From: "P R Mocko" <paulbirds19@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:56:56 -0500

Posted for Joe Coleman.

From: "Coleman" <jandkcoleman@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 10:16 AM
Subject: American Tree Sparrow, others, Clarke Co

The highlights of today's trip to Clarke Co, sponsored by ANS & LWC, were 5 AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS (3 at Blandy & 2 on a dirt road a few miles south of Blandy), a GRAY CATBIRD, and a WINTER WREN (Blandy). about 50 other species of birds. We also watched an immature BALD EAGLE (1 of 5) eating a fish it had laid out on a horizontal limb over the Shenandoah. It was nice to see a small flock of TUNDRA SWANS (5) fly over while we tallied at Snicker's Gap at the end of the day. While we saw only 1 Red-shouldered Hawk we did find 17 RED-TAILED HAWKS.

In spite of great habitat for them, esp. south of Blandy, we found only 1 Northern Harrier.

We didn't find any loons on the Shenandoah, let alone a Red-throated Loon (we passed that location about 3:30 pm), though we did watch a flock of Common Loons fly far overhead while we were at Blandy.

Bird Observed:
Common Loons (distant flock flying over)
Great Blue Heron  4
Canada Goose 50+
Tundra Swan  5
American Black Duck  6