[va-bird] Finally-Nighthawks

  • From: "Paul Woodward" <grackling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "VABIRD" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 22:15:00 -0400

5 May
I have been checking the Common Nighthawk nocturnal feeding area at Tyson's Corner, Fairfax Co. since April 25, including the past three evenings, to determine their arrival date. Tonight I finally had birds(2) feeding quietly over the illuminated roofs. If past years are any guide nighthawks should be at this location into the first week of June.
The location is Gallows Rd at Boone Blvd near Leesburg Pike. The diamond-shaped roofs of both buildings are illuminated unlike the past couple years. However, they seem to be turned off at 10 pm.

Paul Woodward
Fairfax City, VA
grackling@xxxxxxx