[va-bird] Feeding time at Huntley Meadows and Dyke Marsh

  • From: Jim Poor <jtpoor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:10:52 -0400

Greetings,

Being the non-morning person that I am, I got a late start, about 11:00, at Huntley and spent about two hours before going over to Dyke Marsh for another two hours or so.
I enjoy watching and photographing wildlife interacting, especially hunting and eating. I have to say I was quite pleased today when I started out at Huntley with a Green Heron catching and eating a dragon fly, then a Great Egret doing the same plus a couple of fish. I also got a shot of the Belted Kingfisher with what looks like a crayfish.
Off to Dyke Marsh where the Osprey were doing quite well in the fishing department, one of them was nice enough to catch a colorful bright orange fish and fly over for a close up. Not to be outdone, even the dragonflies were successful predators today.

I'll be putting some of the better shots up on my site as I edit them. It might take a while I took about 200 today.

My list for today (not including a few unidentified birds that I didn't get shots of)....

Huntley
American Goldfinch x 2
Downy Woodpecker x 2
Grey Catbird x 1
Great Egret x 4
Great Blue Heron x 1
Green Heron x1
Cardinal x a few
Barn Swallow x 2
UI Dragonflies x a zillion or so ;)

Dyke Marsh ( I never really left the picnic area other than to walk to the edge of the marina for about 10 minutes)
Osprey  x 5-6
DC Cormorant x about 8
UI Ducks x a bunch
UI gulls x a bunch more
Cardinal x about 6
Great Crested Flycatcher x 1
Barn Swallows x about a dozen but they are hard to follow with a lens...

Thanks all folks :)
Jim
Fairfax, VA
http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor