[va-bird] Email problems - posting problems

  • From: "P R Mocko" <paulbirds19@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:07:22 -0400

Dear VA-Birders,

From the Freelists webmaster, sent to me last night after I asked about the VA-Bird posting problems:

"There are many reasons a message wouldn't come through, but someone's always notified of the cause -- eventually, at least -- that part depends on the cause of the failure. There's really nothing you can do from a list admin point of view."

I have never had a posting problem so I don't know if the notification part is true.

Freelists is a free hosting service, and VA-Bird has been on Freelists since 1999, set up by the previous listserv owners. I looked into other hosting options during the three day outage of VA-Bird in 2004 (2005?) and they all involved $$$.

I will assist anyone willing to re-host VA-Bird, except financially. Topic for the VSO Board?

"No posts" have occured from the first month I took over VA-Bird three and a half years ago. This is by far the most time-intensive part of my "job". In almost every case, if a person changes email services the problem goes away. Brenda Tekin sent her posts from the UVA mail server, which has and continues to have problems. Posting problems may be caused by an ISP email service or by an individual's PC.

So, I feel bad when I cannot resolve your posting problems, but see the first paragraph.

BTW, does your PC have virus protection constantly updated, and do you run an anti-spyware program, and (if it is a Windows PC) do you install Microsoft updates when they are issued?

If you have something to contribute to this discussion, please post (if you can). Solutions and alternatives are welcome.

Maybe we are witnessing the tip of the iceberg of net neutrality problems? ;-}

Please join me at the OBNWR for the NVBC trip starting at 8:00 AM tomorrow, August 26.

Good birding,

Paul Mocko
Co-owner, VA-Bird Listserv

"Always look on the bright side of life"       from Spamalot