[va-bird] Re: Early Gnatcatcher

  • From: Allen Hart <hartal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:39:35 -0400

If you take a look at the breeding bird survey map (BBS Map) on the USGS web site for Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher

   http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7510id.html

It shows them breeding pretty much all across Virginia.

--allen

Birdconsv@xxxxxxx wrote:

This morning while taking a walk in my neighborhood in south Arlington (Fairlington Village), I was surprised to see a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher. This species does not breed in my neighborhood, so this bird must either be a very early migrant or, more likely, a post-breeding dispersant (if this is even a word!). Either seems unusually early to me. Are others starting to see such out-of-place species?
Dave Davis
Arlington