[va-bird] Re: Dyke Marsh 8-13-06

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugarmaple@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:48:35 -0400

Not to begin a thread on wasps, as much as I would enjoy it, but I think Larry is right, that it is a European Hornet (Vespa crabro germana), also called a Giant Hornet. There is some overlap in size between these and Cicada Killers. The former has a bright yellow abdomen with dark crossbands and small spots. The latter has a black abdomen with yellow on 3 abdominal segments. Both are pretty interesting insects and cicadas must have nightmares about them.

Paula Sullivan
Alexandria

On Aug 13, 2006, at 4:28 PM, <sugarmaple@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is that actually a Cicada killer wasp with the cicada?
--elisabeth wilkins
Suffolk, VA