[va-bird] Dickcissel also in Fauquier

  • From: Michael Bowen <dhmbowen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:36:03 -0400

Val Kitchens and Jim Goehring have reported on the Upland Sandpipers seen at a sod farm just south of Remington, Fauquier County, yesterday morning, August 2.

Val and her party of Virginians and Helen Patton and I (from north of the Potomac) also were looking and listening for Dickcissels in the same vicinity, which Kurt Gaskill and Jay Keller had reported on July 31. The overgrown field opposite the turf farm at Strodes Mill Rd. looked to us like good Dickcissel habitat, but we didn't hear or see any there. Not that we stayed very long, as it was becoming very hot.

Just a few minutes later, as Helen and I were driving back over to Rte. 17, we stopped by a soy-bean field along Morgansburg Rd. (653), just north of Savannah Creek Rd. to check out an interesting looking small bird on an overhead wire. As soon as we stepped out of the car, we could hear and see a Dickcissel singing loudly just in front of us. With a mess of soy beans on one side of the road and large trees on the other, it certainly didn't look like our idea of prime Dickcissel habitat.

As it happens we had seen a singing Dickcissel in Montgomery County, Maryland, just last week in a location between a large turf farm and a very large soy-bean field.

I know that Dickcissels in their stronghold in the midwest nest in alfalfa and clover fields in addition to overgrown grass and forb areas. Does anyone out there know whether this species is known to nest in fields of soy beans, another low-growing crop like alfalfa and clover?

Mike Bowen
Bethesda, MD
Montgomery Bird Club, MOS

D. H. Michael Bowen (Mike)