[va-bird] Chimney swifts gone, Gloucester, 9/8/06

  • From: Dave Hewitt <dhewitt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 09:55:52 -0400

I joined folks at our local library to make our second chimney swift roost count for Swift Night Out last night. The roost had apparently disbanded, as we counted only four birds entering the chimney. There were 60+ at last count a couple weeks ago.

We searched the area and found only one other swift, using another chimney up the road. Total count for bats hunting insects along Main street (6) beat the swift total by one.

We were treated to 2 Common Nighthawks flying over headed west just as it got dark.

Dave Hewitt
Gloucester, VA

Dave Hewitt
Fisheries Science/Crustacean Ecology