[va-bird] Re: CBBT

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ecj100@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:41:59 -0500

Eric makes some good points about the difference between freedom and privilege. And it is true that the function of the bridge is to move vehicular traffic, so security and function need to be balanced. The bridge was not built to provide a platform for birders, but neither was it built to provide a platform for fishing, a restaurant, gift shop, and restrooms. These were all perks. As far as I am aware, these privileges and amenities have not been restricted. Birders have been singled out, it appears to me, and I see them as no more of a security threat than fishermen(women), diners, or shoppers.

Paula Sullivan
Alexandria

On Jan 4, 2006, at 9:53 AM, ecj100@xxxxxxx wrote:

First, it is necessary to recognize that we are not really talking about freedom, per se, but privilege. Our access to the CBBT was not a freedom available to the general public, but rather a special privilege available only to a relatively few letter holders.