[va-bird] Brown Thrashers at suet feeders

  • From: "Linda Scherer" <lbscherer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 21:06:11 -0400

At least one of the pair of Brown Thrashers that call my property "theirs" has patronized my suet feeder regularly for several years. It's a bit tricky, since this is an allegedly starling-proof feeder, i.e., the suet cake is held parallel to the ground, rather than on the horizontal -- hope that makes sense to y'all. The larger birds, such as Grackles and Thrashers, must flutter up from underneath and stab at the suet until they get a beakful or knock a piece to the ground. It must take a lot of effort, but they seem to be quite proficient at it after a little practice.

Linda Scherer
Williamsburg