[va-bird] Re: Blue Grass Highland County 12/27/06

  • From: "William Leigh" <leightern@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:46:53 +0000

All,

sorry for the late post, but I did a day trip to Highland county and focused almost exclusively on the Blue Grass area North of Monterey. The passerines were all passed out or passed on passed by ...... I somehow managed to go the entire day of birding without seeing a single Chickadee, Titmouse, Woodpecker, Mourning Dove. Total species was 13. However I did see some nice Raptors and that was the focus of the trip anyhow. I picked up two Golden Eagles at Margaret O'brians on rt 640. The first Golden was proabably a Subadult I and was first seen in Pendelton County and then conveniently flew into Highland county for me. The second GE (immature) was seen after a while as it began to interact with the first bird. Later on I picked up a Rough-legged Hawk on Laurel Fork road just a .2 mile from the junction with 643 this was my first Rough-legged not seen at a Hawk watch. I got splendid views and was able to watch this bird for quite some time. At some point a hawk spooked a flock of Starlings and then nabbed one from the flock in midair. I lost track of this bird but shortly thereafter I found an Accipiter sitting in someone's drive way with plucking away at her/his dinner. I got excellent photos of this bird but was still having difficulty identifying the bird. I have lots of trouble identifying perched raptors. If they fly around a bit I do pretty well. Well this bird wasn't flying he was eating. Anyway, the concensus on the Accipiter seems to be a Coops.

Sincerely,

Location:     Blue Grass
Observation date:     12/27/06
Notes: Very few passerines seen. It was almost errie how quiet and so few birds. However, the raptors made for an exciting trip nonetheless. .
Number of species:     13

Cooper's Hawk     1
Red-tailed Hawk     5
Rough-legged Hawk     1