[va-bird] Bird Walk Mason Neck SP, F'fax Cnty, Dec 17

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:55:15 -0500

Birders,

Short of my slip on the icy path this morning (darn black ice!), today's weekly bird walk had not much out of the ordinary. Highlights were two BALD EAGLES (one adult, one immature), and about 20 bufflehead. Also the usual suspects-- species list follows. Conspicuously absent this morning were white-throated sparrows and kinglets. Perhaps they've found warmer spots than the usual brush piles.

Canada Goose
Mallard
Scaup spp.
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck

Bald Eagle
Ring-billed Gull
Belted Kingfisher

Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker

Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow

Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch

Hermit Thrush
Eastern Towhee
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco

**Please note: There will be no guided bird walk next Saturday (Dec. 24). December 31 is still being arranged-- I'll either be participating in the Ft. Belvoir CBC on the MN NWR or taking the usual SP walk; stay tuned. Then in January, the MNSP bird walk moves to **Saturday at 1pm.**

**During February there will be no interpretive programs on MNSP, including the guided bird walk. Stay tuned for March program details.

Happy birding,

Jodi Bucknam, Park Interpreter
Mason Neck State Park
Lorton, VA