[va-bird] A few birds from the last week

  • From: jfox <jjfoxfox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:11:16 -0400

Va birders

Last Wednesday there was a very cooperative RED-NECKED PHALOROPE at Craney:

http://home.comcast.net/~jjfoxfox/RNPH1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jjfoxfox/RNPH2.jpg

and a forlorn looking Heron on CBBT island #1. I thought juv YC
Night-heron at the time, but I'm not entirely sure that's right:

http://home.comcast.net/~jjfoxfox/juv_Heron.jpg

Thursday morning at Sunset Beach I finally got my ABA PHILLADELPHIA VIREO. I love
it when that happens in Virginia. An adult GOLDEN EAGLE flew over the
bunker trail at ESV NWR later that morning; it was so unexpected that I just gaped, forgot that I had a camera on my shoulder. Oh, well.

A family of Northern Bobwhite were in a field off Seaside later. I parked
and started to stalk them in hopes of a better shot but realized it was
private property, and let it slide. Jane Beavers and Bill Keith reported a
larger group near the GATR tract:

http://home.comcast.net/~jjfoxfox/Bobwhite.jpg

The Kiptopeke campground was a good place for BLACK-THROATED BLUE
WARBLERS. I was at #118 along the back side and over four days saw 3 adults and 1 first
year bird, without hardly even getting out of my chair.

The pelagic trip was a little slow but we had some AUDUBON SHEARWATERS.
Other than Gulls and Gannets, this is the best picture I've ever gotten on a
boat:

http://home.comcast.net/~jjfoxfox/AUSH.jpg

I missed getting a shot of the CORY'S SHEARWATERS, but WILSON'S
STORM-PETRELS were abundant:

http://home.comcast.net/~jjfoxfox/WISP.jpg

The story of the trip, though, was on the way back in. A birder from California was
out on the pulpit when the bow went down on a rising swell, which took him
right off the boat. He kept his head and got clear of anything that could hit him, and
we fished him out right quick, unhurt. It was only later that it rattled me. Eighty five miles from shore in six hundred fathoms and there's a guy in the water. Yikes!

A couple from Norway stopped by the banding station on Sunday morning. He
was a bander, or ringer, too, and was telling us about his banding station on an island off the coast of Norway. Their most common bird is Goldcrest. See

http://www.birdguides.com/html/vidlib/species/Regulus_regulus.htm

They are stationed in Norfolk, I told them to Google on Va-bird; hopefuly they'll get connected with this great community of birders.

Back home in my little patch of suburbia, a (first year male?) MAGNOLIA WARBLER came through yesterday:

http://home.comcast.net/~jjfoxfox/MAWA1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jjfoxfox/MAWA2.jpg

It wasn't even a new yard bird, but it brightened up my day.

Good birding,

John Fox
Arlington

--