[v-webmail] Unable to detect IMAP?

  • From: Chris Wagner <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: v-webmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 13:22:27 +0000

Hello,

Hopefully, even though the author is away, somebody will be able to help
with this problem. I'm not even vaguely familiar with the IMAP protocol,
and only somewhat familiar with PHP's internal workings, so please bear
with me.

When I try to access V-Webmail, I receive the following configuration
error screen;

Configuration error
Unfortunately this application needs the imap extension
loaded and the version of php to be at least 4.0.6 to run.
Other configuration parameters may also be faulty.

IMAP Extension loaded: Not loaded!
PHP Version: 4.3.1
Log directory writeable: Ok
Temp directory writeable: Ok
Userdata directory writeable: Ok
Short tags enabled: Ok
File uploads enabled: Ok

This suggests that everything besides IMAP is working, but IMAP is
claimed to be supported by my server. I checked my PHP configuration and
indeed mod_imap appears in installed modules - is the IMAP extension
something different than that? If it is, then as I don't have
permissions to install modules I'll have to find another client. If they
are one and the same, is there something else that I could be
configuring incorrectly, such as the IMAP root folder? (I currently have
it set to INBOX, since that's what Horde, the default email client on my
server that I'm trying to replace, uses as the name of its root folder
-- whether this is even vaguely grounded in fact I don't know. I think
Horde uses IMAP as well for the storage of its folders, but it may use
it in a different manner.)

Thank you for readinging this message and I hope it can be answered,
"eelhovercraft".