<US>"The Hand," a Thanksgiving Story

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:37:37 -0600

.=:  U S U A L    S U S P E C T S  :=.
      from Father Pat Umberger

"Round up the usual suspects"  ~"Casablanca," the movie

T H A N K S G I V I N G

Visit our Thanksgiving Page for the History of Thanksgiving, special
Thanksgiving Web Sites, Thanksgiving stories by Garrison Keillor (Prairie
Home Companion) and Louisa Mae Alcott, Thanksgiving Projects, Coloring
Pages, graphics, greeting cards ... great Thanksgiving recipes, vegetarian
Thanksgiving recipes and much more.  Try my Spicy Cranberry Chutney.
There's nothing quite like it.  And use the fresh Ginger!  How about
Cranberry Ice Cream Topping, Cranberry Pork Roast or Louisiana Sweet Potato
Pie!

Just follow the banner link from: www.frpat.com

A forward from member Peter from Webster, New York ...

      T H E     H A N D

Thanksgiving Day was near. The first grade teacher gave her class a fun
assignment -- to draw a picture of something for which they were thankful.

Most of the class might be considered economically disadvantaged, but still
many would celebrate the holiday with turkey and other traditional goodies
of the season. These, the teacher thought, would be the subjects of most of
her student's art. And they were.

But Douglas made a different kind of picture. Douglas was a different kind
of boy. He was the teacher's true child of misery, frail and unhappy. As
other children played at recess, Douglas was likely to stand close by her
side. One could only guess at the pain Douglas felt behind those sad eyes.

Yes, his picture was different. When asked to draw a picture of something
for which he was thankful, he drew a hand. Nothing else. Just an empty hand.

His abstract image captured the imagination of his peers. Whose hand could
it be? One child guessed it was the hand of a farmer, because farmers raise
turkeys. Another suggested a police officer, because the police protect and
care for people. Still others guessed it was the hand of God, for God feeds
us. And so the discussion went -- until the teacher almost forgot the young
artist himself.

When the children had gone on to other assignments, she paused at Douglas'
desk, bent down, and asked him whose hand it was.

The little boy looked away and murmured, "It's yours, teacher."

She recalled the times she had taken his hand and walked with him here or
there, as she had the other students. How often had she said, "Take my hand,
Douglas, we'll go outside." Or, "Let me show you how to hold your pencil."
Or, "Let's do this together." Douglas was most thankful for his teacher's
hand.

Brushing aside a tear, she went on with her work.

The story speaks of more than thankfulness. It says something about teachers
teaching and parents parenting and friends showing friendship, and how much
it means to the Douglases of the world. They might not always say thanks.
But they'll remember the hand that reaches out.

-- Author Unknown

Keep me in your prayers and know you're remembered in mine as well.   May
God continue to draw near to you and those you love and keep you safe!

All the best and God Bless,

Father Pat

May God Bless you and those you love, and keep you safe,

Father Pat

www.frpat.com
www.cmonback.com
www.frpat.com/fatima_interested.htm

U S U A L    S U S P E C T S

These are called “Usual Suspects” posts.  In the movie “Casablanca” when there
was a problem the police chief said, “Round up the usual suspects.”  When
forwarding inspiring e-mails I found I was sending them to the same people over
and over again.  The “Casablanca” quote came to mind and the mail-list took on
the name “Usual Suspects.”

The <US>Usual Suspects Group began as a separate e-mail list with..  A post or
two are sent each week, consisting of inspirational and humorous Stories and
anecdotes forwarded to me by our members.

Posts to this group are not intended to offend, hurt or discriminate against
anybody. They come from different theologies and points of view that aren't
necessarily Father Pat's, Catholic, or that of Father Pat's Diocese or the
parish he serves. Some are humorous, others inspirational, most are both. They
are simply food for thought, prayer, enjoyment and good conversation. If you
don't wish to receive them, please unsubscribe. It is not our intent to pass on
copyrighted material. Many of the posts we receive don't quote a source, so we
can't be absolutely sure. We ask our members *not* to submit copyrighted
material.

Stories for possible Usual Suspects inclusion should
be submitted at our Web Site.

   http://frpat.com/stories.htm

Please do not submit copyrighted material.

Subscribe/Unsubscribe right here:

   www.frpat.com/morningprayer.htm#us

You can also set Vacation Mode there.

Forward this e-mail freely to family members and friends.
Encourage them to subscribe as well!

Why not join our Morning Prayer or This Weekend List.  Full details are here:

       www.frpat.com/morningprayer.htm