[USS Tempest] The Twelfth of Never

  • From: "Tkilyle@xxxxxxx" <tkilyle@xxxxxxx>
  • To: usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 18:23:53 -0500

_The Twelfth of Never
_by Pania & Ariki Ngata & Tapu Io

/You ask how long I'll love you; I'll tell you true:Until the twelfth of never, I'll still be loving you.
/

Her father had read to Airini until the girl fell asleep and now he was happily poring over the computer's library, soaking up information on all different kinds of cultures. Pania smiled as she padded in as done up as she could be and still be subtle. Her make up was carefully done so as to look natural, her hair fell in a long curtain around her shoulders and down her back, she wore a simple pair of slacks and a plain shirt over a pretty strappy top, then sandals to finish it off.

"Don't think you can fool your oldies," Ariki said from the computer terminal. "You're gonna knock that poor bloke's socks off, he won't know whether he's coming or going."

"I hope so," she laughed. "He's nice. You like him pa-pa-?"

"You know I do." Ariki turned off the computer and sat back to look his daughter over. "I'll like any man that makes you happy. He's a good traditional boy with a nice steady job. This one's much better."

Tapu had to hand it to the people on this ship. Nice little temp room they'd given him and the bloke who'd taken him there was just the oddest sort. Never had met a Borg before and this one just was teh must curious sort. Ah takes all sorts he supposed as he pulled his hair back onto a long pony tail. Yeah, you'll do for now, Tapu. Now get going.

She wrapped her arms around her father's shoulders and set her head on top of his. "Can you stay?"

Patting her arms gently, he shook his head to try and dislodge hers. "You know I can't, putiputi. Come home with me. Come back to Aotearoa. You'll be looked after there and no one will ever hurt you again."

With a deep sigh, she hugged him tightly from behind. "I know. When I'm done with Jack, when he's ready for a more advanced teacher, I'll come home. Promise."

At least they didn't see the need for an escort every time he left the rooms. Even still, the strange Borg officer made sure he knew how to get to where he was allowed to go. He straightened his clothing yet again as he approached Pania's quarters. Fool, he told himself. You haven't had a date in so long that you're nervous like a boy.

"Be sure you do," Ariki grumbled. "You're making me grey. I'm not even fifty!"

"Yes Daddy, no Daddy, three bags full Daddy." When the chime rang, she bounced off, barely missing being swatted by her father.

"Disrespectful brat," he snorted, turning his computer back on.

"Te-na- koutou," Tapu said brightly as the door opened. "Can I come in?"

"Of course," Pania said, holding out her hand to draw him in. "Pa-pa-'s playing with the computer and babysitting for tonight. I thought we'd try the crew lounge, if you fancy it."

"So long's the company is good, the place here doesn't matter," he said, offering Ariki a nod of greeting. "Ataahua, Pania, just beautiful."

Ariki made a shooing motion. "Go. You're disturbing my reading."

Pania laughed and led Tapu out of the cabin. "Tempest is a small ship, by comparison to others, and there's really not a lot of civilians aboard, just me, the husband of one of the Engineers and the two Ambassadors."

"Then I couldn't blend in even if I wanted to, which I certainly don't," Tapu said with an innocent look that failed very badly on his face. "It's good they realize you're something special, Pania, that they asked for you specifically."

"It's because of my past career and working with the Field Marshal during the war," she told him. "I'd first thought to work with the kids they're sending to an orphanage on Earth. You really wouldn't believe how many there are."

Tapu made a noise of disgust. "That's just sad, eh? I know it's not the same but it reminds me of what they tried to do to us way back in the day, boarding schools for the little savages, to teach them to be proper little Europeans. Do you know how the ones home are being treated then?"

"With respect and care," she shrugged, biting back the shiver that always accompanied thoughts of their past. "They can't be rehomed, some of them are just too damaged for that. Maybe, in a few years, they might be ready to have families but not yet. Jack's one of the unusual ones. I think it's because he's half Betazoid, seems to make a difference. But I've read reports that detail pure wildness, like they're not kids at all, they're animals."

"Tell whoever you have to tell that they can yell t'me if they need help with any legal work. I can abide the thought of kids shut away like that, even if it's for their own good," Tapu said soberly. "It's not right."

"It's not but I won't abandon Jack just to rush home and try to help a group of kids and have no clue if I'm making even the slightest bit of difference," she told him flatly. "The Federation have experts in dealing with damaged kids, I'm not that, I'm just a teacher."

"You're not 'just' anything, Pania," Tapu said firmly, "but I wasn't asking you to abandon the tyke. I just want you to come home when you can."

"You're as bad as pa-pa-," she snorted. Nudging him with her hip, she smirked at him. "You gonna wait for me? Or do you have a whole line of women waiting for you."

"Not even," he hmmphed with a good natured smirk. "Haven't had me a date in months, since this whole mess with that stupid bastard, if you really want to know and I have enough to do to keep me occupied til you're home."

"Y'know, I haven't had a date in five years," she said with mock horror. "My god, having a kid just puts a dampener on your sex life. But you better be waiting for me, mister, or I might do something crazy."

"I'm a patient man, Pania. You think I could be impatient with all these tattoos? They bloody well hurt but patience is one they they give in return," he said seriously. Then he tapped the tip of her nose. "Don't you worry, I'll be waiting though maybe with more than I got already."

She ran her fingers over his facial tattoos. They felt just like her father's, slightly raised over his skin but not affecting how soft it was. "Always was a sucker for a guy with these. God but you're gorgeous. Always promised pa-pa- I'd get the Moko done when I got home. I've never quite felt... I dunno, worthy of it I guess."

He smiled under her touch but then held her hand where it was. "Promise to get them for you, Pania, not for anyone else. You're plenty worthy but if you aren't ready they won't feel right. I was just a little anklebiting twelve year old when I started but I've seen people go a long time before the first. You are as you are and don't put yourself down for that."

"I promise," she said, her eyes glowing with warmth. "I know I disappointed my father when I fell pregnant but I'm not about to run headlong into facial tattoos just to make him happy and he knows it." Then she did what she'd wanted to since he'd come to her door, she kissed him deeply and soundly. "He's happy with you, you know. That's important to me."

"Mmm...now that I could get very used to," he said softly. "And your father's a good and reasonable man, a fine chief. I like him and that isn't something I say about a lot of people."

"I'm not going to disappoint him again," she swore. "Not after all this shit with Frank." She cuddled into his side as they entered the lounge, bustling despite it being earlier in the evening. "That son of a bitch tried to ruin too many things."

"Tried being the word. Past tense, Pania. Now you get take whatever step is next without looking over your shoulder," Tapu said, his arm around her protectively.

"Next step is..." She winked at him and led him to a small table near the windows.

"Oh nothing hard. Just do what you need to do, come home, marry me and let me make you and the little one happy," he said breezily.

"Easy as that..." Then what he said actually sank in and she laughed brightly. "Did you just propose to me, Tapu Io?"

"Ah, yeah, I did," he said softly, the tone so at odds with his face. ""We could make a nice home, Pania, a wonderful family."

"Well," she said as she lifted up her fingers and began to count things off, "you're a good traditional man, my father approves of you, my daughter likes you, you've got good values and morals and I find you down right gorgeous. Y'know, I may just say yes and marry you. But..." She touched his cheek again, tracing gently over the patterns. "Do you love me, Tapu? Ticking all the right boxes isn't enough for me, I need you to love me too."

"Yeah I do, Pania. Why do you think I got so angry about how you were being treated? All I could think was that I'd've never allowed it to happen," he said, enjoying the simple touch on his face. "More than that, though, I like you. Ive gotten used to hearing your voice on the comm, looked forward to it, you know?"

"I know exactly what you mean," she murmured. "You think I was bugging you just because of the case? That was most of it but I used to come up with reasons why I'd just have to call you. It gave me a kick, the boost I'd need to deal with all the rubbish."

"I appreciated the lift, y'know. The law can be very trying and pleasantries are few and far between. Pretty pleasantries...rare, very rare," Tapu said simply.

"Well then we're just gonna have to keep those up," she teased lightly. "Lots of calls, lots of vids, lots and lots of talking. It's not gonna be easy, Tapu. Have you ever done long distance before? It's hard, really hard."

"No, I haven't," he admitted, "but you're worth any effort and wait. Best thing about the practice is that I will damned sure chalk all my call time up to business expenses. Got to keep tabs on clients and all." He offered her a not too innocent wink.

"And there I went and fired you too," she laughed. That wink really made her stomach twist in a very nice way. He had gorgeous eyes, the kind to just sink right into, all dark and deep. "You sure it'll all be alright? I know it sounds cold but I'll sacrifice this bit of sweetness if it'll put my custody in jeopardy."

"Pania, a wise warrior knows patience, especially when the end result is so worth the wait," Tapu said simply. "And I don't see it as cold. It's what a good mum ought to think of first."

"That didn't answer the question," she said in absolute seriousness. "Is she safe? Am I? He was so cruel in the end, so... not the man I fell for."

"You're very safe here, first of all," he said with as much gravity as he could as he took her hand. "When you come home, I can see to it that he's banned from the country and even from being within a parsec of you or her. I will not allow any harm to you or her."

She kissed his hand. "Thank you, ipo. Then you are very very fired."

Tapu laughed brightly, not caring about the few odd glances he got. "Got to be the first time I ever got fired and was glad of it."

"And I'll make it worth your while too," she winked. "Let's eat first. I'm starved!"

"Sure thing. I could barely eat a damned thing on the way here. Don't care if it's not flying for real, my stomach doesn't know it." he said with a wry grin.

"Now why would you go and fall for someone so addicted to space travel if it makes you sick?" she teased as she waved down a waiter. "I'll have burger and fries please, medium rare with bacon on cheese."

"Same reason you fell for some tattooed maniac traditionalist who is admittedly a bit chauvinist?" he asked deadpan. "Hey, mate, if you got any fresh fish, or something approximating it, that'd be great with fresh veggies."

"We have replicated, will that be okay?" the waiter said carefully. That was one really strange looking guy, scary too with all those tats, girl he was with was gorgeous though, classically beautiful.

"No worries, that'll be fine though you'd think somebody would stock a pond..." Tapu mused.

"We don't have a pond on this ship," the waitor said, backing away then striding off while trying not to show any weakness or fear.

"Damned shame that," Tapu said with a straight face before outright laughing again. "I'm thinking he'd've fainted if I said anything more."

Pania laughed brightly. "Poor guy, never seen a real warrior before."

"Pansies," he snorted. "I'm guessing asking if I could hunt one would have been too much?"

"I wouldn't," she grinned. "Or do it and I can have a laugh."

"Ah, too much effort though Maybe I'll get your dad to help. Now two of us would be too much fun," he said, delighted at her grin.

"I'll just sit back and watch. I love a good wind up." She couldn't not smile at him. There was that first flush of love that made her feel just so good but there was something else, something bright and good, that she'd never felt before.

"I know it's kinda mean but I can't do it at home without messing with stereotypes," he chuckled.

Her eyes narrowed teasingly as she asked, "What stereotypes? And be careful there, be warned, I have a very hard kick."

"Us savages have to keep tourists happy," he said with a wink. "I actually go to the education center when they have the shows. I swear they get disappointed to learn I not only speak Standard but am actually educated and live in a pretty decent apartment."

"You sound as bad as pa-pa-," she groaned. "Before he lived in the outback, we were all in the city, it always disappointed people when they found out he not only can drive, he actually owns a groundcar."

"It's why he's a good chief, Pania. He can live in the present and still maintain tradition. Airini's lucky she has him and her other grandfather. She won't miss out on any part of background," Tapu stated. "I like that guy, too. I went there all fixed to hate him, just on principal, but I'm glad I was wrong."

"Told you," she cackled. "He's a really awesome guy, Airini loves him, hasn't stopped talking about kittens and the petting zoo."

"Maybe the bastard was the milkman's kid?" Tapu asked.

That made Pania laugh with glee. "That would fit!"

The waiter smiled at the laugh as he brought over the two dishes. "Your meals. Enjoy the food. Have a good evening."

"Hey, you sure you haven't got a stocked fishing place? Because I can nab one with a spear easily," Tapu told the man straight faced. "One quick jab is all it takes."

The waiter went positively grey and shook his head very quickly. "No, sir, please, enjoy your food." This time he practically bolted for the other side of the lounge.

"Now that was funny," Pania giggled.

"Yeah it was," Tapu snorted but his expression softened and he reached to touch her face. "You should laugh more often, Pania. It suits you."

Her eyes warmed and she leaned over to kiss him very gently. "I'll have to be sure to do just that, ipo."

"Now for that I can wait until the twelfth of never for you to return," Tapu said against her lips.

"I will come home, I promise, because this," she held his face between both of her hands, "is worth coming home to."

"I'll make it a nice one, too," he said simply. "Maybe some siblings for Airini?"

"Dozens," she said with utter ease and a bright grin. "Just because Frank made the whole process utter shit doesn't mean I didn't love it. I love having kids, I always did want a huge family."

"At least one boy, though, eh? No outnumbering a man," he said with a smile. "Somebody to take and get the ta moko like my pa-pa- did with me. Heh, listen to me getting all sentimental."

"Just so long as he gets taught a really healthy respect for women. No underestimating us, okay?" she poked.

"No, that I promise, Pania. I know I talk the traditional line and I learned it from my dad but there's no denying that nobody dares disrespect my mum. You never met her, I don't think, but she's as fierce as he is, just differently," he explained.

"I never knew my mum," she shrugged. "My father doesn't talk about her and I just never asked. She disappeared, that's all I know. I think that's why I'm so intense about Airini. I want her to know her mum, to know I love her."

"Ah, I'm sorry, Pania," Tapu said, squeezing her hand. "You like Mum. She's a traditional lady, works in the house, but she's as fierce a mum as you."

"That's the kind I'm gonna be when I get home," she said almost absently. "I'm going to do all the things I always wanted my mum to do, things my Dad just never quite got, y'know? Girls really are alien to their fathers."

"It isn't just that, Pania," he said with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "It's your whole half of the species."

"Want a quick introduction then, handsome?" she giggled as she popped a fry into her mouth.

"Yeah, go on then," he said as he snagged a fry.

"Lesson one," she said as she leaned over and kissed him, "can't have too many of those."

"Mmm..okay, I can keep that in mind," Tapu said with a deep rumble in chest, almost a purr. "What else?"

"Never tell her she looks ugly, never criticise the way she dresses, always bring flowers or chocolates but don't be insulted if she complains that chocolates make her fat." Then she giggled at him, shaking her head. "Actually, it's all bollocks. There's one golden rule for women: treat us like you'd treat any one else. We have just as much right to respect as any man does and probably more so because sexism is still a problem even now."

"You could never be ugly and the rest is easy but give a chance on that last bit. I'm trying. Really I am. Ask Mum when you meet her," Tapu said holding up both hands.

She took his hands and kissed them one at a time. "And trust me, you're being given the chance. Wanna know why things went south with dear old Frank?"

"Yeah I do. I kind of wonder if it's him or a cultural thing," Tapu said, enjoying the kisses.

"It's because he wanted a mindless piece of ass to just follow him around and look pretty," she told him, snorting in honour of idiots. "I got pregnant and he thought he'd use it as a way to make me behave. Really didn't work."

"Te mutunga ke mai o te rori o te tangata," Tapu snarled. "That's no way to treat any woman. Ever."

She snorted again. "Tell me about it. Hence the restraining order."

"I know some people who know some people who...nah, that's just illegal. Never mind." Tapu shook his head. "It's bad knowing people on both sides of the law."

"Don't go there, ipo," she sighed. She shifted her chair round so she was right next to him then touched her hand to his cheek, moving his head just enough so she could kiss him. "I'm fine now, free from him, free from everything he did to me or said to me. I've got a beautiful daughter and a handsome ipo."

"Ah, no worries, love," he muttered. "I was just thinking out loud. Us decent sorts like to defend the ones we love."

"That's why you get the girl," she said primly. "The handsome prince always does."

"Nope, no prince. Just a regular old foot soldier warrior litigator pain in the ass," Tapu said with a mock bow.

She lifted his chin and kissed him ever so lightly. "Defender of the weak, protector of small children and keeper of my heart."

"That's me then. Can I be sexist about one thing though? Only because Mum's a good cook. Please, no replicator in the kitchen. Real's so much better."

"Y'know, that's the only time my Dad ever yelled at me in my whole life. I asked him why we didn't have one, pushed a teeny bit too hard, and he lost it," she shrugged. "He finally explained that he just can't cope with that level of technology inside the house. It really bothered him, I've never seen him so uptight before or after." She sighed then a cheeky grin crept over her face. "Then again, he did cook all the meals."

"Ah no I don't want to upset him but it's really because real food's just plain better. The folks put it in my head early on is all," he explained.

"Mine too but as I said, my Dad cooked. So that makes you the only one between the two of us who has a chance of being able to actually produce a meal," she laughed.

"Thank Mum then because she couldn't let me leave the house without knowing how to eat. She threatened to go with me otherwise," he snorted.

"Oh and she is so not telling me how to raise my kids," Pania said with a teasing glare. "I'm doing just fine with Airini."

"I don't think she's like that. I think she'd be glad to just have some grandkids since her only child seems to be dragging his feet just to torture her," he said with a smirk.

"We'll just have to see what we can do about that then," she said with a real twinkle in her eye. "Tell her I fully intend on giving her lots and lots of grandkids, lots of anklebiters to play with."

"I think she'd really like it." He touched her cheek again, with the back of his fingers. "I can only imagine how much more beautiful you're going to be at her age."

"Let's not wish our lives away just yet, ipo," she whispered, leaning into his touch that felt so light despite how strong those hands were. "I want to be young and vibrant before I have to be old and wise."

"I'm good at day dreaming," he said with a nod. "It's a good thing to do on those rainy days where you can't do anything outside."

"Then day dream about us now," she said. "Dream of what it'll be like living together, having children, being happy, making love."

"Not unless you wanna leave right now," he said with a rueful laugh. "You are much to attractive to leave it at just dreaming. I would hate to picture you touching every single tattoo I have because, believe me, they go from waist to knee just like your dad."

Her heart flipped right over and all she could do was grin suggestively. She touched his knee under the table, tracing a light pattern, just barely keeping it decent. "Then let's leave right now. I want to see those tattoos, ipo, all of them."

His answer was a low suggestive growl that emanated from somewhere within his chest. "Yeah, let's because I think I jusr developed an appetite for something else."

She grabbed his hand and practically skipped out, not even needing to drag him. There were just too many people about for her to kiss him the way she wanted so she waited until they were out of the lounge and the corridor was completely clear before pressing herself to him. "Your place. Don't wanna wake up Rini and my father would just distract us way too much."

"Even though you know damned well that's probably what he was hoping we'd end up in the middle of," Tapu said with a chuckle.

"Mm-hmm," she grinned. "But I'd rather he wonder than know right off. Love him but right now, this is not his business."

He had too much respect for Pania to to touch he like he wanted to in public but Tapu did put his arm around her, simply to feel her against his side as they walk. "I'll even let you undo this braid. My hair's a bit of a wild thing otherwise."

Grinning up at him, she tried to hold back images of him with his hair wild and free. "Good. Wildness is good. Wild, free but still safe, if that even makes sense."

"Oh it makes plenty of sense. The wise warrior knows when to control and wait, when to tame rather than destroy," he said soberly before grinning. "I'm channeling my great grandpop."

"Keep doing it, it's working really well," she laughed. "And hurry up, where're your temp quarters?"

"That way, four more down," he said with a wink.

She pulled him along, still laughing brightly. "You're dawdling," she accused with the answering wink.

"What? Do you want me to throw you over my shoulder like a savage? Hmm?" he asked even as he picked up the pace.

Slowly her smile turned sultry. "Actually... That sounds deeply sexy."

Stuck behind a desk lawyer or not, Tapu Io was no soft bellied slacker. With a mischievous glint in his eyes, he stopped dead in his tracks then bent to lift Pania in his arms. Settling her over his shoulder, he rubbed his cheek against her rear. "Nice," he purred as the door to his temp rooms opened, "very nice."

She yelped as she was hiked up then purred in appreciating, both at his strength and at the very nice view. "Mmm, tell me about it. You have the most perfect backside I've ever seen."

He supposed he should have completed the charade by dropping her on the bed but, instead, he set her down very easily. "You, my dear, are damned gorgeous and sexy and I intend on making you know it."

"Awww, you stopped," she grinned as she ran her fingers up his chest then around to play with his braid. "Y'know the whole dominating thing is just too sexy for words. Feminist I may be but there's just something perfect about having a guy who knows how to take the lead in bed."

"Oh hell, now you say it," he snorted. Then he looked at her with something of a wolfish glint in his eyes. "The fine line between savage and civilized, eh?" He leaned to kiss her as deeply as he'd wanted to all those months, his hand between them to squeeze and knead a breast. "Tell when it's too much."

"Won't ever be," she outright groaned. She yanked on his braid, pulling it free so she could unravel it and sink her fingers deep into his hair. She ate at his mouth, her tongue sliding deep inside as if she could actually climb in. "More, god I want more."

It felt so free and natural when his hair was loose and that just made him feel all the better. He pressed himself to her, knowing full well that his bulge was as hard as a rock. His hands weren't at all subtle as they pushed under her top and bra to fee bare skin. "Take that off or I may just wreck it by accident."

"I'd say wreck it but I like this top," she grinned as she tossed it on the floor in one movement along with her bra. She yanked at his own top, dragging it up his chest. Just above the top of his trousers she could see the start of his tattoos so she sank to her knees and traced them lightly with her tongue.

His head went back in simple delight as she licked the tattoo edges, his hands clenched at his sides. "Oh damn that feels good," he growled as his hands laced through her hair.

"How about this?" she breathed, zipping open his fly and sliding down his trousers and underwear enough to release his hard, hot shaft. Those tattoos flowed over his hips and she traced them with her fingers as she took him deep into her mouth.

His answer was an inarticulate growl. Her mouth was some warm, so tight...

She sucked long, slow and very hard, her hands kneading at his buttocks as she did. He tasted musty, salty but so good, like a real man. He was strong too, she could feel it just in how he held her before and now.

"Pania..." He took a deep breath and made a gesture with his hand. "Come up here."

It was good to be told what to do, no please, no will you, just do it. Frank had always... No, she stamped down the comparisons right that moment. Tapu deserved so much more than that. Rising up, she kissed him and sighed against his lips. "Yes?"

"If you keep that up, I won't be able to do what I want," he said plainly even as he stepped out of his shoes and kicked away the underwear and trousers. "What I want is you, to touch and feel." He nibbled the side of her neck. "Taste, too."

"Do whatever you want," she outright purred. Her hands drifted down and she brushed over the skin of his backside, tracing where she felt the slight rise of his tattoos.

"Lose the shoes, eh?" he murmured in her ear, nipping at the lobe.

She kicked off the sandals obediently, shivering at the attention he was giving her. "Mmm, that feels amazing." She cupped his buttocks and squeezed. "You feel so good."

"Nice ta moko?" he asked even as his hands reached to undo her trousers. He pushed them down rather gently then licked his lips. "Gods, woman, you're beautiful..."

"Gorgeous. I could spend a lifetime just tracing those patterns over you," she grinned. The trousers were kicked off with the same abandon as the rest then she pressed herself close so she could feel his hardness through her panties.

"Then you can certainly do that," he said as his hand went into the panties. He let out a low hissing as he found the dampness, his fingers tickling there insistently as his other hand kneaded one of her nipples.

Before she had a chance to respond, he started creating the most wonderful sensations in her and she gasped. Her legs wobbled badly so she clung to him just to stay standing. "M...more..."

When she moved to cling to him, Tapu did what seemed right. He lifted her, holding her to him. "Like this? Hmm? Do you want that?"

"Yes," she hissed, wrapping her legs around his waist.

With one quick move, he sank himself in her, groaning loudly at the very feel of her. He backed closer to the wall to get some balance, biting his lip until he could. "Oh yes..." he said as he thrust into her. "yes..."

This was exactly what she wanted. A strong, handsome man filling her, moving in her. "Harder," she growled. Pushing her hands into his hair, she pulled him close so she could kiss him with the passion she felt.

Wanting that for months, wanting to touch and see and feel, it all built up in him and he put it into what she asked for. He built a hard and fast rhythm, letting it come as naturally as he could.

Hard, yes, this was it. She felt her body start to shake and she clung to him as she started to scream, her head tilted back. "Yes!"

That did it to him, the scream and the nails in his skin. Tapu gave a groaning shout as he slammed into her a few more times before finally spilling into her.

She collapsed in his arms, shaking and laughing.  "My god that was good."

"Yeah," he said shakily, still holding her.  "Worth any wait."

--
"I like to write when I feel spiteful; it's like having a good sneeze"---D.H.
Lawrence