[USS Sirius] "In the Beginning" by Captain Bethany Sharma and Commander Selneth Tren

  • From: "Bethany Sharma" <captsharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usssirius@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:08:37 +0000

"In the Beginning"

By Captain Bethany Sharma and Commander Selneth Tren

"Captain's log, stardate: 4250.6. The Sirius has been ordered to rendezvous with the starship Enterprise to pick up a diplomatic party en-route to negotiations with the government of Koralla IX. Koralla is in a strategically important sector close to the Klingon border, and the Federation hopes to negotiate rights to set up monitoring and refueling facilities in the system.

"We will also be picking up some new personnel from the Enterprise, including our new Chief Engineer, Selneth Tren, who will also be acting as my first officer."

Captain Bethany Sharma strode into the transporter room, nodding an acknowledgement to the chief on duty.

"Enterprise has signalled she is ready for transport," the man reported.

"Energise transporter," Sharma ordered.

The chief adjusted his board carefully before activating the mechanism. There was a gentle hum as the device powered up, then a shimmering sound as goldern sparkles began to coallese in the transport chamber. After a few seconds, a number of humaniod figures began to appear out of the glowing light.

Selneth blinked once then shuddered slightly. Transporters always made her spots tingle. It wasn't exactly a bad sensation but it left a tickling all over that was a little disorienting. Focussing her eyes on the woman in gold, she smiled and saluted.

"Commander Tren reporting for duty, ma'am," she said smartly.

"Welcome aboard, Commander," Sharma replied, extending a hand. "It's good to see you again. I assume this is our other new arrival?" Bethany enquired, indicating the man standing next to Tren.

A slight flinch crossed Selneth's face as she took the Captain's hand and nodded. "Ensign Augustine, this is Captain Sharma. Captain, this would be Ensign Sam Augustine."

Niiiice, he thought though he saluted smartly. Two women in the command chairs? Sam was no sexist, but someone must have messed up somewhere. Surely not even the most equal minded recruiter would put two women in charge. "Reporting for duty, ma'am," he echoed his Chief.

Sharma nodded to the young ensign, then turned back to Commander Tren. "I'm sure you're itching to get into the engine room and take a look at your new facilities, so I'll let Chief Wirrel here take your personal effects to your quarters whilst you familiarise yourself with the ship." Bethany mentally checked her timetable. "Space Commissioner Henshaw and his diplomatic team will be beaming over at 1830 hours for a reception in the Captain's Mess, so I'll need you here with me to greet them - full dress uniform, I'm afraid."

"Of course," Selneth nodded simply. "Off you go, Ensign, I'll catch up with you in a moment." With a slight sigh, she watched the man smirk but stride away. "Decent engineer, bit of a sexist but good where it counts," she mumbled, rubbing her forehead. "Which uniform do you want me in? Gold or red?"

"Red," Bethany said. "An XO's job is a vital one, but so is a Chief Engineer's, and I know how important it is to have a good team spirit in the engine room." She was briefly concerned by Selneth's description of Ensign Augustine, but quickly shrugged it off. He was part of Tren's team, and if she thought it wouldn't interfere with his job, that was good enough for Bethany. "Shall we?" she said, indicating the door.

"But of course," Selneth nodded. She followed the captain out, taking in everything as they went. A new ship, it was exciting and somewhat scary. She'd had her own Engine Room before, but never as XO.

It should be an interesting voyage.

Are you using the latest version of MSN Messenger? Download MSN Messenger 7.5 today! http://messenger.msn.co.uk