<USS Meridian> Re: Arrested Attention

  • From: "Charles Singleterry" <Razerwolves@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussmeridian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:10:39 -0500

Great Log!
----- Original Message -----
From: <hunterangel@xxxxxxxx>
To: <ussmeridian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 4:50 PM
Subject: <USS Meridian> Arrested Attention

> Arrested Attention
> by Lt Junior Kailani Kai & Lt Junior Oridian Starfire
>
> Kailani passed from one side of the cell to the other, her frustrations at
the recent events rising.  Oridian and her had been arrested and no one on
the Meridian knew.  "Stupid Marina and her stupid guards," Kai mumbled as
she hit the wall with her fist, bringing it back in quickly she cursed as
pain shot from her hand up her arm.

> Sitting cross-legged against the back wall, Oridian's eyes were closed and
to any passerby it would seem almost as though he were almost asleep.
Without his eyes opening Oridian speaks "Regardless of the situation, there
is no reason to get upset, nor injury yourself against the wall like that.
If it continues to hurt in around 5 to 10 minutes I will take a look at it,
but in the meantime why don't you come sit down and join me?"

> Letting out a 'humph' Kailani moved and sat down next to Oridian, crossing
her arms across her chest and glaring out at the guards keeping watch over
them.  "How can you just sit there and pretend like none of this is
happening?  Don't you care that we have been taken prisoner for no apparent
reason and that no one on the Meridian knows whats going on with us?" she
asked, trying not to take her frustration out on her friend but probably
failing.

> Oridian seemed unphased by any of the anger Kai was showing at this
moment. He knew she had a short temper and unfortunately when that came into
play her reasoning sometimes went with it. "Ms. Kailani there is a time and
place for everything. If I were to get angry and worry about her current
situation then all I would is cause despair for myself as well as for you. I
know we are going to get out of here it's just a matter of waiting for the
right moment. In the meantime why don't we just talk like two humans on a no
rmal day?"

> "Alright, two humans on a normal day.." Kai sat silently for a moment
after saying that.  "Well, um, how are you doing?" she asked, knowing it
sounded stupid but figuring it was the easiest way to start into a normal
conversation.

> Oridian almost seemed to smile and opened his eyes as he looked at her.
"Has anything been bothering you Kailani? Aside from our current situation?
Anything onboard the ship?" Oridian knew it was time to find out what was
making Kai so upset so easily, aside from personality of course.

> Sighing she rested her head back against the wall and internally debated
whether or not to tell the counselor about her inner struggle.  Coming to a
decision she nodded her head.  "Yeah, something's bothering me," Kai said
before rubbing her eyes.  "I'm not ready to get married yet and I feel like
that is all Mortok cares about is getting married and getting married as
soon as possible.  I don't know how to talk to him and tell him that I want
to hold off on the marriage for a while more without hurting his feelings
really badly."

> Oridian nodded; well it made sense at least. "Well, would your reasoning
for not wanting to get married yet be involved with your duties onboard the
Meridian?" Oridian's eyes shift as he sees one of the guards look over at
them when the word Meridian came up. After a few moments the guard turned
back to his comrade, obviously uninterested in whatever the two humans were
talking about.

> It took a few moments before Kai answered.  "Yes and no.  I don't want to
get married and then suddenly either turn Mortok into a widower or end up a
widow myself.  Besides, why do we have to changes things when everything is
going so nice for both of us right now?"  Kailani decided not to also
mention that she hated being pressured into anything even if it was by the
man she loved.

> Oridian turned his body and faced Kai. "Are you afraid on commitment Ms.
Kai? I mean realistically if one of you were to die now you would more then
likely experience the same amount of lose as if you were to lose each other
after marriage. It seems like something else is bothering you though. If you
do not wish to speak about it now I understand but my advice for you is
quite simple." Seeming to smile for a moment, Oridian spoke again after a
slight pause. "If Mortok is the man you love and who loves you, he will be
able to wait until you are ready for marriage, though I suggest you do not
postpone it indefinitely. Therefore I suggest you just confront him and tell
him the truth on how you feel. Much easier said then done, but done it must
be."

> Kai hit her head back against the wall lightly a few times, glad that the
pain in her hand and dulled to a throbbing ache.  "Damn it Oridian, how do
you do that?  How do you know exactly what I'm thinking and whats going on?
Freaking it's weird."  Kailani had to wonder if she really was just that
open of a book, that Oridian had been able to see right through to the
problem and that was that she was scared of commitment and to actually get
married was such a huge step, it truly frightened her.

> "Almost everyone is scared of some form of commitment. Some people are
scared to be committed to a single task and not be able to explore at all,
such as being stuck in a cell or an office. You are scared not of the
commitment of marriage but of what all of that brings into your life,
including your sole commitment to one person. All of the aspects of marriage
that you've heard about are what make you believe that it is something you
are not yet prepared for. It is not uncommon and do not like less of
yourself for it. However, when you are ready, you will know it." Oridian
placed his hands together in front of him. "Also, I do not recommend all of
the pain your causing yourself, it won't be helping us later on."

> Mumbling something about counselors always having answers she nodded and
held out her hand to Oridian.  "It still hurts, not so bad but still hurts,
would you mind taking a look at it?  I don't think it's broken but I would
feel more comfortable if you just looked it over."

> Nodding Oridian took Kai's hand and looked over, turning it around once
and back again as he inspected it. "Tell me when it hurts." With that
Oridian began to gently move Kai's hand in different positions, working both
the wrist and hand muscles.

> Pain shot through her hand and up her arm when he moved her hand backwards
the tiniest bit.  Biting her lip, as to not make any noise of pain she told
him, very quietly and in a slightly deadly voice, that what he had just done
hurt pretty bad.

> Shaking his head Oridian gently placed her hand back on her leg as he
spoke. "Well, looks like you've given yourself quite the sprain,
unfortunately nothing I can really do right now since they took my tricorder
and med-kit, well I can do this." Standing Oridian walks over to a corner of
the room relatively out of sight of the guards. Taking off his uniform shirt
Oridian pulled out of the knives he had hidden in his uniform and cut
several pieces of cloth off of his uniform. Hiding the knife back in his
uniform Oridian redonned what remained of his shirt and sat back down in
front of Kai. "Hand please."

> Kai could only stare in shock at Oridian and she gave him her hand back.
He had knives, hidden under his shirt, that meant that the guards hadn't
searched him as well as they had her, as well, that meant they had weapons,
a possibility for escape.  "Why didn't you say anything?" she asked in a
hushed tone, hoping to not draw the attention of the guards.

> Oridian smiled as he proceeded to firmly wrap Kai's hand so to lessen the
pain in her hand. "Because it wasn't necessary at the time, plus you were
too busy pounding any walls to relax and listen. Its alright though, I told
you we will be getting out of here eventually, its just a matter of the
right opportunity, but I'll explain my plan later on." Oridian finishes and
surveys his handiwork. "There, does that feel any better? Granted it's not
the best in the world but the best I could do at this moment."

> "It'll work wonderfully for now, at least I'm good with both hands," she
said grinning, just thinking of all of the different ways the two of them
could get out but Kai decided it would be best if she just waited patiently
for Oridian to be ready to reveal his plan to her.  "Well, I'm sure whatever
you've come up with will work fine."

> "Well if you have any suggestions please run them by me, but not now of
course. Our friends are not going to leave us alone for a little while
still." Oridian sighs as he turns again and leans back against the wall,
closing his eyes. "In the meantime I suggest you relax and gather your
strength, maybe a nap or perhaps even some meditation would help?"

> Kailani rolled her eyes at the thought of her actually meditating, she had
never done that in her life and didn't really see herself as being the type
that would but the nap did sound nice, she was extremely tired.  "Yeah, your
probably right."  Getting up off the bench, Kai laid down on the floor,
taking off her uniform shirt, balling it up and using it as a pillow, so
that she was laying there in just a tank top and her uniform pants.  "Wake
me up if anything interesting happens," she mumbled to Oridian as she closed
her eyes and tried to fall asleep.

> Oridian didn't say anything, nor did he even open his eyes to see what she
had. She needed to rest and before this day he would every bit of her skill
and training to survive this. Focusing back again, Oridian emptied his mind
as he flowed into another realm, one full of nothing at all.