<USS Meridian> "Care of the Caretakers"

  • From: "Brad Ruder" <GroundZero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussmeridian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:54:05 -0800

?Care of the Caretakers?
by Captain Kyle Pierce
& Lieutenant Mortok

The lights had flickered to life, bathing the bridge crew in the golden ambiance that they were accustomed to. Kyle pulled himself off the deck and realized that Jason Ziredac was missing, Syd Morgan was on the ground unconscious, and Giya Idrys was looking over her obviously distraught. Kyle ran a hand over his neck and looked to the only other person who seemed to be competent on the bridge - Mortok. "Lieutenant, report!"

Mortok, now sitting back at his console after looking over Syd Morgan, tapped his console. After a minute he turned to face the Captain. "Sir, most systems coming back online, but at the moment we still have no engines or weapons sir."

Damn. "Mr. Idrys, you have the bridge. Mr. Mortok, you're with me. We need to have a chat with our Klingon friends and at least inform them of what's going on. I could use your Klingon expertise again, Lieutenant." Kyle motioned and stood, walking briskly to the turbolift - relieved when the doors parted with their familiar hiss.

Mortok stood and looked to the ensign that would relieve him and watched as he sat. He walked over to the turbolift and stepped in beside the captain. "I will do what I can Captain."

The turbolift ride was uneventful. Things were just on edge - everyone could feel it. Kyle had faced Klingons before and had even taught a few and he knew they were vicious in the classroom and out. Mortok had become one of his most trusted officers and he was glad to have him at his side. "I'll handle most of the talking, I just may need you to be there to smash their honor-seeking ways and force them to deal with what's happened, OK?"

Mortok, standing beside the Captain, was looking at the doors awaiting the lift to stop when he heard his voice. "Understood, sir." Mortok knew that the Captain was a good diplomat and Mortok hoped that words would be all that was exchanged. He knew that with any encounter with other races, especially the Klingons, it was never easy.

The walk down the corridor was longer than ever. The twists seemed never-ending and finally the doors loomed before him. Taking a deep breath and giving a nod to Mortok, Kyle stepped through the doors. The Klingons weren't as delighted to see him as he had imagined and the Captain - Larg - stood up and 'greeted' him with a grunt and a disgusted look. "Glad to finally make your acquaintance, too, Captain."

"What is going on, Starfleet! Where are we and what honor has been taken from us?"

"First off we're in the middle of some temporal wave - some sort of medium that can't be identified. Things are running hot and we're trying to find a way out of here." Kyle made motion with his hand, "We're stuck with this situation and there's nothing that you or I can do about it."

Larg looked at him and then a sideways glance to Mortok, "We should still be on our ship! That would've given us the honor we deserve! We would've gone to Sto'Vor'Kor!" The Klingon grinned and showed his sharpened teeth for a moment before suppressing it again underneath his gruff exterior.

Kyle turned sharply to his helm officer, "Mortok, do you want to tell him what happened to his ship?"

"Gladly Captain; first off when the wave hit it ripped the ship from aft to stern. Your ship never stood a chance. It has been turned into a bunch of floating debris. And as for the honorable death?I never saw any combat. You were sitting there awaiting death. That is not an honorable death." Mortok stated as he stood there looking at the Klingon Captain.

Kyle smiled and looked at the Klingon Captain, "How's that for you?"

The Captain turned to his people, only like twenty or so of them left, "When will we be able to get back to our people, Starfleet? We like not the idea of staying here any longer than we need to." Obviously the cleanliness of the ship wasn't to their liking. Klingons did have a habit of wallowing in their own filth.

"I don't know Captain, but we'll get you out of here as soon as we can."

"Good, the sooner the better."

"I'm going to make Lieutenant Mortok here your official liaison. If you need something, go to him. If you have a problem, you go to him. If you need to drink and dance and be merry, you go to him." Kyle smiled again as he motioned to the lieutenant standing next to him, "And if you feel the need to complain and moan about your situation, keep it to yourself. I don't want to hear it, and neither does he. Understood?"

Larg simply nodded.

"Can you handle that, Mr. Mortok?" Kyle said as he turned to Mortok again.

"That is satisfactory Captain. I would be glad to offer what ever assistance I can," Mortok said with a smile. He knew that having to go to a Starfleet officer, and a Lieutenant to boot was not going to brighten up their day. "Shall I have the cargo bay prepared for their stay or shall I escort them to guest quarters Captain?" Mortok looked at the Captain with a ?leave them here? look hoping that he would not over step his bounds.

Kyle looked around, "Set them up here. That'll be all Lieutenant. When you're finished here, return to the bridge." With that Kyle nodded and walked out of the cargo bay with one final glance to Larg - who was practically foaming at the mouth.

Mortok looked at the Klingons a few minutes before tapping his comm. badge and requesting bedding and the such to be delivered to the cargo bay. As soon as they acknowledged Mortok he closed the comm. He then stated, in Klingon, ?I have bedding and a stuff to make you feel at home on the way."

Mortok then pointed to the replicator and walked over to it. He made some programming adjustments to it so that nothing other than food and drinks could be replicated. "If you get hungry and want to be alone with yourselves, please feel free to use the replicator. If you wish to go to Seven Forward to eat I will see if I can arrange it."

"Do you have any questions before I depart to my duties?"

Larg gauged him up and down for a moment, sitting in completely silence. "No, Lieutenant, we don't need anything from you." With that he turned his back on the Starfleet officer and returned to his own people, muttering amongst themselves.

"If you need anything just tap the communication panel on the wall." With that Mortok turned and walked out of the cargo bay and returned to his post on the bridge.