<USS Lovisa> "A Hike to Remember"

  • From: Mara Ryell <mara.ryell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usslovisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 23:38:32 -0600

*"A Hike to Remember"*

starring Chance Bennigan & Mara Ryell

/(OOC: This log occurs prior to the last sim. We didn't have a chance to finish it until now.)/

While the council of the planet was working to arrange a meeting, Chance realized he had some free time and decided it only fitting that he take his leave with the bridge crew. Grabbing his hiking gear, he started to make his way down to the transporter room

Mara stepped back as the turbolift doors opened, hiding a smile as the Commander stepped out with some equipment. He was clearly planning a trip to the surface. "Planning an expedition, sir?"

Chance adjusted some of the gear. "I found a ridgeline that looks great for a hike." A thought popped into his mind and Chance smiled. "Interested in joining me for my expedition?"

"Right now?" With Joy occupied and no other friends on board, Mara had to admit that her plans for the next hour weren't particularly appealing. And the thought of a hike was far too tempting. "I'd have to grab my gear first."

"I'll meet you in the transporter room then" Chance smiled and continued on his way down to the transporter room

There were times that Mara really wished she was more organized. This was one of them. Even though she had quickly made her way back to her quarters, she had no idea where anything was. After digging through several containers stacked in the corner of the room, she was finally on her way to the transporter room. The doors slid open and Mara walked in, hoping the commander hadn't changed his mind and left without her.

Chance finished his conversation with the transporter chief and turned to Mara. "The coordinates are all set; let's go enjoy the fresh air." Chance gestured Mara to the transporter pad as he stepped up himself. Mara joined him and a moment later the shimmer of the transporter had faded to reveal the beauty of the planet below. She suddenly recalled Moon's words about the planet seeming "too peaceful". There was something unusually calm about the environment.

"What's the plan, sir?" she asked as she turned to face Chance.

Chance took a minute to orient himself. "We hike north along the ridgeline, and if I picked the right coordinates, we should get a splendid view of a valley after about an hour's worth of hiking."

"Sounds like you've got it all planned out." She let him lead the way, looking to see if there was anyone around. "To be honest, I hadn't even planned on visiting the surface."

"I've got a destination picked; I don't know what we're gonna find between here and there." Chance turned to Mara with a puzzled face. "You really weren't interested in setting foot on a new planet?"

"Interested, sure. Maybe not as much as some of the crew. I don't think I really gave our guests the best impression, and I didn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable. Including Dr. Mollin-Kilgarran."

"Bad impressions happen ..." Chance looked around and breathed the fresh air in deeply "...but there's nobody to upset around here."

"Just my commanding officer," Mara replied lightly.

Chance laughed as they came upon the first sheer wall they had to climb. "I suppose I'll just have to leave you at the bottom of this wall if that happens."

"So disciplinary actions on the Lovisa are handled a little differently." She looked up at the wall. "Haven't done this outside a simulation in sometime."

"I wouldn't call it a disciplinary action as much as I would call it say ... a lesson" Chance began to make his way up the wall. "If you're not comfortable with the climb I'll send you a rope when I get to the top."

Send a rope? Mara reminded herself that he was her commanding officer before responding. "I think I'll be able to manage myself, sir." She started making her way up the wall to the right of him, perhaps more quickly than she should have.

"That's more like it Lieutenant; now just don't fall off." Chance looked over at her with a grin and continued his climb

"Fall off? You're the one who picked the worst spot to scale the wall," she shot back, continuing to climb.

Chance looked up and noticed she was right; there weren't many handholds above him. "Worst spot ... most challenging spot ... same thing." Chance worked around the more difficult areas, getting close to the top.

Laughing, Mara reached the top and hauled herself over. "Well I hope you're enjoying the /challenge/, sir." She took a moment to catch her breath as Chance pulled himself to the top.

"I love a challenge, Lieutenant." Chance dusted himself off and took a drink of water from his canteen.

"Then you must be enjoying our current diplomatic situation."

Chance sighed. "I guess you could call it a challenge. I just found it tough to see the Captain have to take a step down, although I think he was right in doing so"

Mara hesitated. "I'm sure he made the decision he felt was correct, sir. I didn't feel that it was necessary." She began moving forward again.

"Well what's done is done, we have plenty in front of us to worry about" Chance continued forward her her.

Mara's eyes traveled the ground of the path in front of them. Was he referring to diplomatic issues, or their hike? "I haven't seen anything to be concerned about, sir."

"So far things have been peaceful and these people seem to be very friendly. I feel at a strong disadvantage when talking to them though, maybe that's why I feel on edge"

"Because they seem to know far more about us than we do about them?" Mara stopped suddenly and faced him. "Commander, do you trust them?"

Chance almost tripped at Mara's abrupt question. Regaining his balance he replied, "I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt, but trust is earned, Lieutenant."

"That's probably exactly what they're thinking." Mara walked past the commander, hoping he hadn't noticed her amusement when he was taken off guard. "Better watch yourself sir," she said, glancing over her shoulder to make sure he was following. "We're pretty far from everyone, up here. I'd hate to tell the crew that you went and smashed your head on a couple of rocks."

"What they're thinking is exactly what I'd like to know," he said, catching up to Mara. "And don't worry about me. It takes more than a few pebbles to do me in." Chance gazed ahead. "I think we're getting close." Mara silently nodded her agreement with the last statement and they walked for a few minutes without speaking. Looking up ahead Chance saw a clearing followed by lots of blue sky, "I think that's the spot right up there" Chance said as he pointed towards the clearing

She followed him, instantly rewarded by the view that surrounded her. "You sure know how to pick them, sir." Mara looked around her, suddenly struck by a homesickness she hadn't even experienced since the academy.

Chance smiled. "Outside of playing soccer, exploring the wilderness was my favorite thing to do." Chance walked to the far edge of the clearing observing how the view opened up into a lush valley.

"You and me both," Mara responded quietly, walking up next to him, sharing in the view. "I can see why they might treasure isolation." She thought of her quarters back on board the ship. They were pleasant enough, especially for a junior officer. But right now the thought of the ship seemed so confining.

Chance took in the magnificent view and let his stresses melt away. "It's more like they're hiding than trying to isolate themselves." That felt like a revelation to Chance and he pondered it.

"There's nothing wrong with either." Mara picked up a small stone from the ground, turning it over in her hand. "Sometimes people just want to be left alone."

"That's true." Chance paused. "Take one last good look at that view; it's time to head back to the ship." They stood there a moment more, surveying the landscape. Then Chance commed Lovisa. "Two to beam up." And with a shimmer, it was gone.