[ussbansheec] Wax Figures and Real Heroes

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 13:54:16 -0400

_ Wax Figures and Real Heroes_
by Rosemary, David, and Sarah Lynley & Kathryn, Dominic, Illyana, and Anastasia Rasputin

with Jean Luc Picard and Kestra Riker

Rosie went looking for her two youngest, knowing where she'd find them. David might complain about being the only boy among the four Lynleys but he got along well with his sisters. As she expected, she found them both in the front sitting room, each working on their homework. Typically, David was sprawled out on the floor, as if he were going to flip on the vid screen at any moment to watch his beloved Crystal Palace matches. Sarah, on the other hand was reclined on one elbow on the sofa.

"Are you two about done?" she asked. David gave her a look that spoke of disgust with the assignment in general but he looked at his sister then nodded. "Done enough to interrupt for company?"

"Who's that, Mum?" David asked from the floor.

"US!" squealed two voices as two heads popped out from behind their aunt. Both girls had long black hair and dancing hazel eyes. The smiled and waved.

David grinned over at Sarah and both stood up rather quickly. "Hey, they're better than company, Mum," Sarah exclaimed. "They're family."

"You want 'em?" asked a boy who walked in with his hands in his pockets. "You can have 'em." Unlike his sisters, Illyana and Anastasia, Dominic had brown hair like his mother and blue eyes like his father, the reverse of his sisters.

"Be nice, Dom," Kitty warned. "Stop trying to sell your sisters to the highest bidder."

Dom smirked. "Who's sellin' 'em? I'm giving 'em away."

"I have three of them already so a passing visit's enough, thank you," David said with a cheeky grin even as Sarah gave him a swat on the arm.

"You are such a brat," she hmmphed at him.

Kitty laughed. "My poor David, all these girls to live with and put up with. You really should ask Vanir how he managed with the likes of your mother and Aunt Lexie."

Both David and Sarah crossed the room to give their 'aunt' a peck on the cheek but then David grinned again. "Teleported away no doubt. I think hiding over at Uncle Alfred's is a good second choice in this case."

"It's hard to hide from Aunt Lexie," Illyana informed her cousin. "She can smell you out like Uncle Wolvie."

Anastasia nodded. "But at least she's not as scary as Ms. Laura."

"Don't let them fool you, kids," Rosie chuckled. "You know how much of a contact sport 'tag' is when you go there? It was just as bad when we were younger."

"Must have been a while ago," David mused then he barely missed the swat that came at his head. Smiling his father's smile at her, he added, "Mum, all I meant was that any damage looked to be repaired."

Kitty laughed. "I don't know about that. 'Ro's herb garden has never been the same since her rosemary planets blew up."

"I sincerely doubt Daddy meant to do any permanent damage," Rosie said with a mock prim air.

"But I notice he also stays well away from Nanna Lynley's flowers," Sarah giggled.

Illyana giggled, she thought that her uncle Remy was the most handsome man next to her Papa.

Dominic rolled his eyes.

David's eyes lit up as an idea occurred to him. Bad enough to be stuck with a gaggle of silly girls (not that he minded them but these weren't any that were 'lookable') but when that gaggle included his mother and aunt--forget it. Still, he didn't mind the company.

"Mum, can we take the air shuttle into town?" he asked. "We can show this lot the wax museum and the park..."

"Oh yes!" Sarah exclaimed. "They have this fantastic new figure of Captain Sulu."

Kitty smiled as her two small ones suddenly became ever more perky. She wondered, not for the first time, if she were ever that bad.

"Please Mama!" Illyana asked.

Anastasia turned to her aunt. "Please, Auntie Rosie?"

Dominic even added, "Sounds like fun."

"It's broad day light and these two have been there with Nathaniel or his nephews dozens of times," Rosie told Kitty. She tapped her lip as she thought it over. The twins were quite level headed and, more importantly, they knew their way around. She offered a shrug. "I'm inclined to say yes."

Illyana and Anastasia looked at their mother waiting.

Kitty thought it over for a few moments. "Alright since Rosie thinks it's ok, it's ok." She looked at her children carefully. "Behave yourselves," she warned.

"We will," the girls chimed together.

Kitty looked at her son.

"What? I will," Dominic replied. "Geesh."

"Yes!" David exclaimed. "I don't know what other special exhibit they have this month but they're usually fairly fantastic. Mum, remember when Dad saw the statue of Captain Kilgarn?"

"I do," Rosie said severely, "and you had best not even think of using that sort of language in front of the girls."

"Daddy holds a grudge," Sarah explained.

Dominic snorted. "So does Mama, ask her about the last time she saw Ms. Frost."

"Dominic." Kitty rolled her eyes.

"Take your jackets in case it gets too cold later," Rosie warned. "That football jersey is not enough in this weather."

Kitty laughed. "Does David even own anything else?"

The girls went to get their jackets and Dominic's too.

"His father's old duty jacket is his favorite since it finally fits him," Rosie replied, shaking her head fondly as the boy took the steps to his room two at a time.

Kitty laughed. "At least it fits him, it'll be awhile before Dom fits anything of Pete's."

Rosie laughed out loud at that. "But he'll get there. Just look at him! I think those two and the son of Nathaniel's former yeoman ought to form their own football team. Kepas is definitely the size of a walking tree."

"He's a lot like his father," Kitty said proudly as she combed her fingers through her son's hair. "You should see the murals he painted for his sisters in their bedrooms."

Dominic flushed as he shook his mother's fingers from his hair. He said something to her in Russian that made her laugh and then sighed. "Football's for little guys, rugby's better."

David opened his mouth to say something about that but Sarah elbowed him lightly. "Shut up, brother dear. You'll start sounding like Daddy and his friend."

"Lets not get that going." Kitty laughed. "We don't want a repeat of the last time Pete and your dad were together, so if you kids are going then you'd better go."

"Come on, you lot. The shuttle stop's not that far away. We could walk but it would take entirely too long," Sarah said, yanking her brother's arm toward the door.

As they followed their cousins down the street Illyana and Anastasia whispered quickly in Russian, and then stared at their brother.

Dominic just rolled his eyes.

"Do we even want to know?" David asked, raising a brow in a passable imitation of his father.

"They don't want me to mess around," Dominic replied. "They worry too much."

"Oh, well, I suppose there's enough to do at the museum that you won't have to do anything too untoward," David mused as they walked up the road.

"You're the one who told them the Klingons were done all wrong," Sarah pointed out.

"Well, they bloody well were," David retorted. "They don't smile like that you know."

"We've never meet a Klingon," Illyana said as they walked. "Mama and Papa don't leave the planet. The furthest they go is New Work or Muir Island, maybe Germany if Uncle Kurt's there. Grandmother 'Ro says that Klingons are grumpy like Grandpa Wolvie."

"Some of 'em are," David mused. "Next time Dad's friends are over, we have to invite you. Kepas' grandmother's an ambassador for them."

"You have to admit that she can be a bit...ummm...straight laced," Sarah said carefully. She liked Lady Empet but she was nothing like Nanna Lynley or even Nanna Marie.

"But they're superb football players," David opined.

Dominic smirked. "Bet they'd be better at rugby."

"Maybe so," David said mildly.  "Don't have to be as nimble there."

Anastasia sighed and then pointed at the approaching shuttle. "Come on before we miss it."

"Thank goodness," Sarah whispered. "He's as bad as Daddy gets about that sometimes."

"So's Dom," the younger girl replied with a roll of her eyes.

"Uh oh...did I forget..." Sarah muttered as she rifled through her shoulder bag. "Nope!" she exclaimed as she held up here holo camera. "Got it right here. You absolutely cannot got to that museum without one of these."

"Yay!" the girls giggled.

Dominic chuckled. "Drama queens."

"Lighten up," Sarah teased. "You're entirely too young to be acting like Uncle Logan."

Dominic laughed.

"Besides," Sarah added with a sweet smile. "It's true. Do you really think your mum wouldn't like to see pictures? Or your dad? Nanna Marie has one of all four of us laughing hysterically at the figure of Yogi Berra."

Illyana looked confused as they boarded the shuttle and took their seats. "You took a picture with a bear?"

"That's what we thought when we went to find the figure," David said with a chuckle as he stretched out long legs in front of him. "Then we find this strange looking old bloke in a baseball uniform. I always wondered who was named for who."

"Will you show us?" Anastasia asked. "Do they have any of," she paused and looked around before whispering, "you know, 'family'?"

"You know, they had an exhibit once but it was the strangest thing...they only had those that looked...errr...normal," David said quietly. "No secondary displays."

Anastasia frowned. "That would leave out Uncle Kurt, Uncle Hank, your great-grandmother, even Papa when he's steel."

"Exactly," Sarah grumbled. "Nobody like them at all. Mum was a bit miffed."

"Can you blame her?" Dominic asked. "It's just stupid. We can accept all kinds of alien races and yet humans who are different from the baselines are still treated badly." He huffed. "People would lined up too see Ms. Darkholme, she's hot."

"Good point, mate," David said with a roguish smile. "It's bloody ridiculous. Mum was really hurt by it, though."

Dominic nodded. "Mama would have been too on Uncle Kurt's behalf."

Illyana didn't understand adults. Why did they have to treat people that way? Then she looked at David and blinked. "Were you agreeing with the first part or that your great-grandmother is hot?"

"Well, objectively, she is," he told her. "Which would mean that got passed down to my mum and she really is beautiful. Dad swears she's the most beautiful creature in the galaxy."

Anastasia beamed. "Papa says that about Mama too. I think love makes everyone beautiful."

"A wise observation, sweetie," Sarah said with a smile.

The younger girl beamed brightly.

"Is that it?" Dominic pointed out the window.

"That's it," David nodded. He leaned in closer and whispered. "Don't even think about trying the beer vendor, mate. He knows us because of Dad and Uncle Alfred."

"Don't worry, cuz, vodka's better anyway." Dominic teased with a smirk.

"Either way, you sneak any and we're history," David said as the shuttle stopped. "Dad doesn't mind us trying things but it has to be at home where he can keep an eye."

Dominic nodded. "No worries."

"Alright then, chaps," Sarah said as she bounced off the shuttle and onto the pavement. "Shall I give Mum's statement about staying together? This place is much too large otherwise."

"I think it's the same as Mama's given they grew up with the same adults." Dominic laughed. "Though I have to admit it sounds a lot prettier with Grandmother 'Ro's accent."

"Oh, I just realized. They have the 'Greats of Fleet history' featured this month. Have you ever seen what Captain Picard looks like?" David asked as they got on line.

"Only in text padds." Dominic replied. "I wouldn't mind seeing the Voyager crew. Aunt Lexie has a model of the Delta Flyer."

"Oh just wait!" David crowed, ignoring the miffed glare of the matrons behind them. "Just wait until you see just how much the captain reminds you of some one."

Dominic corked an eye brow. "Oook."

"I still think they should have Daddy in the exhibit but he'd be horrified," Sarah giggled as they led the group toward the Starfleet exhibit.

"He should be," Illyana replied. "Papa said he was a real hero."

"That's what we think but Dad keeps saying it was only what a good officer ought to do." David shook his head. "But he also isn't objecting to me taking the Fleet entrance exams in two years. Maybe they've gotten their collective heads out of the sands. They've not given Gabriel too hard a time."

Dominic followed behind the others with his hands in his pockets. "They couldn't argue with the service records of people like Aunt Rosie and Aunt Lexie. They wouldn't have half the engineering upgrades and new fighter designs without them. And Gabe's a natural leader and the Professor says they're in need of men and women who can lead, given some of the new projects. Mama says there's a science officer at Daystrom working on universal thread thing that could be a Pandora's box of trouble."

David nodded. "But you've heard the sort of rot that Mum went through and they only found out about her mutation by accident."

"She threw a charged chess piece at the bloke," Sarah giggled.

"Well, yes," David said with a mischievous grin but then he sobered. "Fact is, Dominic, Gabriel's the first obvious mutant they've let in. I'd love to hear what he has to say if gets home on leave."

"I wouldn't mind asking a question or two," Dominic replied.

Both girls rolled their eyes but it was Illyana who said, "He thinks he's joining to join the Marines."

"Mama says no, Papa says no, so he isn't." Anastasia added. "Mama says he's going to university."

"There are educated Marines out there," Sarah mused.  "Why not both?"

Illyana shrugged. "Mama still says no, she says it's to dangerous."

"Good luck, mate," David muttered to the other young man. "It's bad if one's against it but fairly impossible if they both are."

Dominic shrugged. "They'll get use to the idea."

Anastasia suddenly squealed. "It's the Professor in a Star Fleet uniform!"

Sarah flashed David a grin. Of course that's exactly what they'd thought, too. "Isn't that the funniest thing? Daddy says they even sound alike."

The girls went up to the wax figure of the man who looked so much like the man they knew as a grandfather and walked around it. It really did look like the Professor. "This is uncanny."

"Always wondered what he'd look like standing." Dominic said in a soft tone, not sounding mean about it at all.

Sarah nodded. She understood what he meant. "Do you suppose he looks half as comfortable in that uniform as the Professor does in his Savile Row suits?"

Dominic walked around the wax figure. "Men like Picard were born to wear the uniform and that's all that matters."

"Dad says he's one of the few good officers who actually managed to outlive the service," David mused.

Reaching out Dominic went to touch the comm badge on the uniform but pulled back quickly when his finger tips phased through the metal. Sticking his hands back in his pockets he went on down the line to find the Seven of Nine figure.

"You alright there, Dom?" David asked quietly.

It was a mathematically proven fact, among the 'x-kids' girls our numbered the boys in most of the generations, theirs was no difference. It made the boys stick together, but regardless of that Dominic still trusted David more then most. When he was sure the girl's were fawning over the handsome Captain Riker figure, Dominic withdrew a hand and pushed it through a near by Borg drone.

David kept his surprise to the nonverbal, his eyebrows climbing somewhere near his hairline. More often than not, mutants tended to have mutant children and for one to have four that were not was a statistical nightmare that still gave Dr. Hank nightmares. That aside, none of the x-kids who were mutants ever treated the Lynleys as different from them. They were cousins and friends.

"Your parents know yet?" he asked.

"Mama does," Dominic replied. "I don't phase like she does I guess. She goes completely through things and I can do this." Dominic took a deep breath before phase-merging with the wax drone. Suddenly the thing began to move as if it were alive, and it spoke with Dominic's voice. "I phased through the couch and got stuck."

David flicked a glance toward the girls. Sarah and the two younger ones were inspecting the Counselor Troi-Riker figure. "That had to be painful," he finally said, "though...as you are now could be rather handy."

The Borg smirked. "I could have some fun this way, but I have no control over when I phase out." He suddenly hoped he hadn't just gotten himself stuck inside a wax Borg drone.

"Then perhaps it might be wise to step out before we find out the hard way. I don't think you'd quite be able to breathe under that material," David told him. "It looks a bit heavy."

"I can breath just fine." Dominic told him as he stepped out of the drone. "Mama thinks it's the next step in the mutation."

David breathed a mental sigh of relief when his 'cousin' was free and clear. "But your dad doesn't know? Why not?"

"He's in St. Petersburg," Dominic replied. "Mama doesn't think it's something to tell him over the comm."

David hmmphed in thought. "I suppose not but it's nothing to be ashamed of either," he stated, slowly walking toward where the girls were. "Do you know Grandpa Remy and Uncle Logan asked Dad about that? About what he'd do if his and Mum's kids were mutants? Mum said he just sort of shrugged and didn't care."

"Your dad's a good guy." Dominic shoved his hands back in his pockets. "So's mine but he was hoping I'd do the metal thing like him."

"Do you...I ought to know this but can a person have secondary mutations that are just as prominent as the primaries?"

"I think so," the other boy replied. "Ms. Frost has the psi thing plus she can turn herself into diamond."

David winked at the other boy then put on his English grandfather's best tones. "Tut, tut, then, my lad. You're a growing boy. Things will work out as they should." He barely finished before he burst out laughing. "Relax, mate. You've got time I think."

"Until they ship off to the school." Dominic sighed and then smirked when his sisters came over.

"It's the funniest thing." Sarah said brightly. "The figure of Commander Data has a cat in his arm. A great orange cat."

Dominic laughed. "Is it an android cat?"

"Don't be daft, Dominic. It's wax like everything else in here but the little placard out front says that he kept an orange cat named Spot as a pet," Sarah replied. "I never thought you could have pets on a starship."

"Maybe because it was because of the ship class?" Illyana offered.

Anastasia pointed. "Captain Archer had a dog."

"That's true but neither Daddy nor Mum ever had any on any ship they were on. Daddy says that's why we have Finster," Sarah explained. "Bulldogs, he says, are better mascots than Beagles."

"Well, of course, silly sister," David added.  "They're British."

Anastasia, the youngest of the three Rasputins, smirked. "That's because a Russko-Evropeiskaia Laika wouldn't fit on a star ship."

"Details, details," David chuckled.

"We need to take pictures," Sarah stated. Waving at the Fleet figures, she added, "Especially of this."

Both Illyana and Anastasia ran over to stand in front of the Picard figure. With his hands still in his pocket Dominic got behind the figure. "Come on you two."

"How do you plan on getting the thing taken, silly?" Sarah asked. "Unless you've become telekinetic, which would be rather awesome."

"Doesn't that thing have a timer?" Dominic asked.

"Errrr....yes but." She shrugged and gave a half hearted smirk. "Neither genius brother here nor I have figured it out."

Dominic smirked as he nudged his sister forward. "Have a look, Ann."

Illyana blushed. "May I?"

"She follows Mama around like a groupie. If it's technical she can figure it out." Dominic said rather proudly.

"Have a got at it then, sweetie," Sarah said with a snort of amusement as she held out the camera. "I'm going to study literature. Math and tech and I do not get along, much to Mum's chagrin."

Illyana took the camera and gave it a quick once over. She then looked around for something sit it on. Once it was in place and she was fairly sure it would take the picture without anyone's head getting cut off she called out, "Ok, everyone in place." She bit the tip of her tongue as she tapped at its settings, then walked over and stood where she'd been.

Sarah smiled, mentally figuring how many copies they could make to send to people. As soon as the flash popped, she blinked and almost choked. Elbowing first her brother then Dominic, she whispered, "Tell me I'm seeing things and that's not the real Picard."

"Where?" Dominic asked as he looked around. "With the dark haired girl?"

Sarah nodded fiercely. "It's either him or the Professor's gotten up and started walking."

"What do we do?" Illyanna asked as she watched the man and woman.

"Pop down and say hello?" David said with a shrug.  "Come with me, Dom."

Dominic hopped down and smiled. "Sure, never hurts to make connections."

Jean Luc had no idea why he allowed himself to be dragged to a tourist attraction in London. It was bad enough that he'd agreed all those years ago to pose for the wax figure but he'd had no intention of actually ever seeing the thing. At least they'd managed to enter the museum with no fan fare but he nearly cringed when he saw the group of children posing by his wax twin. Now, two of them, two teen aged boys, were making their way toward him.

"Hello, sir," David said in what was his best imitation of his father's manners. "I'm quite honored to meet you. We were just admiring your figure here."

The man himself seemed taller to Dominic. "We don't mean to bother you, Sir," he added. "but we honestly couldn't pass up the chance to say hello."

The teenage girl on her godfather's arm gave the boys her father's charming smile as her dark eyes twinkled like her mother's.

Jean Luc smiled politely. He supposed teen aged children were better than cadets and wet behind the ears officers referring to him as historical. Ghastly way to make a man feel old. "That's quite alright, boys," he said diplomatically. "It's always a pleasure to meet fine young people like yourselves."

David grinned then, motioning for Sarah and the girls to come down from where they were. "My name is David Lynley, sir, and this is my sister Sarah."

"Dominic Rasputin and my sisters, Illyana and Anastasia."

Anastasia just blinked. "Wow you even sound like the Professor."

The bridge of Dominic's nose blushed.

Jean Luc shook each hand that was offered then actually smiled at Anastasia's comment. "Do I?"

"You see, sir, you look remarkably like the headmaster of the school our parents went to and you really do sound like him," Sarah explained. "Our father said he thought the Professor was a twin of yours at first."

"Charles?" Jean Luc asked.  "Are you some of his children then?"

"Children of his children." Dominic replied. "Or in their case, children of his children's children."

"Do they mean that gentlemen you introduced us to in New York, Uncle?" the dark haired girl asked.

What kind of accent was that? And why did it make Dominic's heart speed up?

"Yes, my dear, the one we met with at that magnificent mansion," Jean Luc told her, recalling with some amusement that their resemblance was the reason for his first accidental meeting. He looked at the smaller of the two boys, who appeared to be wearing a rather old Fleet jacket. "That particular style of uniform jacket hasn't been regulation for quite some time, young man."

"Yes, sir, I know. This was my father's jacket and he let's me wear it now that it almost fits perfectly," David explained, straightening with pride. "Dad was in the Fleet for almost twenty-five years."

"His mom too," Dominic added, not taking his eyes from the girl. "Only no so long. We have other family members in the Fleet too, and we're both joining when we're old enough, only I'm taking the Marine route."

"Nathaniel Lynley," Jean Luc stated, hazel eyes still sharp and bright in an aged face. "Of course, I should have recognized the resemblance sooner." He turned to the taller boy, nodding in approval. "Either branch would benefit from such fine young people, Mr. Rasputin. But do forgive me. I've neglected to introduce my companion to you. This is my god daughter, Kestra Riker."

Sarah shot a quick look at Illyana and Anastasia, almost bursting out in giggles as she realized they'd all been staring at the woman's father.

"It's alright, Uncle." Kestra replied, smiling at Dominic. "It's a little unnerving to come here and see people we know as wax figures." She glanced at the row of Star Fleet figures and laughed at her mother's. "They would use that teal dress and those boots wouldn't they?" Then she smiled brightly. "They really should have you closer to Aunt Bev, Uncle. They've put Mother and Daddy together." Then she giggled. "Look! They've added Grandmother!"

"Hmm, I wonder if Kepas' grandmother was ever in here," Sarah asked. She smiled at the two older and rather awesome people and explained, "Our friend Kepas is the grandson of Lady Empet."

Kestra crinkled her nose and laughed. "I think my Grandmother had a run in with her once, but then again there are few people she hasn't had a run in with."

David covered his mouth but didn't quite smother the inappropriate snort of amusement. "I supposed it was the same with her as well."

"You really should have your parents bring you to the Admiral's ball this year." The dark haired beauty grinned. "It's promised to be rather amusing."

"Well that would be interesting," David said wryly. "He still holds a grudge against a few he won't name."

"Yes but he and Mum still go anyway," Sarah added.

Dominic finally looked at the others. "So do Aunt Lexie and Ms. Frost."

"You should ask if they'd bring you," David stated, ideas already forming in his head.

Kestra smiled. "It would be nice to have people my own age there. No offence to my parents and godparents, of course."

"None taken, my dear," Jean Luc said with a gentle pat on her hand. It had taken him many, many years to feel even remotely comfortable in the presence of such young people and it seemed to him that this particular group was rather a good representation of the age group, even the younger girls. "And are you young ladies interested in Starfleet as well?"

Anastasia shook her head but smiled, "I'm going to be an archeologist and historian."

"I want to be an engineer like my Aunt Rosie." Illyana replied. "I can take a replicator apart in seven minutes," she added proudly.

Dominic bit back a laugh and settled for a grin. "She just hasn't been able to out it back together yet."

At that, Jean Luc genuinely smiled. He could understand that part. "I'm sure you'll master the art yet, my dear," he said warmly. Looking at the assembled youngsters, something they'd said sparked another question. "You've said that you have other members in Starfleet. Might I ask who they are?"

"There's Aunt Rosie and Uncle Nat of course," Illyana answered. "But there's Aunt Lexie too."

"Alexandria Munroe, Sir. She's R&D and teacher for the fighter program." Dominic clarified. "There's also David and Sarah's," He had to pause to figure out what she was. "Great-Aunt, Raven Xavier she's in the security field." He looked at David, "That it? There's to many branches on this tree."

"You forgot Gabriel, mate," David said, resisting the urge to roll his eyes. That would have been entirely too rude in front of this man. "Our cousin Gabriel Wagner is in his last year at the Academy. He's another Xavier graduate."

The name sounded familiar and Jean Luc glanced at his niece. What was it about it any way?

"If I remember my stories correctly, a few years ago you had a rather large fit as Aunt Bev puts it, because a young man was denied admittance to the academy on made up grounds," Kestra said as she thought it over a moment. "Mother said he was a bright young man who got the raw end of the stick."

"Ah, yes. He was one of Charles' students, rather striking in appearance now that I recall him," Jean Luc stated.

"That would be Gabriel's father I think," Sarah told him. "Mum always said he was the better engineer but they wouldn't allow him into the Academy because he was a mutant. Total rubbish if you ask me."

Dominic was grateful for Gabriel, he was making it easier for people like him to get in. He didn't know how Rosie and Lexie were able to bear it knowing they'd gotten in because they looked normal. He couldn't, he'd make it known up front what he was.

Kestra smiled. "Utterly rubbish, and if your cousin is so close to the end he might just show everyone. Daddy's here looking over the new crop of 'fresh meat' for Titan while Mother's at a conference."

"I believe I'll have to keep an eye on the young man now. I do admire such strength of conviction," Jean Luc stated, knowing he was going to also mention the matter to Will.

"Oh no! Don't tell him we said anything, sir!" David choked. "He'll be so angry. He wants to do things on his own."

"Rest easy, Mr. Lynley. After this long in the service, one learns how to keep an eye without really keeping an eye," Jean Luc replied easily.

Kestra beamed proudly. "You don't become one of the Federation's greatest heroes by not being careful, not to mention being able to keep up with my godmother."

"You've not been ported around by Gabriel after dousing him with water," David chuckled ruefully.

Dominic laughed. "He shouldn't have agreed to play 'Wicked' with the girls. It's what he gets."

"One doesn't grow up in or around the school without having a flair for some drama," Sarah explained.

"You know, I used to have quite a flair for the Bard," Jean Luc told them.

Dominic smiled. "So does the Professor. He also favors Dickens."

"There aren't enough sword fights in Dickens, though," Sarah opined. "Gabriel and Uncle Vanir love those."

"What are they putting on this year anyway, Dom?" David asked.

"Tempest," Dominic replied. "For an old friend of your mom's I think."

"Sir," David said to Picard, "you should come. I know it's just a student production but they really do make their own special effects."

Dominic snorted. "The storm scene's great when you have two people who can really make it storm!"

The taller boy with the hint of a Russian accent made Kestra smile. "Can we go, Uncle?"

"If one of these young people would be so kind as to extend an invitation at the appropriate time, I don't see why not, Kestra," Jean Luc said warmly.

Kestra smiled brightly. "We'll even talk Aunt Bev into coming. She's a bit of a theater nut." She giggled. "She use to make Daddy act in all kinds of plays and such."

Dominic smiled when Kestra did. "We'll make sure Grandmother sends you an invite."

"That would be most appreciated. Kestra, my dear, I do believe we are going to be late to my next meeting and we are going to have to cut this rather pleasant encounter short," Jean Luc said with a touch of genuine regret.

Sarah whispered in her brother's ear and David shook his head. "It's your camera, Sarah. You ask."

She poked her twin in the ribs then smiled at Picard. "Sir, it may seem silly but would you mind taking a holo with us?"

Dominic felt his heart sink at hearing Kestra would have to leave.

"I'd be honored. Kestra, would you do the honors?" Jean Luc said as the younger people gathered around them.

Illyana smiled when Kestra reached for the camera. "I can set the timer."

"Even better," Jean Luc stated. "I should like a copy if you don't mind, Miss Lynley. I've found this encounter much more enjoyable than some of the political ones I've had as of late."

"Of course, sir.  I'll send it as soon as we get home," Sarah beamed.

Though she stayed next to her godfather, Kestra made sure she was standing next to Dominic as they all gathered for the picture. She found him charming and really cute.

Illyana set the time then stood next to David. "As Papa would say, everyone say Vodka!"

David smiled for the picture then tickled Illyana. "I really have to teach that man to drink something civilized."

Illyana giggled.

Dominic smirked. "To a Russian, vodka is civilized."

"The only true civilized thing is chocolate," Kestra added.

"Now that sounds plausible," Sarah said brightly before holding her hand out to Picard. "Thank you so much for this, sir."

"As I said, the pleasure has been mine and I hope to see you at the theater production," Jean Luc said as he made to leave.

Kestra took her godfather's arm and tossed a smile over her shoulder at Dominic before walking out.

Dominic blinked and smiled back.

"Don't worry, Dominic," Sarah said deadpan. "I'll ask Mum if she can wrangle her code for you."

Dominic blushed brightly as he feet began to sink into the floor.

"Uh oh," the girls said together.

"Ah, if you have any control over that, I'd come back up before you short out some security system downstairs," David whispered.

Looking down at his feet Dominic sighed. He pulled one foot out and set it down solidly, and then the second which was now missing a shoe. "Aww, man, Mama's gonna go nuts, she just bought these shoes."

"Oh dear," Sarah murmured, "and your feet will be quite cold by the time we get back. Can we get you a pair of sport shoes across the way then smile nicely at Daddy at the pub and ask him to replicate another match?"

Dominic simply nodded.

"I wonder what the people will say when they find a shoe in the floor." Illyana laughed.

"Probably go looking for a barefoot wax figure," David said with a snort. "Shall we call it a day here and get shoes or do you want to carry the one and walk in your socks, Dom?"

"I'll walk in my socks," Dominic replied. "Mama yells all the time cause I go out into the snow barefoot, so I can handle the cold."

David laughed out loud then clapped him on the shoulder. "Now that's a good sport. Come on, let's see what else there is to see. They have a fantastic sports section."

Dominic smirked. "As long as we see more than little footy men."

"Right next door to the oafish rugby ones," David said mildly.

"Sarah," Anastasia asked, "can we look at something else?"

Sarah stuck her tongue out at both boys then held her hands out to Anastasia and Illyana. "Come, let's look at the 'Children through the ages' exhibit and we'll leave the men to their testosterone and chest thumping."

David blinked and Dominic.  "I think we've been insulted."

"I've never thumped my chest in my life," Dominic huffed as he walked off with David. Then he laughed.