[ussbansheec] Twisted Ankels...

  • From: "Moria Grace" <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 13:24:04 -0400

"Twisted Ankels, Pina Coladas, and Football; Things that bring Two Hearts
Together"
John Alen Davis and Iya Fraser

"I want..." The tall, finely sculptured young woman bit her lip and peered at
the rows of bottles behind the bar, her eyes drawn to the most colourful and
sweet. "Now, there's this cocktail, it's all coconut and rum... I just can't
remember the name."

"A pina colada." John Alen replied from his end of the bar. Looking up from his
own drink he smiled at the young woman. "All coconut and run has to me a pina
colada."

"That's it! I so want one of those," she grinned. "Thanks!."

The barman looked the girl up and down but shook his head. "ID, ma'am. You
don't look old enough to order alcohol."

"I'm nineteen," she huffed.

"Uh-huh, two years too young," the barman shrugged.

"Make it a virgin." John Alen told the bar man as he chuckled.

The woman gave the guy at the end of the bar a sour look nd folded her arms. "I
order alcohol at home."

"Different law out here in the black, ma'am," the barman chuckled as he started
the coconut and pineapple cocktail.

"No wonder my sister likes it so much out here," she sighed as she flopped onto
a stool.

John Alen smirked as he watched the girl pout. She did it nearly as well as
Gracie. "It's a shame they went with the North American age limit rather then
the European. Never seemed to stop my sister and her mates though. Guess you
just have to know how to get around things."

"Hmph," the woman huffed once more. "Look, you can hold the alcohol-free baby
juice, I'm gonna get something t'eat. See you around, Euro." Giving her
companion a wave, she sauntered off toward the exit. Just as she reached it,
the door swooshed open and a large Klingon stormed in. In angry frustration, he
pushed the girl. "Hey!" she yelled as she tripped. As she went down, she heard
an almighty crack. "Oh... owowow."

Jumping off his stool John Alen made his way over to the girl. Kneeling beside
her he carefully looked her over, his eyes finally making their way to her
ankle. "Sit still." He told her before calling over his shoulder to the barman.
"Get the medkit out of my kit would you."

The barman rushed over, carrying the medkit and flushing scarlet. "You a
doctor?"

"No, he's a superhero," the girl laughed then hissed from moving.

Taking the medkit John Alen fought the urge to roll his eyes. "Actually I'm an
ex-footballer who happen to fall into medicine, but yes the short answer is I'm
a doctor, much to my mothers' joy." Taking out a civilian tri-corder he quickly
scanned the ankle. "Nice and broken then. Well done."

"Do I get a medal?" she teased. "Or a cup?" She smiled at the man as best she
could, ignoring the irritation of the pain she felt. "Name's Iya Fraser. Gotta
introduce myself to superman, haven't I?"

John Alen gave her a warm smile and a soft chuckle. "If I were superman you'd
either be Lois Lane or Victoria Adams-Beckham. As it is I'm just plan old John
Alen Davis, at your service." He carefully took her ankle in hand as he eased
her shoe off. He then picked up his regenerator and clicked it on. "Try not to
move."

"Not planning on it," she assured him as she laid back and held her breath with
her eyes closed. "So... English, right?"

"Sorta." John Alen replied as he worked on the break. "Mum's English, Mom's
Welsh, got a Scottish great-aunt. I am the UK."

"Hey that's cool. Personally I'm Canada. Inuit and Scots with some French
tossed in there for good measure." Iya stared at the ceiling and hissed again.

Setting the regenerator down a moment John Alen pulled a hypo out, set it one
handed, then applied it to her neck. "That should help, almost done. Canada
huh? Can't say I've been there for a while."

"We have snow," she said softly, making a grab for his wrist to stop him
administering drugs. "Just patch me up, okay? I'm not too fond of drugs."

"Sure ok." John Alen said softly as he put the hypo down. "Can't say we ever
got snow, snow, but we got enough rain to water log an ocean. Cold too."

"Know how to build an igloo?" she asked, trying to make light as she squeazed
her eyes closed.

John Alen laughed and shook his head. "No but I can make a hell of sand
castle." He passed the regenerator over the break a few more times and then
picked up the tri-corder again.

"Me either, can't do sand-castles either," she grinned. "I don't do engineering
of any kind. I leave that to my sister." Letting out a slow, even breath, she
felt as her ankle stopped throbbing. "You fixed it?"

Biting the tip of his tongue John Alen picked up the regenerator and did a few
more passes before declaring. "All fixed. Might feel a little stiff though."

"Stiff I can handle," she told him as she wiggled it around slowly. "It's pain
I don't like too much. Thanks," she whispered, her smile soft as she climbed
tentatively to her feet. "You do good work."

Bright blue-green eyes sparkled. "Thanks, you don't do such a bad job of
breaking things. Might wanna watch out for steam rollers a little more
carefully out here. Klingon once threatened to eat my sister for being in his
way."

"Never met one before," she admitted, staring around to try to see the man who
had knocked her over. Finally, she settled her deep, dark brown eyes on John
Alen and she grinned. Cute, she thought, for an old guy. Really pretty eyes
though. "I keep an eye out for them in future. Have to admit, didn't intend on
being run over by one."

"One never plans such things." John Alen laughed as he helped the girl to her
feet. "They just happen."

Iya bounced up, grinning at how easy her ankle felt. "You do good work. It
doesn't hurt hardly at all."

John Alen beamed. "I'll pass the compliment on to my mothers."

Her head cocked to the side as she stared at him for a minute. "So your
mothers... as in plural?"

"Yeap as in two of them." John Alen answered with a chuckle. "Plus a sister. I
was surrounded."

"Wow and they taught you medicine?"

John Alen shook his head as he lead her to a table. "They supported me in all
my choices, but I chose medicine because of my Mum's mum. She was a doctor."

"You're good. Beats the hell out of spending a month in a cast," she giggled.
Her knees curled up under her as she sat and smiled at him through long, dark
hair.

"Or spending a year laid up because of a knee injury." He replied as he ran a
hand over his knee and then through his hair.

"Ouch, though my sister and brother've both ended up laid up at one point or
another. Sister's a space-fairing, civilian cop and bro's a Mounty." She
shrugged as she tucked a strand of hair behind one ear. "I'm a historian, so
we're a mixed bunch."

He couldn't help but laugh. "A nineteen year old historian? How'd that happen?"

"By going to college," she said slowly as if it was the most obvious thing in
the world. "Got a scholarship at thirteen and now I'm working on my PhD."

"Impressive." John Alen whistled. "At nineteen I was running around a pitch all
day and clubs all night. I don't even think Gracie was that far at nineteen."

"My grandfather's our local shaman at home, he taught me all the old stories,"
she explained, her eyes shining with deep rooted respect for her family. "I
wanted to know more, I got through school quickly so they moved me up. I love
what I do."

John Alen smiled warmly at her. She was very lovely and he found himself having
to keep in mind that she was just a kid. "I can understand that. I've loved
both my careers. It was one of the things we were taught as kids, to choose
something your going to love doing other wise you become bitter."

"Don't know any bitter people, not really. My sister can be..." Iya bit her lip
for a moment before continuing with a shrug. "She's hard sometimes and so
straight laced, but she loves what she does." Her smile sweetened as she leaned
forward to touch his hand very briefly. "Only two careers? You don't include
Super-Hero in that?"

"That's more of a life-style." He teased with a charming smile.

Oh dear, she thought, he really is quite gorgeous. "You do it so well," she
said softly, her cheeks bright as she let her hair cover her eyes again. "You
need a cape and a funky name. Super-Doc, maybe."

"You don't think John Alen's a funky name?" He asked as he reached out and
tucked her hair behind her ears.

"I think it's gorgeous, does that help?" she smiled, blushing even more.
"You're cute, for someone... you know... British." Lame, she screamed inside,
really lame.

John Alen blushed very lightly. "And here I thought you were going to say old."

When she felt herself blush even deeper, she groaned. "My grandfather'd be
teasing me about now. He's so much more eloquent than I am. Besides, he's old,
you're just... you know..."

"Inviting you to dinner?"

Her jaw dropped and she couldn't talk as it opened and closed several times.
"I... was... gonna say British. But that works. Um... I'm staying in a cabin
with my brother. We're on C-deck. You could come over, if you like."

"I could do that." John Alen replied, his mouth suddenly dry. "My great-aunt's
keeping my Mum company so I'm free for a while. Don't think I've ever met a
mounty before."

"He's cool, if a little on the old and stuffy side," she giggled. Offering him
her hand, she stood in one fluid motion, her hair swirling around her. "He
won't bite though."

Taking her hand he tucked it into his arm and smiled. "Now see that's something
I couldn't promise about Auntie Maggie."

"She's not old?" she laughed.

"I meant the biting." John Alen laughed as he allowed her to lead him out of
the bar and down the hall. "But actually she's old, really old, but not old."

"How can you be old and not old?" Her head tilted again but she kept moving so
they soon entered a lift. "That's just... silly."

"Well she looks to be a woman in her early seventies, but she's only been
active since Mom was a teen, and she's only be mobile for.. forty years I
think." To anyone else it all sounded like gibberish, but it made since to him
and his family, John Alen just happen to forget most people weren't family.

"Active? Was she in a coma or something?" Iya asked as she leaned against the
wall but played with his hand that she held. "In a wheel chair?"

John Alen laughed. "No, she's a hologram."

"Oh." Again, Iya blushed. She let his hand go as she hugged her arms around
herself. "Never met a hologram before. You're not, are you?"

"Nope, I'm as real as they come." He reached out and took her hand again. "So
was Aunt Maggie. I mean there was a real one, she passed a few years ago.
You've never really weirded out until you'd been with them both at the same
time."

"Um... depends on if you find spirit dancing freaky," she shrugged. Pushing off
the wall, she approached him slowly, her eyes on his.

He pulled her close and wrapped his arms around her. "Can't say I've ever done
a spirit dance. I've done the chicken dance though."

"Don't think it's the same," she smiled. He smelled so good that she just let
her eyes close and her smile broaden. "What're you going t'do now you've got me
like this?" she murmured.

"If.." He swallowed the lump in his throat. He'd never felt this way around a
woman before, this was even more of spark then when he was near Anna. "If it's
ok with you I'd like to kiss you."

"If?" Her eyes opened as she suppressed a giggle. "I think I'd like that. Never
been kissed before so I don't know for sure. I'll let you know at the end,
though."

Placing a finger under her chin, John Alen carefully titled her head back.
Leaning in he kissed her softly.

Her sigh was long, sweet and happy. "I like," she said before leaning up to
kiss him herself, wrapping her arms around him and holding him tightly.

The lift came to a slow stop, the doors swooshing open in front of Ben. He felt
his cheeks crawl with colour at what the two people inside were doing. "Oh my,"
he said in embarrassment. "Exucse me. I'll just..." He was about to back off
when he saw who the woman was. "Iyaroak?"

John Alen pulled out of the kiss at the sound of her name and smiled. "You have
such a beautiful name."

She smiled dappily at him then over at Ben, back at John Alen and then she
froze. "Oh... God... Benny?" she groaned. "Not quite how I meant you to meet."

Ben folded his arms as he entered the lift. "She has a beautiful name. My
sister is a very beautiful young woman."

"Yes she is." John Alen replied as he looked at the other man.

"Can I ask what you're doing in a public lift with a minor?" Benton pushed.

"I'm nineteen, not twelve Benny," she sighed, her head laying on John Alen's
chest. This is so not fair, I'm never gonna get to do this again.

"You're under age," he told her bluntly. "For a lot of things."

John Alen looked at the other man without any hesitation. "Eighteen is the
legal age of adulthood, unless of course your Vulcan, Delosian, Romulan,
Klingon, Betazoid, or any of the longer life spanned species of the Federation.
Are you any of those? Cause according to your sister your Canadian, your not
even yanks who only count eighteen to young to drink."

"We're Federation citizens," Benton said flatly. "Which makes her young. How
old are you, sir?"

"Benny, please," she groaned loudly. "Leave him alone. Look," she stood back,
dropping her hands away from John Alen, "watch me walk away. Leave him alone,
Benny. I'm not touching or looking or doing anything that could even remotely
be called illegal and neither is he. Now back off, Benton."

"Thirty-four." John Alen answered. "There is nothing illegal here, Iyaroak.
You're over eighteen. The only thing happening here is a brother's
overprotection. Which I completely understand. My own sister is engaged to a
man much older then she is."

"Lacivious behaviour in public," both Iya and Benton said at the same time. She
rolled her eyes as she added, "You have no idea how many men Benny's frightened
off with that one. Both from me and from Caroline."

"It is a serious charge, Iyaroak. Do you have any idea how insulted certain
species could be by observing such things?" He actually shuddered at the
thought. "You're irresponsible. You would freely cause interstellar incidents."

"No, I'd freely admit to actually liking a guy enough to want you to leave him
the hell alone for once," she huffed. "He's nice, Benny. Sweet and charming."

John Alen smiled at the man. He understood where he was coming from, he wasn't
nearly done testing Nasir to make sure he was good enough for Gracie. "I have
cardinals if you want to see them. Both parents, older sister all in Starfleet,
I've an MD from St. Andrew's in Scotland, athletic awards, My Grandmother has a
British title if that helps. Want be to produce a resume?"

"No," Benton said softly, his eyes on his sister. He saw... something. The way
she watched the man was softer than she'd looked at any other man. "I want to
break you in half. But I won't. She's the best of us," he warned.

"I only break when I take risky shots on the pitch, mate." John Alen teased.
"And when my sister pins my arm behind my back. Your welcome to try, but there
really isn't a reason for it. Your sister's a brilliant young woman who
deserves the total respect of a gentleman."

"Then be a gentleman and at least take her somewhere soft and romantic for
whatever you've got planned," Ben said. He stared hard at the man then nodded
once and left the lift, the doors closing behind him.

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, was my brother," she sighed.

John Alen smiled and pulled her to him again. "Enchanting bloke that one." He
teased. "But he was right, you belong somewhere soft and romantic."

"Hmph," she sighed, her head against his chest again. "Nowhere like that on
this ship. That mean you're going away?"

"You would be surprised at the places you can find on a ship." He replied as he
kissed her softly again. He called out a new direction for the ship and simply
held her close to him. What was it about this girl? The only answer he could
come up with was, everything.

"You're lovely," she murmured. "You married or engaged or otherwise taken in
any way shape or form?"

Hopeless crushing on a married woman, he thought and then smiled, once. "Nope,
the only ties I have are the ones I wear around my neck."

"Good." She kissed him softly once more. "Where're you taking me?"

"Somewhere soft and romantic." He smirked.

"I got that bit," she rolled her eyes. "Where exactly?"

John Alen smiled as the lift stopped. "You'll see." He took her hand, kissed
it, and then lead her down the hall. He didn't stop until they were standing
outside an empty holodeck. He left her by the door and quickly stepped over to
the control panel. He tapped in exactly what he wanted, his smile growing
brighter as he did so.

"You're cute when you look mischievous," she observed with a bright laugh.

When he was finished John Alen walked back over to her, stood behind her, and
whispered, "Close your eyes."

She did as she was told but she held her breath. "Not good with surprises," she
whispered.

John Alen simply smiled and lead her carefully onto the holodeck. When the
doors closed they were alone in the middle of Stamford Bridge. He lead her to
the very center of the pitch where a blanket and basket were, but then titled
her head up once again. Above them spread out as far as the eye could see where
the brightest stars in the darkest, clearest sky. "Welcome to my little piece
of heaven."

"It's... Very beautiful," she breathed as she stared up at the stars,
everything around her of no consequence at all. She drew in a deep breath then
let it out slowly. "You live here?"

"I don't live here but it's my home." John Alen answered as he helped her to
down onto the blanket. "This," He waved his hand at their surroundings. "is
Stamford Bridge. One of the oldest pitches in all of England."

"Pitch?" she asked as she curled her feet under her on the blanket. "What's it
used for?"

John Alen looked almost thunderstruck. "Football of course. You do have
football in Canada don't you?"

"Um... I really have no idea. We have hockey, if that helps." She blinked at
him a few times then asked, "Is it like what Americans play?"

"No." He answered simply and then laughed as he pulled her between his legs and
wrapped his arms around her. "What Americans play and call football is a cosmic
joke. They don't even use their feet! Hockey is similar, almost like football
on ice but not quite."

"Be hard to kick a puck," she observed as she leaned back against him. "So you
played football? That was your other career?"

John Alen nodded as he looked around the empty stadium. "Started out on the
junior teams and worked my way up to Chelsea's first team, much to my Mum's
heartbreak, and Mom's joy." He chucked as he cuddled her.

"This why you chose here as the most romantic place to take me?" she asked.

"Aside from being with my family, this is home." John Alen said softly. "This
place is as much apart of who I am as the cliffs in Cardiff."

"I've never been in a holodeck for anything other than educational purposes,"
she said softly as she moved to look up at him. "And I've never been alone with
a man who isn't family before. You're full of new experiences."

Reaching out, John Alen caressed her face. "This is just the top of the match,
lass, there's a lot more we can both show each other."

"Elphaba, where I come from we believe all sorts if things that aren't true..
We call it.. History."
~The Wizard
~Wicked~