[ussbansheec] Broadway Baby 2

  • From: "Moria McEntire" <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:55:17 -0400

"Broadway Baby 2"

Murgos

Standing in the lobby of the theater after her audition Zoe looked at the
padd the woman at the table had given her. A chance to study in New York at
a real performing arts school.  It was almost to much to think about. Of
course there was one problem looming over her utter glee; her parents.

"So how many windows did you break?" Frankie quipped as she stepped in from
outside to pick her up, assuming her best Diva stance and mocking a high
note.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Zoe snapped as she shoved the padd in
her bag.

"Thought you might like a ride back to your hotel, but I'll leave if you'd
rather walk," Frankie answered, smirking slightly as she turned to go.

The redhead huffed. "I don't have a hotel to go to. I haven't gotten that
far."

"Actually, dearest, I do hope you don't mind. I took the liberty of booking
us at the Plaza." Joanna's voice came from the auditorium doors behind her.
Her eyes were still misty with tears. "You sounded like an angel in there,
my dear. I was so proud."

Zoe flinched at the sound of her mother's voice and then she blinked.
Turning to look at the older more auburn then red redhead, she asked, "You
heard? You are?"

"I can't tell you how very proud, darling." Joanna answered, hugging her
child briefly. "so, what did they say?"

"Can we discuss this in the car?" Frankie interrupted. "I'm kind of double
parked."

Zoe pulled the padd from her bag and bit her lip as they headed outside.
"Your not angry with me?"

"While I admit I'd have preferred you'd come out and told me rather than
simply running off as you did, I do understand your reasons." Joanna scolded
gently. "It's your dream."

"I thought you'd make me stay until I finished school." Zoe sighed, still
clutching the padd. "Or say I was to young to live away from home."

"Darling, there are ways to complete your education still and I attended
boarding school, if you please. So long as you are watched over, I will not
oppose you're pursuing your goals. Especially not when you are so very
splendidly talented. I could never hold you back like that, my love." Joanna
looked at her earnestly. "I should miss you terribly. But I would never hold
you back."

Pulling the padd away from herself to look at it she bit her lip again as
she held it out to her mother. "It's an invite to audition for LaGuardia
Arts high school. It isn't a boarding school though."

"Better hope I like the neighborhood then, if we're getting an apartment
close by." Frankie answered with a grin. "I'm due a break and Mom's good
with it if you are. I keep an eye out for you and you become as famous as
she believes  you will. Deal?"

Zoe blinked. "What about the academy?"

"They have a branch here, duh," Frankie laughed. "Besides, I'm allowed ahead
in my studies anyway. It's fine."

Suddenly her whole body was starting to tingle and she felt like the little
girl she use to be, the tiny redhead who always tired to snatch the rings on
merry-go-round. Then reality stopped the ride. "But with Abbie in Hartford
we'll all be on the east coast."

"No, darling. With Abbie in Hartford, Abbie will be on the East coast. You
will be where you need to be." Joanna answered gently.

"And I'll be where you are." Frankie grinned. "Someone's gotta ride your
coattails while you get rich and famous, right?"

Zoe looked at her mother for a long moment. "But you and Daddy will be on
the west coast."

"Yes, darling, we will. " Joanna agreed, glancing at Frankie.

It was just dawning on Zoe she'd have to actually leave home.

"We're here." Frankie announced, pulling into the hotel garage. "Wait until
you see this room, Zoe."

With her dreams balanced on a scale opposite her lack of willingness to let
go of home, Zoe followed her sister and mother up to the room. "What if I
can't do this?"

Joanna stopped and turned to face her daughter, "You are my daughter, and a
Murgo. You can do anything." Kissing her gently upon the cheek, she turned
and entered the room, stepping aside so her girls could follow.

Zoe smiled. She was getting that tingle again.

"Besides, you've got a cute figure," Frankie giggled, moving out of reach of
both of them both before adding, "If you really blow it, there's always
porn."

"Francesca!" Joanna responded, appearing shocked.

"Kidding, Mom," Frankie laughed, winking conspiratorially at her little
sister. "I was kidding..."

Zoe smirked. "Na, that would never work. I got the Westmoorland boobs,
they're too small."

"Now, I will have you both know, my breasts are just..." Joanna began before
catching the expressions on both of their faces. Collapsing in a heap of
laughter, she shook a finger at them. "You are both completely incorrigible,
you know."

"We know," Frankie agreed easily, grinning.

She couldn't help but fall onto the bed as she laughed. "To bad Abs missed
that, she'd have had a stroke!"

"You can, no doubt, tell her all about it at the holiday," Joanna smiled.
"When you all return home for Christmas."

"I haven't gotten in yet, Mom." Zoe sighed as she rolled over to lay on her
stomach. "I still have to try out, there's only three openings, and there's
bound to be a ton of people going for them."

" A ton, indeed, but only one Zoe Murgo," Joanna answered, beginning to
unpack. "You'll get in."

Zoe blew a long red curl out of her face. "One second I believe that and the
next I know I don't stand a chance."

"Go with the first," Frankie smirked. "First instinct's most always best."

"I quite agree, now what will you sing?" Joanna asked, turning to give Zoe
her undivided attention.

Panic welled in Zoe's chest. "I've no idea!" She scampered to get the padd
to see what was required of her. "Schwartz? Lippa? Larson? Sondheim?"

"Sondheim. Definitely." Joanna concluded for her. Frankie nodded. "Which
song?"

She thought about it for a few moments. "It says to bring three songs, what
about Time Heals Everything?"

"How many times do you suppose they hear that one?" Frankie asked.

Zoe glared at her sister. "Well what do you suggest miss know it all?"

"I'm partial to Sweeney Todd," Frankie smirked. "or Gypsy. How about
something totally cornball from them? Any one of those tunes'll do."

The youngest Murgo thought it over for a moment. "I can do Johanna from
Sweeney, something up beat from Gypsy, maybe Some People."

"There you go. Three songs just like that." Frankie grinned. "How good am
I?"

Zoe beamed. "And if all else fails I've known the entire score of Wicked
since I was four."

"And a lovely score it is, darling," Joanna smiled. "Choose the most
difficult pieces you know, the most amazing, flamboyant, wonderfully
memorable songs you know and do them. They'll love you. You'll see."

Zoe bounced to her feet and over to her mother. She wrapped her arms around
the older woman's neck and held her tightly. "Thank you, Mommy." She
whispered.

"I love you, precious." Joanna whispered back, holding her for all she was
worth.

There were tears not only in Zoe's eyes but her voice as well as she
whispered back. "I love you too."

GIF image