<USS Banshee> Time Heals *Most* Wounds (Part 1)

  • From: CptMorrigan@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:52:50 EST

Part one of two logs detailing the medical care of the Captain after her
rescue.  It is a joint effort by Doctor Sara Crusher,  Lieutenant J'van
D'nalls, and Captain Rhiannon Morrigan.

Sickbay seemed to be holding its breath.  Not just the people inside who
waited for the incoming patients to arrive, but the room itself had grown
deathly quiet.  They had been monitoring the communications between the ship
and the away team throughout the ordeal, hoping beyond reason that the woman
who normally stood proudly on the bridge of the Banshee would be able to do
so once again. Doctor Sara Crusher stood alongside the next available biobed,
her attention focused on the place where they would beam in, every muscle in
her body tensed and ready to spring into action.

The gentle hum of the incoming beamin was like rushing water gushing through
a dry creekbed and then suddenly... they were there.  Lieutenant D’nall was
standing like some science fiction hero in an old B movie, bloodied and
bruised while  the unconscious Captain  lay cradled in his arms like an
unwilling heroine.  Her head hung over his arm as scarlet ribbons trailed
from her various injuries, dripping onto the normally pristine floor and
blooming like flowers as it splattered.  Sara opened her tricorder
immediately and began scanning even before J’van could place the inert form
on the surface of the biobed.  Her injuries were more extensive than Sara
would have ever imagined, but she would not allow the shock to interfere with
her duties.

“I need two medkits!  Jenny!  Get me 10cc’s of cortoilnm!”  She began a
scan as the emergency teams stepped into place.  They were a well trained
team, used to seeing the effects of violence on the human body, but when that
body was the Captain…. It just made everyone want to do their job even
better.  Dermal regenerators began to buzz and hum as they began closing
wounds even if they would have  to be reopened later.  It was more important
to stop the blood loss.  Morrigan’s already pale complexion was death like
and waxy, her lips had already been smudged with hues of pale blue.

Crusher looked over at J’van, noting that he was injured as well.  The
ex-Marine was covered with cuts, blood, bruises, and who knew what else and
it was obvious that he was favoring his right leg.  “What happened!”  The
exclamation came naturally, almost accusingly as Sara looked for someone or
something to blame for the condition of her patient.

The was no mistaking the fury that still burned through D’nalls’ blood.
heartwrenching fury that came from fearing that you were too late, that the
damage had already been done…. If he had gotten there a few minutes earlier,
if he had pushed a little harder, had killed a little faster…. If he had
never let her go on this mission of death in the first place.  “I found
her….. like this.”  The words were pale in comparison to the anger he felt.
It was his anger that was keeping him standing…. It was his fury that was
keeping her alive though he did not know it.  Like a moth to the flickering
flame of the deadly candle, Morrigan's spirit kept being drawn back to the
heat of his fury and passion instead of fluttering away to the great unknown.

Morrigan was silent and unresponsive to what was going on around her, which
made Sara more nervous than she already was.  She wanted to shout, yell, beg
the Captain to say something, anything.  Even if the fiercely proud Morrigan
were to open her eyes and berate her for something as simple as the style of
her hair, she would be grateful.  She read the scans and shook her head.
“Dear God, what didn’t they do to her?”

J’van looked down at the woman who he would walk through the fires of hell to
save, with whom he wanted to walk the days of his life and in whose arms he
desired to sleep through endless nights.  He could feel her mind drifting
through pictures and memories of her life like a small child wandering lost
through a many roomed house.  Imzadi, he called through the haze of her mind.
 Focus on my voice.  He felt her come back to him, brushing his mind with
hers before drifting off again.  I am here, you are safe now.  Hold on.

“Get me a med support frame over here!” She shouted  as she looked at her

“Jenny!  Replicate several pints of her blood and have my surgical team on
stand by!”

Sara applied several hypos to the Captain’s neck and watched the monitor
above her head.  Her life signs were thready, but stable.  A good sign, at
least she wasn’t deteriorating.  She took a moment to look at the figure that
stood like a gruesome specter of death as it kept watch over her patient.
“You’re hurt as well,” she observed.

J’van stopped grinding his teeth long enough to look back at the doctor.  If
only he had had time to torture those that had done this to her, he would
have had some satisfaction that she had been properly avenged.  Instead, they
died quickly, his desire to scoop her up and carry her to safety and help
stronger than his desire to take them all apart slowly…piece by piece.
I’m not,” he denied the obvious with simple conviction.

Sara wished that D’nalls was anywhere but here at this moment.  He had
rescued the Captain, now it was time for her to do her job without him just
standing there.  However, Sara knew that there were bigger battles to be
fought at this minute.  It would take a team of security officers and a
tranquilizer strong enough to take down a Borelian dust boar to remove him
from the Captain’s side.  “Yes, you are.  You look like hell.”  Her
moved over the controls of the support frame.  “There’s internal bleeding .
Once I get that that stopped, I’m patching you up, J’van.”

Somewhere in the darkness that was protecting her from being truly aware of
anything around her, Rhiannon drifted.  The smell of heather soothed her and
thousands of shining stars shone watchfully over her.  She stood on the cliff
and looked out at the ocean, aware that her mother stood nearby. There was a
third person that kept fading in and out, she couldn’t see him in the

“Worry about her, I’m fine,” he asserted stubbornly.

Sara’s heart was already racing as she worked as quickly as possible.
Internal injuries due to blunt trauma were no laughing matter and sometimes
difficult to treat quickly. Time was ticking as quickly as Morrigan’s blood
was draining from her body.  “I AM worried about her, but I am not getting
yelled at for ignoring you *when* she wakes up.”

The form solidified and took form again.  It was him. J’van. He was standing
in this field of heather as naturally as shamrocks in March.  Her mother did
not appear startled, but stood serenely as she looked up at the stars and
wept.  You’re not real.  The words formed in her mind.

J’van turned his attention away from the doctor and reached out to finger a
lock of Morrigan’s hair.  Her normally neat braid was disheveled and loose.
Her hair, once lustrous as a raven’s feathers, was flat and dull.   I am
completely real.  Remember our time on DS9?

DS9. Where they had spent a few glorious days locked in a luxurious suite
normally reserved for visiting dignitaries and royalty.  DS9. Where he had
introduced her to the physical aspects of his love for her.  DS9.  Where she
had become his willing student and had surprised herself with the discovery
of a white-hot passion that burned through her soul for him.  He had not been
surprised….Not even a little…. At least not that she could tell.  You tell
me.  I remember everything….. but do you? Her experiences in captivity had
made her distrustful.  She had not accounted for the changeling yet.  Perhaps
this was only a trick.

Every second of it… right down to the Andorian j’lor berry syrup you had on
your Belgian waffle on the second day.  He fed her details to convince her
that his presence was very much real…. That she was safe.

It was yellow.  I found it odd.  Trying to reach through the veil of
unconsciousness to reach him, she took a deep, ragged breath, causing pain to
shoot through her side and envelop her.  Her broken rib had piercedher lung,
deflating it as she tried to draw air.  Her mind retreated back to the
peaceful scene on the grassy hill.

Yes, it took a bit of getting used  to, but you acquired a taste for it.  He
frowned as the medical team burst into a new frenzy of activity.  Her pain
was evident, though she moved not at all.

“Damn it!  15cc’s Morhenolg!  Forget the bay, get me a surgical kit now!”
Crusher ordered sharply.  “Her lung is collapsing.”  She snatched a fresh
med kit harshly from the ever present Jenny.  With accuracy and skill, Sara
began to repair the damage to the rib and the lung as the frame continued to
work on the internals.

Closing his eyes to focus more intently on her mind, J’van began to draw the
pain from her, shielding it from her as he experienced it for himself.
Unsteadily, he put a hand on the biobed rail to keep himself upright.

“J’van?”  Sara questioned as she noticed him fading.

“Y…yes?”  He took a ragged breath as he worked to gain control of the
painand anguish that was rushing through him.

Sara grabbed a tricorder and beganto scan him.  It would do her no good if he
passed out at a crucial moment.  It was bad enough she had to deal with the
shattered body of the Captain, but she couldn’t have him passing out and
distracting her.  “What did you do?  Jump in front of a damn train!?”
Though her words were sharp, her concern was evident.

“I’m fine!”  He snapped at her.  “I’m sorry,” he admitted through
jaws.  “Do not worry about me.”  He mentally controlled his breathing,
notallowing the pain to control him.  “Itis a technique that I used with
Cyanah…. I’m taking her pain away.”

From the bed across the bay, the Legate was sitting up and watching the scene
intently.  It was evident to him who the woman in the bed was.  Without even
seeing her face, he could tell by the intensity of the activity that it was
her.  “Someone has to worry about you, you stubborn mule of a human,” he
spoke so that his words would carry, though none would pay him any attention.
 “I’ve never met you, Captain Morrigan… but you’ve got that man by the
and you better not leave him now,” he muttered to himself.

“For her arm?  Jenny give the Lieutanant 10ccs of asinolyahin and start
running a dermal regenerator over his wounds.”  She nodded approvingly as he
made no move to stop her.  “Thank you, J’van, but this is more than a
wound to the arm. Some really sick SOB had a lot of fun with her.”

“I know,” he acknowledged.  “I’m feeling every bit of it.”

Morrigan’s mind hovered at the edge of consciousness as she began to breathe
more easily.  She could hear things around her, the beeping of consoles, the
hushed and murmured conversations.  Is he dead?

Your captor? Very much so.  He didn’t show her what he did.  He would let her
see it in his report.  The words on a PADD would lessen the harsh fury of his

Crusher returned her attention to the Captain. “Her lung is stable. I'll have
it back to normal in no time.”  She looked at her patient.   “Come on,
Ma'am, hang in there you have a lot more yelling to do.”  She checked the
readouts from the support frame.  “Most of the interal bleeding has slowed.”

“Good.”  He looked at Rhiannon's face and saw that her lips were regaining
their rosy pinkness.

Thoughts and memories from recent happenings began to trickle into her mind.
Cyanah?  Where is Cyanah? She was with you… I left her with you.  Panic
tinged her thoughts.

“Jenny, get that blood ready and once all the holes are patched… start a
slow drip.”  Sara made sure that Jenny nodded before going about her ordered

She is fine.  Back in her quarters resting, I believe.  He made the
assumption based on the fact that Cyanah was nowhere in the area on any of
the nearby biobeds.

Suspended over a void of eternal darkness, Morrigan held tightly to
thoughts as if they were a rope that was keeping her from falling.  I never
got to tell you… I didn’t know how to tell you….   Her thoughts were
and she stirred restlessly on the bed.

About what?  He kept his mind level and smooth, despite the pain that shot
through his body from his wounds and hers.

The tension of the procedures began to drench Sara’s skin in sweat. “Is it
me or is it hot in here?” She moved to the frame controls briefly before
beginning the final steps in repairing the lung.  “Oh, no you don’t.”
quickly pressed a hypo to Morrigan’s neck, sedating her further to keep her
from moving.  “No moving around… not unless you WANT zigzag marks along

That I loved you.   Rhiannon sighed as the medicines relaxed her body further.

I love you as well, Imzadi.  Calm down… be still… soon this will be all
  Disturbed at her use of the past tense, his hand traveled to her cheek and
traced the path of a single tear that had slipped from her eye.  A wave of
profound sadness washed over J’van as she wept silently in her mind.

They killed Murphy, J’van.  I tried to save him.  I should have been able to
save him.

Crusher felt her own body tense further with every movement.  “I think
got her all plugged up.”  She initiated another full body scan.

Having no idea who Murphy was, J’van focused on trying to calm her.  Do not
think of Murphy now.  He winced briefly as she squeezed his hand hard and
then returned the pressure gently.

“Almost every bone in her body is crushed,” Sara stated.  She was
exaggerating, but only slightly.  There didn’t seem to be an extremity that
was not somehow damaged and every quadrant of her body was wounded in some
way. “Wow, her shoulder is really messed up.”  She looked at her tricorder.
“She is going to be sore for a really long time.”

The image of her shooting the Legate floated through her mind and her panic
levels rose again.  It wasn’t me, Imzadi… you must believe me.

Of course, I do…. And everyone else believes you as well.  He patiently let
his mind walk with hers as it gathered bits and pieces and began putting them

Crusher sighed as she examined the shoulder further.  It was obvious that it
had been dislocated at some point and then popped back in.  By the contusions
surrounding it, Sara could come to only one conclusion.  “Ok, Ma’am.  No
more home doctoring.  That’s what you pay me for.  Your shoulder is a
 She continued to talk to the Captain from time to time in a one sided
conversation. It made her feel better to think that Morrigan could at least
hear her.  She swiveled a chair closer to Morrigan’s head and sat to work on
repairing the shoulder.

The Legate?  Is he dead?  Her mind kept flipping like a rolodex as she
addressed whatever thoughts landed on top at any particular moment.

No, he is here.  Safe with us.  Thanks to Sara. He glanced over to where the
Legate sat up in his bed watching the proceedings intently.  Their eyes
locked as a momentof understanding passed between them. “I can’t believe
that she is more concerned about this Murphy and the Legate than she is about
herself…” he muttered.

Sara flexed her hand, trying to relieve the cramp that had formed from
gripping a tool too hard.  “This is going to hurt.  Jenny, give her more
painkillers.”  Popping the shoulder out to realign the tendons and ligaments
before popping it back in again was the only way to do it properly.  She
glanced at J’van with concern to see how he was holding up.  He was looking
much too haggard for her tastes.  She grimaced as the joint released and set
about realigning the tendons and repairing the nerve endings.  “Don’t get
mad… I have to do it,” she mentally chastised the prone woman.

TRAITOR!  Rhainnon's mind screamed an alarm as a random memory of what the
Vorta had said to her pierced through her.  Someone on board!  Her good arm
twitched and jerked, the elbow knocking some equipment to the floor.

“Jenny, 2cc’s of deactouin.  She’s getting upset,” Sara snapped at
around her.  “J’van, calm her down!”

Calm down, Imzadi…..  you must focus on my voice…. Calm.

“I can’t realign everything if she’s moving around, J’van,” she said
irritably.  “I have to get to the skull fractures, but I can’t if her
adrenaline levels don’t go down.”  She watched as Rhiannon finally settled
again and her vitals leveled out.  “That’s better.”

You’re in pain, J’van.  To distract herself from the more troubling
thoughts, Morrigan began to play with the mental link between them, testing
it, probing it, trying to determine what it was that she could and could not
do.  She tasted his thoughts through her link to him.  It’s my pain, J’van.

No, I am not.  Focus. Don’t think about it.  Think about us.  He frowned
slightly.  This was not the way this should be happening.  They should be
somewhere alone with each other.  A deserted beach.  A solitary mountain.
Someplace relaxing and peaceful and calm where they could just concentrate on
each other and he could teach her the finer points of what this link meant
and how to use and control it.  Hell, even locked in his quarters with their
commbadges turned off would be better than this. Don’t worry about my
Focus on my voice… be calm, please.

Sara moved to the skull fracture and was pleased to see that the swelling was
mainly superficial.  There was no danger of the brain swelling and causing
damage to the brain stem. “Come on now, Captain,” she encouraged as she
worked.  “You have to pull through this.  I left my post again and Andros
doesn’t yell like you do.”  She took a long, deep breath as she realized
that the life threatening issues were under control.

A faint smile whispered across Morrigan’s lips.  Did you just say…*please*?

Moving to the lower half of Morrigan’s body, she stopped and stared at the
place where the Captain’s knees should have been.  In their place was charred
and blood caked flesh. Gaping holes and shattered bits of bone.  The trauma
team had done a good job of sealing up the area and preparing it for
reconstruction.  “My God, J’van…. I hope the man who did this was
punished.”  She sat and began the long, slow process of rebuilding what was
there and replacing what wasn’t.  “She’ll need a cane for awhile… I
if that’s really a good idea,” she mused aloud.

J’van turned his head slightly to look at her.  “The man that did this was
punished for his crimes.”  His voice was chillingly cold though his thoughts
that he allowed Morrgan access to were warm and supportive.  Yes, I am
begging you to relax until we can get you safely out of danger.

Marines don’t beg, J’van… is it that bad?  A coldness griped her as she
tried to remember the extent of her own injuries.

It’s not… but I did not think you would take a direct order from a
subordinate.  A small smile twitched at his lips as he heard her laughter in
his head.

Looking up from her work, Sara understood what he meant.  “Good, and I hope
that he rots in whatever form of hell that they believe in.”  She frowned in
concern. “She should be feeling less pain by now J’van.  She’spretty
up.  I think you need to ease up a bit… you’re not looking so well.”

Listen to her, Imzadi. I don’t want you to suffer.  The pain levels had
indeed decreased due mostly to the fact that she had enough drugs pumping
through her system to drop an elephant to its knees.

I will be fine.  It was taking more effort for him to concentrate, though he
exhibited no outward signs of it.

I want you fine, NOW.   Her thoughts had the familiar ring of someone who was
used to being in charge and giving orders.

After wiping her face on its sleeve, Sara discarded the bloodstained lab coat
before returning to the gruesome task ahead.  “She’ll need to have another
surgery to completely repair the damage, but once she’s stable we can deal
with that.  Other than that…she’s looking at being my guest for awhile.
Startled by the sudden beeping of the monitors, Crusher saw the stresslevels
of the Captain skyrocket.  “Damnit!  She’s doing it again!”  She turned
look at J’van.  “Are you arguing with her?!”  She and Jenny scrambled to
stabilize her.

“She’s not listening to me,” J’van sighed and grumbled.  He knew that
Morrigan had heard the comment about being a guest and was irritated with it,
but said nothing.  He watched as the monitors began to report her leveling
out again.  “She’s concerned with my pain. I want you to inject her with 5
cc’s of Darzalene.”  He ignored the *Well, yeah, DUH* look that the young
doctor shot his way.  “It will make her unable to feel the pain feedback
without diminishing our connection.

Sara looked at him as if to say,“Excuse me?”  “She’s on enough pain
J’van.  I’m not risking an overdose.”

“Then inject me with it…. It will bottle up the pain in me.”  In way of
explanation, he continued, “It’s not so much a pain med as much as it is a
neurological suppressant.”

“Fine.  Since you refuse to let go of what ever link you’re channeling the
pain through.”  She stopped to prepare the meds in the hypospray. “Will you
at least sit down? This stuff may make you a bit lightheaded.”  She stood
expectantly with the hypo balanced between her fingers.  “I’m not doing it
until you sit down.”  Sara gestured to Jenny to bring him a stool. As the
warrior sat begrudgingly, she pressed the hypo to his neck before squeezing
the release mechanism. “Stupid Betazoid male. Humph!”  Sara turned from him
and resumed repairing the last of the Captain’s major injuries as well as a
few minor ones.  Along the way, she stopped to check the work of some of
those who had helped.

I have to say that I agree with her.  Morrigan teased through the link.

Not caring to respond to the ribbing, not to mention too weak as well, J’van
sat silent and weary trying to gather his strength.

Imzadi…. Don’t leave me.  She reacted to the closing off of the feedback as
the med began to do its job.

Never.  He gave her hand a gentle squeeze and traced her face with his
fingertips,   stopping to examine a bruise here or an abrasion there.

Tell Sara that she should be getting hazard pay for this.  She mentally

Sara walked to the other side of the bed and adjusted a light sheet over
Morrigan’s form.  She had depleted the last of her energy reserves long ago
and was now running on the back up generator of adrenaline.  “We’ve gotten
most of it, J’van…. It’s up to her now.”  As she went to run yet
scan of the resting Captain, she noticed the Chief of Security wince as he
tried to find a comfortable position on the stool.  “What’s wrong?”

A searing pain shot through his nerves as he shifted his weight again. “She
is… thankful,” he said to pass on the sentiments that Rhiannon had shared
with him as he tried to mask his own discomfort.