<USS Banshee> "The Strongest Bond"

  • From: "Brad Ruder" <GroundZero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:00:27 -0700

?The Strongest Bond?
by Lieutenant Joshua Asper
& Ensign Telsia Ehling

Josh held Cameron in his arms as his eyes searched over a PADD. "How about the USS Zodiac? I hear that Captain Arrasmith is very good with children and wouldn't mind having a child onboard. I mean, from the crew manifest and population docket, there are already fourteen children on board and more on the way." Josh slid the PADD over to Telsia who was sitting at the desk.

Sighing, she turned it to her and looked down at the information presented to her. It was all so much, in just a short time she had met up with Josh again, left her husband, moved in with Josh, taken their relationship to the next level and now they were looking at transferring to another ship together because Banshee wasn't big on having children aboard. Telsia looked up at her love holding their child, "are you sure they will let us transfer together, since we're not married?" she asked. She was so scared of losing Josh again; she would do anything she could to stay with him.

"I don't see it being a problem, but there are other ships. There's the Whitewater under the command of Cartwright, and then there's the Nonenton under Klein. I mean there are other choices. I just don't see it necessary to impose on the crew if we're not wanted here." He shifted Cameron to his other arm, sighing heavily, and meeting her gaze. "We make this decision together."

Telsia nodded then rested her head in her hands and just sat there for a moment, staring off into space. "I agree with you, we shouldn't stay here if we're not wanted and all these ships sound so great. I'm just not sure which one," sighing she folded her arms and laid her head against them, bury her face in her arms. It was frustrating, trying to decide which ship they would want to transfer to. All of them seemed wonderful, great in fact, she just didn't know which was the right one.

After setting Cameron down, Josh walked over and put a soothing hand on Telsia's shoulder. "I know that this decision is tough, but I think that it's the best thing for both of us, and Cameron. There's a plethora of places to go - we could even go and work a Starbase if it suited your fancy." He pushed yet another PADD across the surface to her. Josh didn't want to go in reality, but he did want to be with Telsia. He'd set his roots here and didn't want to get up and leave. What he would do for love.

Picking her head up off the table, Telsia grabbed Josh's hand and just held it, needing to feel his warmth. She knew he didn't want to leave and that made her feel worse about wanting to leave. He had friends here; he had created a good life for himself here and the only two reasons she wanted to leave were because of Cameron and she wanted to put as much distance as she could between her and Eric as possible. Though, she knew, that if they stayed here Eric wouldn't come near her ? not with Josh so close. Bringing his hand up to her lips, she kissed his knuckles lightly, and then holding it against her cheek, she whispered, "Is there anyway we can just stay here?"

Josh pulled his hand back and stepped up onto the landing just in front of the window. He stared out into the abyss of stars for several silent seconds before swiveling on his heel. "I could go and talk with Commander Andros about it, but there's no guarantee that he'll accept and if he doesn't then there's nothing I can do. If you'd like I'll go talk with him." His voice had a lining of hope to it, but he kept it low as to not make the decision she was facing more difficult then he already knew it to be.

She stepped out from behind the desk and walked up to him. Wrapping her arms around his waist she nodded into his back, "yes, I want you to go talk to Commander Andros. I hope, in my heart, that he will just let us stay." She squeezed him lightly before turning and walking back over to the desk to clean up the PADDs that were left sitting there, she wouldn't get rid of them, not till she heard if they could stay or not, but she would just put them away for now.

"What if he won't authorize the stay? I mean there's a chance that we'd be split up if we even tried to relocate. We're not married, like you said, which means that we've got no preference or edge up on placement. We could end up in different quadrants or on different planets. I'm not sure if I could handle not having you with me." He moved over and threw himself on the couch, heaving a sigh of relaxation as the pillows and cushions consumed him. "What would we do then?"

Cameron sat on the floor, playing with a few of his toys, mumbling the few words he knew together and making some up as he went. Telsia moved around the toys on the floor and sat down softly next to Josh. It was time for her to say something she was very scared of saying. Sitting there watching her son, she spoke quietly, so that Josh had to strain to hear what she said, "Then we'll have to get married, as soon as my divorce is filed." Her heart was a racing a thousand miles a minute. She knew that this was the only way for them to stay together if they had to transfer.

"What?" He turned and looked her in the eye. He had an _expression_ on his face that was of a completely bewildering nature. "Get married? We've been reunited for less then a week and you're already talking about wedding bells and releasing white doves? I love you, Telsia, but I think that that is jumping into things a bit quickly." He placed hand on hers and kissed her lightly on the forehead, "I'll go talk to Commander Andros first thing in the morning."

She hated being patronized like that, moving away from Josh she stood up and went about cleaning up some of the toys and other things that were laying around their quarters. "Oh, forget I said anything about marriage, I was just thinking out loud," her feelings were slightly hurt by his reaction. Here he was talking about trying to stay together and wanting to be with her and transfer to the same ship as her and basically be married, yet when the words were spoken, he freaked. She grabbed a pair of her shoes that had been left by the door and walked into their room to put them away.

"Tel..." Josh's voice trailed as she disappeared into the other room, "I didn't mean it like that. It's just really soon. I'm not saying that I don't want to, or that I haven't thought about it, but I'm not ready for that step. I don't know how to explain it, I don't know what to tell you, but my feelings are exactly what I've been telling you." He stood and looked towards the open doorway, hoping for some sort of compromising reassurance.

Putting her shoes in the closet, Telsia stopped to listen to what Josh said. She was just so unsure of things right now and everything was moving very fast, that she could agree with and she knew she was jumping the gun, talking about marriage. It was just that she didn't know what else to do; she wanted to stay with Josh and there was no way she could live without him again, not after remembering and rediscovering the love they had for each other. She sat down softly on the bed, trying to think and to figure this mess out. Realizing that she had no answers, Telsia flopped back onto the bed and just lay there, trying to clear her mind.

"Telsia." Josh walked to the doorway and leaned in the doorjamb. "I don't know what to say to you. What do you want from me? I love you - I tell you that on a regular basis and I'm ecstatic that I can be apart of Cameron's life. I just don't want to make a decision that may not be for the best in the long run." He was standing on a precipice with nothing but a void of uncertainty looming before him. Josh didn't know what to do and baby steps were the way to go - marriage wasn't a baby step.

She sat up and looked at him, "I'm sorry, I shouldn?t have never made that comment, I was just thinking out loud of a way for us to stay together. I know you love me and I know how happy you are to be a part of Cameron's life; I just don't want to lose you but I still shouldn't have spoken out loud. It really is too soon to get married and I'm not even sure I'm ready for it again."

Standing, she moved close to Josh without touching him, she wasn't sure if he would want to be touched right now or not. She stood there looking up at him. "As for what I want from you, I have all I want, I have you and your love and the product of our love, I don't believe there is anything more a woman could want from a man. I'm just happy to be here right now with you."

He ran a hand down her soft cheek. "You're so beautiful. I'll fight to keep us together by any means necessary. I'll go talk to Commander Andros right now." He turned on his heel and took a few steps, stopped, and turned around. Josh smiled as he stepped forward and pushed his lips against hers one more time. "We'll be together, I promise." With that, Josh rotated again and walked out into the corridor.

Telsia's lips tingled from where Josh had last kissed her. A smile slowly start to appear on her face as the words he had said registered in her brain, he was going to go talk to the Commander now. Crossing her fingers and praying to whatever god would answer her, she walked into the living room and scooped her son up in her arms and spun around with him. His childish laugher only helped to further Telsia's smile, she hoped to goodness that the Commander would let them stay. With these thoughts in her mind, she placed her son carefully back on the floor and went about cleaning up the quarters and putting toys away.