<USS Banshee> "Temper? What Temper?"

  • From: EnsnSaraCrusher@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:19:10 EST

"Temper? What Temper?"
By: Lt. Sara "Yes I am a Redhead in a bad mood so step off" Crusher

The room was to quiet and to empty. Even with the cat on the foot of the bed
purring, and the dog in the corner of the room in his basket growling in his
sleep, and the old fashion wind up belled alarm clock on the bed side table
ticking away the late night minutes, the room was to quite and to empty. There
was no soft rhythmic breathing coming from the other side of the bed. There was
no safe, strong arm wrapped around her waist as she laid on her stomach
looking at the wall. No warm soft skin pressed against her own. No leg draped
over
the back of blanket clad thigh. No warm breath on the back of her neck.

Sara took a deep breath and her whole body shook with the tired waves of
someone who’d spent hours sobbing. The fight she’d had with Cyanah still
replayed
in her mind, and her emotions were still very raw, but she wasn’t physically
able to cry any more. She wasn’t able to sleep either. She just felt so
alone.
Cyanah was still blocking her out, sure she could still feel a whisper of her
lover’s presence, but her thoughts, her emotions, her dreams (if she were
asleep, Sara couldn‘t even tell if she was sleeping) where untouchable to
Sara.

In one swift movement Sara cast the blankets that were lazily draped over her
to the other side of the bed, and rolled off her stomach, onto her side and
then out of the bed. Her mind and body had been numb when she had decided to
finally go to bed, and she hadn’t even bothered to change into one of the
silk
tank top and short sets that she normally wore to sleep in. Instead, she had
just slipped off her jeans and sweater and then she collapsed, sobbing, onto
the
bed. Sara shivered a bit from the cold air that rushed past her goose-pimping
skin as she padded barefoot into the living room.

She padded over to the replicator and stood there for a moment trying to make
up her mind as to what she wanted. "Warm milk, chamomile tea, or I do have a
bottle of  Connamarra whiskey that Nana Kathryn gave me, and a bottle of
Russian bilberry vodka in the trunk under my bed." Sara gave her choices
another
once over in her mind and then walked her mug of warm milk (with a splash of
Bailey's Cream added for.. taste.. ) over to the couch. She took a long sip
from
her mug before exchanging it for a padd that was sitting on the coffee table.
It was the digital portfolio of a young lieutenant in Science who took amazing
black and white photographs. Cyanah had stumbled across the young woman’s
photography and had brought Sara the portfolio to look at so they could talk
about asking the young woman to take the wedding photos. They never got around
looking at the padd.

They hadn’t gotten around to doing a lot of things that they had wanted to do
because every time they’d make a plan, Sorcha would break it. Sara felt that
all to familiar bubble in her chest as she thought about everything that had
lead up to her fight with Cyanah.

"She just doesn‘t get it." Sara told Gypsy as she moved the bailey’s spiked
milk away from the little black cat. "Cy doesn’t know Grandmother very well
yet. She doesn’t know that she’s the type of woman that causes planetary
governments to bend to her will. I mean if this woman can get the head of the
Betazoid government to cave on his own political platform, then what chance do
have in getting her to agree to allowing us to plan our wedding!"

Sara blinked as she listened to herself. She hadn’t realized just how much she
’d let her grandmother walk over them until she put herself in the place of
an outsider. She wasn’t a political foe to be worked over, she was the
woman’s
granddaughter for pete‘s sake. Sara downed the last of her milk and then
stood and walked towards her bedroom. She shivered again as the cold air in her
quarters washed over her bare skin.

"Computer," Sara bellowed as she stomped into her bedroom. "open a channel to
Betazed." She called out as she pulled one of her old academy sweat shirts
over her head to cover her relative nakedness.

Sara sat down at her desk and put in the information needed to reach her
grandmother’s villa and then waited. She kept telling herself that she was
going
to prove to Cyanah that she could stand up to her grandmother, and prove to her
grandmother she couldn’t run her life, and prove to herself that she wasn’t
the same child she use to be. Her breath caught in the back of her throat as
the black screen went from the Banshee’s symbol to the Betazoid governmental
seal, to an image of a half darkened bedroom.  Sara’s hear sank a little when
it
wasn’t her grandmother who answered her call.

"Sara?" Her mother’s sleepy voice asked as the elder woman blinked into the
screen.

Damn there went the ‘start talking as soon as you see her face and don’t
stop till she gets the point’ approach. "I need to speak with grandmother."
Sara
said shortly.

"Sara dear," Stephanie said with a bit of annoyance in her voice. "do you
have any idea what time it is here?"

It was nearing three in the morning ship time so it must have been close to
dawn on Betazed. "Yes, but I don’t really care at the moment. Please wake
grandmother up, I want to speak with her right now."

Stephanie raised a delicate blond eye brow at her daughter.  "Would you care
to watch your tone of voice with me Sara dear.. Now tell me what’s the
matter."

Sara huffed. "Nothing, I just need to talk to her. It’s important." Sara’s
already raw nerves were becoming for more frazzled. She’d built her nerve up
and she was afraid now that if she didn’t do what she’d called to do
she’s
never get the nerve up to try again.

"Well I’m sorry, dear, you can’t speak with her right now."

"I have too!" Sara shouted before her mother could finish. "I have to stand
up to her and make her see we’re not doing things her way before she
completely
screws up the rest of my goddamned life!"

If Stephanie was surprised at her daughter’s out burst she didn’t show it.
"Well little miss, I’m very sorry, but you can not talk to your grandmother
because she’s not here."

"Where is she?" Sara snapped.

Again the elder Crusher woman showed no sign that her daughter’s behavior was
surprising her. "She was called to the capital city for a meeting of the
heads of the noble houses."

There was a defeated and disappointed look on Sara’s face as she drew her
legs up onto the chair with her. She pulled the sweat shirt she had on over her
knees and then reached out to hug them with a sigh. "Dammit all to hell." She
muttered.

"Care to fill me in now on this most unpleasant mood of yours, Sara?" She
heard her mother ask.

"No." Sara roughly.

There was a moment of silence between them while Sara sat and picked the
fuzzes off her sweat shirt and Stephanie pushed lose strands of long blond hair
out of her face. Finally she looked at her daughter’s pouting face and asked.
"Where is Cyanah?" Sara didn’t reply and Stephanie nodded. "Ahh I understand
now. You’ve had it out over the wedding."

Sara looked up at her mother and blinked. How did she know that?

"It was bound to happen,  dear heart. Getting married is a very stressful
thing and yes your grandmother isn’t helping. You really do need to stand up
her dear."

Sara just blinked for a moment. "Why the hell does everyone keep saying
that!"

Stephanie tried hard not to laugh. "Because it’s true."

"Ok fine! If you all think I need to stand up to her so badly then tell her..
tell her.." Sara sat up and puffed out her chest. "Tell her that we’re doing
this our way like it or not! And if she doesn’t like it then she‘s not
welcome at my wedding!"

"You don’t mean that, Sara."

Sara huffed and crossed her arms across her chest. "The bloody hell I don’t!
This is my goddamn life and if anyone disagrees with how I live it then fuck
them all!"

"Sara Anastasia Crusher!"

There was another long moment of silence. Both women thinking about what to
say next and neither wanting to go first. Finally Sara sighed and uncrossed her
arms so she could hug her knees again. She softened her tone of voice but
there was still a clear edge to it.
"How did you mange to get married with out her mucking it all up?" Sara asked
as she watched a smile dance across her mother’s face.

Her mother laughed. "Quite simply.. Your father and I didn’t tell her we were
getting married until we set her the shuttle ticket to come to Earth."

Sara huffed again. "Now you tell me." She said bitterly.

Suddenly Stephanie's voice took on a more soothing yet firm tone as she
leaned into the screen. "Look dear heart. Just stand up to your grandmother,
and don
’t do it in such a foul mood. Be firm and confident and tell her how it is..
End of story.  And as far as what your feeling right now.. It’ll pass.. The
two of you will make up in due time and all will be well." Stephanie almost
laughed out loud at the hurt, angry, doubtful look on her daughter’s face.

"Sara.. You might as well face the fact that all married couples fight. Your
planning on spending the rest of your life with this woman.. You can not
honestly think that you’ll never fight like you must have this time.. You
will..
Many many times. But in the end when you’ve both calmed down you’ll work it
out." Stephanie did laugh out loud at her next thought. "Oh dear lord.. Two
redheaded women in one marriage.. Oh my dear child you can bet you’ll go
though
some whoppers.. I do hope your lady love knows how to duck."

"Mother!"

"Well you do have a tendency to throw things, dear. How many times had you
aimed for Rhiannon’s head?"

Sara sat in her chair and quietly fumed.

"Alright. Alright.. I’ll let you be to brood little one. Your grandmother
will be back in a couple of days.. I’d advise you to call her then.. Be well,
dear heart, I love you." And with that the screen flicked back to black

Sara continued to sit in her chair fuming. "I do not brood." She hissed to
the blank screen. "And I don’t throw things either!" She added as she swept a
pile of padds off her desk. Sara blinked as she looked at them and then shook
her head as she picked them up. When she looked up Gypsy was giving her an odd
look.

"Oh what the hell do you know." Sara hissed as she stormed back to bed.