<USS Banshee> Rumours

  • From: EnsnSaraCrusher@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:10:04 EDT

"Rumours"
By Ensign Sara Crusher and Ensign Anthony D'Vorak

Sara sat in three forward alone, her knees drawled up close to her chest and
her hands wrapped around a mug of something warm. She stared out the windows,
watching as the stars zipped pass, each streak of light bringing them closer
to DS9. Sick bay had been short staffed and busy the last day or so and she
was simply glad to find a moment to be alone with her thoughts. And only her
thoughts, she had managed to get her mental shields strong enough to block
out the others. A task that was proving very tiresome for her. She sipped at
the warm contents of the mug as a thin line of a grin appeared on her face.

Anthony walked into three forward with his usual confident look.  He stroked
his chin as he walked over to the bar, all the while pondering what he was
going to order.  "I'll have a glass of Altair Water, please, Kevin"  He
tapped his finger on the bar and awaited his beverage.  He had just gotten a
chance to take a break from everything.  Anthony grasped his drink firmly, he
spun around slowly and raised his glass up to his mouth.  The water splashed
coolly on the back of his throat.  It was refreshing after the long, tense
morning.  As the water drained from the glass Anthony could make out a
familiar figure.  It was Sara.  He could feel her smile from all the way
across the room.  At a casual pace he made his way over to the table.  "May I
sit down?"  He motioned towards the chair and grinned at Sara awaiting her
answer.

Sara didn't have to turn around to know who was talking to her. "Sure Scoob."
She answered. She did however need to turn away from the window if she were
going to talk to him face to face. She stood and turned her chair back
towards the table and then sat back down in the same position she had been
in. She took another sip from her mug and then smiled. "How'd you escape?"
She asked as Anthony took the seat across from her.

"We got our numbers to a manageable level... we worked pretty hard the past
couple of hours."  He exhaled deeply and smiled.  "Its good to be out of
there."  Anthony noticed the pale color of Sara's coffee... then realized
that it wasn't coffee at all.  "Where's your coffee... replicaters not
working?"  He laughed as he sipped at his water.  He set his water down and
stretched his arms up.

Sara laughed as she looked down into her mug of warm milk. "I'm trying to cut
down. I've been way to jumpy lately." She explained. Sara sat the mug on the
table and then unfolded her legs.  "Oh man do my feet hurt.. Terje picked a
hell of a time to go on vacation. First the virus from the caravan, then the
after affects from the party the other night, and now a Aldoran flu
outbreak."

Anthony looked at Sara contemplating whether to share his "unconfirmed"
knowledge with her.  He took a sip of his water before going ahead.  "I had
heard from an unconfirmed source... that he wasn't coming back"  Anthony
chugged down the rest of his water nervously.  "There are rumors all over the
ship that he's on a permanent vacation...  I don't know what to believe."  He
looked at Sara.  "I'm surprised you haven't heard anything."

"I'm always the last to knew around here." She said with a bit of surprise in
her voice. She had thought it funny when Terje left with out warning but she
never thought any more about the reasons way. But then again she has had much
on her mind. "Who told you he wasn't coming back?" She asked as she waved
Kevin down for another drink.

He knew he could trust her so he just openly told her. "Well... this is
second hand information.... The Captain's yeoman was in sick bay with Aldoran
Flu.  He was on the bridge and he told me that he overheard the Captain
talking to someone from Starfleet about a replacement.  He deduced that she
was talking about the CMO."  When Kevin came by to give Sara another drink,
Anthony ordered another water and went back to his explanation.  "He was
telling me how there was a lot of Starfleet medical paperwork coming
through."  Kevin placed his water down and he turned his head and thanked
him.  He turned back to Sara.  "Its unconfirmed right now... but it looks
like something is up with our CMO."

Sara's face went from surprise to concern. "I hope everything is ok." She
said as she sipped at her milk. Once again her mind began to race with
questions, but this time they weren't about personal things. "I wonder who
the new CMO will be?" She asked out loud. "I hope it's not some old fuddy
duddy." She teased.

He laughed at her use of "fuddy duddy", "Maybe they'll ask your aunt Bev" he
said jokingly.  "I'm sure whoever he or she is... they'll be... professional,
to say the least."  He took another sip of his water and looked up and smiled
at her.  "If its not somebody new, I would give you a good recommendation."
He tapped on the table.  "Everyone seems to like you... and you know your
stuff."  Anthony meant sincerely what he said.  Sara was an
excellent doctor and would make a more than adequate CMO.

Surprise, concern, now terror, Sara's face always betrayed her emotions. But
what was more terrifying, the idea of her Aunt coming on board or the
slimmest chance of her being promoted. "First off." She laughed as she
thought about her first choice. "There's no chance of my Aunt leaving her
ship. She likes bald captains and the last time I looked Morrigan's hair was
longer then mine." She smiled as Anthony laughed. She sipped at her drink
again as she thought about the second choice. "And as for me getting it. Yeah
right. The CMO has to work closely with the Captain. She likes you. I bet if
it's given to some already here it would be you."

Anthony smiled that Sara thought the Captain even remotely liked him that
much.  "It would be a great challenge I'm sure...  I'd definitely love to
try... if the opportunity should arise.  It would be great if we could both
do it." He laughed as he thought, then spoke, "I'd work with the Captain,
both of us together would be a medical force to be reckoned with." He smiled
as he sipped again.  "I doubt that would ever happen."  He looked at her
again. "I don't think the captain hates you.  Just because she dishes out the
discipline doesn't mean she hates you.  She's just doing her job."  He put
his glass down and pointed at her. "Do you think if she hated you she would
have chanted your name at karaoke?  You're a competent doctor.  The Captain
is good at what she does.  I'm sure she'll weigh all the possibilities before
making her decision."  He put his hand on her’s and gave her a comforting
look.  "I'm sure her personal feelings will play a little part in her
choosing the new CMO."

"I never said she hated me." Sara replied as she smiled at Anthony. "Don't
get me wrong Scoob. I would love the chance and the challenge of it. But
we're both so young and barely a year out of our internships."  Sara sat
quietly for a while thinking about everything. "Well I guess we'll find out
sooner or later." She said as she stood up. "We'd better get back. Care to
walk with me?"

He stood up and smiled.  "Of course!"  As they walked away from the table he
thought he'd ask her something.  "When we get to DS9, would you like to check
out the Holosuites at Quark's?  I hear they have some interesting programs"
He wasn't sure what she would say.  Hopefully yes.  The conversation he had
with Josh the other night was echoing in the back of his mind.  He needed
some time to talk with her.  Just some Scoob and Tribbs time.

"Sure Scooby. I promised we'd spend more time together." She said as they
entered the turbo lift. "I hear they have a great mid evil program." She teas
ed as the doors closed. "Sickbay." She called out as Anthony rolled his eyes.

He sighed and smiled.  "I'll tell you what.  We'll have a drink or two and
look through the list of programs.  I'm sure we can find something."  He
laughed as the turbolift whizzed through the ship.  The doors hissed open and
Anthony held his hand against the door and motioned Sara through first.
"After you"

The two walked down the hall and into sick bay as they joked about  program
types. They had a few days to decide but until then Sara had time work on
him. She'd end up getting her way and Anthony would be in a kilt playing out
the  ancient Irish-Viking Battle of Clontarf. She laughed out loud as she
reached for her lab coat. "What's so funny?" Anthony asked. "Nothing." She
replied. Anthony just shook his head. He knew he was in trouble.