<USS Banshee> Morrigan's Inferno (Part One)

  • From: CptMorrigan@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:25:47 EST

"Where are they?!"  Morrigan looked into the genetically engineered, crystal
blue eyes of the Vorta as he stood before her with his cloned perfection for
a smile. Had Lieutenant Crusher been in the vicinity, her knees would have
turned to Jell-O because she was using *that* voice.  It was her voice that
announced that the fires had been lit and a barbecue was about to begin.
Except this time, the tone rang false.  She was not the one wearing the
chef's hat and apron.  She was the one on the spit getting ready to burn.
"Where ARE they?"

The Vorta looked at her in amusement.  "By *they* I assume you mean your
fellow away team members or perhaps... your crew.  Rest assured, Rhiannon
Morrigan.  You were the only one we needed.  I won't bore you with the facts
about how we managed to pluck you mid-transport.  I won't bother you with
details of how we managed to scan the Banshee's computer banks to get all the
pertinent information that we needed about you and your away team.  I
certainly wouldn't dream of offending your sensibilities with the information
that someone from your own crew has been helping us every step of the way."
A smug smile tugged at his mouth and he practically clapped his hands in glee
with the effect that he knew his words were having on her.  She didn't show
it.... but he knew it just the same.

"I don't believe you," she stated simply.  "I'm not important enough to need
for anything.  I'm just a Starfleet Captain.  My executive officer is more
than capable of handling things on the ship, so don't think that by taking me
out of the picture that you'll be getting the Banshee!"  Her mind was making
wild leaps of logic in an effort to determine why she was standing on some
strange ship with all these..... well, people she would rather not be with.

"No, no, my child," he lectured patiently.  "It is not your ship we want, or
your crew, we just wanted... you."  He placed his hands on her shoulders and
turned her to face the wall.  "We needed you and your heritage and your fire.
 We needed a Captain who was well trusted in Starfleet..."  He patted her
shoulder.  "Your number came up Rhiannon.  Now watch, and be amazed."

She turned her head to look once more at the Ferengi and the Cardassians.
Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the Jem Hadar standing silently
against the wall.  The Cardassian that stood nearby looked strangely familiar
to her, and there was something in his yellow eyes that made her want to
shiver.  Finally, she looked back to the wall.  It had transformed to a
screen and on that screen was the proceedings that were happening on
Cardassia. A great hall with banners and flags, Cardassians standing regally,
the Legate waiting on the dais with his other advisors and council members,
there was nothing to indicate that anything was wrong or amiss.  Surely they
know by now that I'm missing.

The rest would be forever horribly imprinted into her memory like a searing
brand into naked flesh.  The sight of herself walking into the hall with her
away team at her side made her gasp aloud.  The Vorta smiled to himself as he
watched her.  "The best is yet to come," he whispered near her ear.

She watched as others all over the system watched.  In horror and disbelief,
she watched herself grab the weapon and fire. She watched as the Legate
crumpled to the floor, as the Cardassian Guard turned to fire and was gunned
down, as D'Nalls did what he could, and as Kaelyre suffered a wound to the
arm.  A knot twisted painfully in her stomach as she saw Davies slump
lifelessly to the floor.  She stared at the horror of what had happened even
while the words that she did not utter yet they fell from her lips in the
footage still rang in her ears.  Then the footage was ended.  The government
had done what it felt was right and shut down the video feed ... but not
before she heard the word *traitor* be coupled with her name and certainly
not before she watched members of her crew be taken roughly into custody....
and not before she had seen the hint of betrayal in the eyes of the one who
called her Imzadi.

One of the Ferengi stepped forward and whispered urgently to the Vorta.  "We
should leave soon. The Orions won't wait."  He grumbled and mumbled to
himself about latinum and slaves and mistreatment and Bartok.

Bartok.  No wonder his face looked familiar.  Rhiannon let her gaze slide
casually around the room before glancing at the tall Cardassian again. It was
him.  The Bajoran people usually said his name with a a mixture of fear and
hatred.  He was the kind of thing that parents threatened their children with
when they misbehaved.  Bartok the Butcher.  His inhumane treatment in the
Bajoran labor and detention camps was legendary.  His name was up with the
ten most wanted... dead or alive depending on whose list you were looking at.
 Raised voices caught her attention again and she turned to where the Vorta
and the Ferengi were having a discussion of some sort.

"The agreement is that we get any and all captives as payment for our
services.  He has already killed more than a few and maimed or disfigured
many others.  We are losing profit on this!"  Both Ferengi looked at her with
their squinty, ratlike stares.  "If we could have HER, let us keep her with
us.  She'll learn to appreciate the power of a taser whip soon enough.  We'll
have her under control and gentle as a kitten in no time."

Morrigan arched a brow in the Ferengi's direction.  A Ferengi sex slave or
Bartok's next science experiment?  What a choice.  She appeared to look
disinterested as she considered her options.  She couldn't go back to
Cardassia, not without being skinned alive.  The Banshee should either have
left the area or was now occupied with Cardassian military or.... they were
dead.  Okay, let's think positive here.  You're alive.  On a ship filled with
Cardassians, Ferengi, Jem Hadar, Vorta, and most probably Founders.  Okay, so
you're alive.

"No.  Absolutely not.  She is the type that would pretend to comply with you
and then escape the first chance she gets.  The Founders have deemed her an
unacceptable risk and she is being given to Bartok to dispose of in whatever
way he sees fit."  The Vorta looked at both of the Ferengi.  "This
conversation is at an end."  He gestured to the Cardassian guards.  "Take her
to her new home.  I'm sure the Captain would like to settle in."

She stood quietly as the guards grabbed her upper arms and roughly propelled
her across the room.  As the doors hissed open, she glanced upwards to see
something written in many languages.

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.