<USS Banshee> Looking for Answers

  • From: EnsnSaraCrusher@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 01:08:33 EST

"Looking for Answers"
By Lt. Sara Crusher..

Sara walked quietly into the bedroom leaving Cyanah and Ms. Morrigan sitting
on the couch talking. Her mind was a haze of images and thoughts. The strange
conversation with the kind old Irish woman danced amount the images she couldn
’t place, which only made things more confusing. How did Ms. Morrigan know
her? Why had she called her Nana? How’d she know her full name? And why had
she told her that she hadn’t been to Ireland since she was young? She’s
never been to Ireland.. Had she?

Moving though the room towards the closet Sara couldn’t keep her mind on
anything else. It was becoming clear to her that for some unexplained reason
she had forgotten an entire part of her life. But why? She shook off the
"lost in a fog" feeling and pulled a long brown suede skirt, a white lace
button up blouse, and her favorite pair of knee high boots from the closet.
She lied them on the bed and then disappeared into the bathroom.

Not even a hot shower was able to clear her mind. As she got dressed for her
evening out with Cyanah she tried to clear her mind hoping that either the
answers she was lookin for would come to her or that she’d be able to push
the last hour, the few weeks, to the back of her mind so she could enjoy her
time with Cyanah. Sara sat at the vanity and sighed.  She couldn’t help but
wonder what it was she was blocking out and why she was blocking it. She
shook her head and for a split moment thought to herself "Because it hurts to
remember."

Sara looked up and stared at her reflection. What hurts to remember? She
shook her head again and then pinched the bridge of her nose hoping to
relieve the headache she was getting. Picking the hair brush up from the
table Sara started to brush out her mid-length red hair and as she did so,
with out realizing she was doing it, Sara started to hum softly. The song was
one she had always carried around in her memory but could never place. Her
mother wasn’t very musical. In fact, Stephanie Crusher couldn’t carry a
tone
in a bucket, so where did this song come from?. Sara closed her eyes as she
began to braid her hair, she focused on the humming and in a blink of an eye
another memory sufficed.

She sat on a small wooden stool in front of an old stone fireplace. She was
small, probably eight or nine. There was a small figure and other trinkets on
the mantel of the fire place. Cast iron pokers, a black kettle and a bronze
tea pot sat on it’s hearth. And above it was a beautiful panting of the sea,
a stone wall, and a dark haired woman. Sara stared up at that painting until
she felt a cool breeze brush against her bare legs. She turned her head to
the side and there though an open window she saw the stone wall and beyond
that the sea. Then a pair of soft hands turned her head back so she was
facing forward again. That’s when she noticed someone was behind her. A woman
from the sound of the soft humming. She was brushing and braiding Sara’s
hair.

An intense feeling of security, happiness, and well being washed over Sara as
she allowed the memory to fade away. She blinked several times before
allowing herself to believe that it was real and not something she had seen
in a Maureen O’Hara movie. She stood and walked over to the set of double
doors that lead out into the sitting room. She reached for the door knob with
ever intension of storming in there and demanding that Ms. Kathryn Ann
Morrigan explain how she knew such things about her. But as her hand came
into contact with the cool brass she stopped, instead of storming in she
stood there. She moved the lace curtain that covered the glass panels that
made up most of the door and watched the two red headed women who sat on the
couch. Ms. Morrigan was right, she needed to give what ever it was she was
blocking time to come back on it’s own.

Sara sighed deeply as she took the extra pillow and blanket from the chest at
the end of the bed. She clutched them both tight and once again headed for
the door. Once again she stopped. She turned slowly and looked at the chest
she had just gotten the items she was taken to Ms. Morrigan so she could nap
on the couch. Then it hit her like a ton of brinks falling from the sky. She
knew where to look for some answers. After placing the pillow and blanket on
the bed, Sara walked over to the rooms vid-screen. She accessed an out side
line and with in minutes was looking at a familiar face.

At least I remember her! Sara thought to herself as she smiled at the image
of an old family friend. "Rosa! It’s wonderful to see you!"

The old Hispanic woman smiled back. "Your looking well, Sara."

"Rosa.. I need to ask you a favor." Rosa had been friends with her mother for
nearly thirty years. She had started as the house keeper but soon became part
of the family. Even after she and her husband opened the cantina, Rosa
remained with her mother.

"Anything, Sara.. What do you need?"

Sara smiled. "Do you know if my mom kept my old seder truck?"

Rosa laughed. It was a hearty laugh that could come only from a woman of many
well rounded years. "Of course she keep it. You mother keeps everything!"

"Wonderful!" Sara chirped. "Can you have it sent to my ship. We’re in orbit
over Earth and all you have to do is make arrangements with.." Sara paused to
think about who on the ship would be responsible for that.. "Lt. Macalister. I
’ll send word to expect it."

"It’ll be there." Rosa then paused and Sara could tell she had put her hands
on her hips. "Your here and didn’t come home?"

Sara’s face turned a bright red. "Next time I promise. I‘m dieing for
everyone to meet someone." She smiled warmly when Rosa nodded.

After saying their goodbyes and Sara promising once again to come home the
next time she was on Earth the call was ended. Sara remained seated on the
edge of the bed with a sense of anticipation, excitement and even a little
fear as she thought about what she might find in the chest in which she kept
mementoes of her life.

Sara didn’t notice movement on the bed behind her until a pair of arms
wrapped themselves around her. Sara smiled and rested her head against Cyanah’
s chest. She could sense the concern Cyanah had for her and as she reached up
to place her hand on Cyanah’s she closed her eyes and relaxed. She allowed
Cyanah to feel what she was feeling. "I’m a little dazed and very confused,
but I’ll be ok." She told her. Cyanah hugged her tightly. "Now it’s you
turn
to get dressed. I’m going to take these things out to Ms. Morrigan and tell
her more about the Captain." Cyanah released Sara and Sara in turn kissed her
before going back out into the sitting room.