<USS Banshee> Idea for quote/motto

  • From: ElRiovtrIdrys@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 02:57:58 EST

    Just a little while ago a few of us Banshee-ites were lamenting the fact
that our ship doesn't have a motto so we were tossing some stuff around. I did
a search for some poetry and I remembered a very impressive one by Gerard
Manley Hopkins, whose writings often make references to celestial objects.

    The link here is to the entire sonnet ---> 8. The Starlight Night.
Hopkins, Gerard Manley. 1918. Poems <--- but I would like to point out the
first
three lines:

    "Look at the stars! look, look up at the skies!
        "O look at all the fire-folk sitting in the air!
            "The bright boroughs, the circle-citadels there!"

    We are AMONG the stars in our ship and we see their fires often enough.
Hopkins could only lift his eyes upwards, stranded as he was on this planet;
our characters go where he only imagined.

    Eric