<USS Banshee> "Gambling with Emotions" Pt. 3

  • From: "Brad Ruder" <GroundZero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:51:43 -0700

"Gambling with Emotions"
by Lieutenant Joshua Asper
Lieutenant Sara Crusher
& Lieutenant JG Joe Castillo

PART THREE - FINALE

?Well, that would be a tie then.? He was a bit upset, but luck would have it that his cards matched perfectly with hers, but a different suit. It was a match made in heaven at least, the odds were impeccable.

Joe leaned back, his eyes locked on the cards. ?Wow! I?ve never seen a tie before.?

?I don't believe it.? Lark added.

?So do they split the pot or what??

?Split the pot, Crusher?? Josh was hoping for the mass of replicator rations, but half would do.

?What fun is that?? Sara smiled an evil and sly grin. ?High card wins.?

?Ooh, let me deal.? Joe snatched the cards and shuffled them.

?For 510 total replicator rations? I don't think so. Split them at 255 apiece.?

?Chicken.? A barrage of laughter followed, ?Fine, fine.?

Josh?s eyes widened. ?Chicken?? He turned with a sharp jerk to Joe, ?Deal the cards.?

Clucking like a chicken, Joe handed a solitary card to both Sara and Josh.

?How about winner gets three-fourths, so the loser still ends up with something?? Josh said keeping the face of his card to the table.

The dealer let out another cluck.

?I wouldn't want you to go away empty handed.?

?No worries, Josh. I haven't used a ration since leaving the academy.?

?How do you people eat without rations?? Joe and Josh asked at the same time.

?I think the Medical department has some scam I should look into.?

?Agreed.? Lark said looking suspiciously at Sara and her single card.

?Let?s just say it pays to have family in high places.?

?I see, i thought maybe it had something to do with plenty of fish and sausage.?

Josh muttered something about family, ?What you got, Crush??

Ten of hearts, her card flopped silently to the tabletop.

?So, one-fourth to the loser?? He said looking at his card.

?Sure.?

His nine of clubs dropped silently into place next to the ten of hearts. A grin followed it up on part by Sara.

?That's OK, one hundred and twenty-seven replicator rations will go pretty far.?

?Yeah, but what will you do with the half a credit??

After assembling the cards and handing them to Sara, ?She can keep them.?

?Well, now I have enough to replicate a whole new wardrobe.? Sara grinned.

?Hey, I never thought of that.?

?Next week, Crusher.?

?These things make more than just food??

He was met with a blank stare from Tom, ?Are you kidding? Where do you live - a cave??

?These things should come with instructions. The security office. I'm never here; that?s why it?s so clean.? Joe looked at Tom with a look of disdain.

?You can also use your allotment in the fabrication shops as well.? Sara added after receiving the cards.

?You learn something new every day.?

Tom stood, stretched and yawned. ?I'm beat and got to get up early tomorrow.? He turned to Jenny, ?Can I have the honor of walking you home, beautiful?? His inquiry was followed up with a perking of the eyebrows and a gesturing to the door.

Joe protested the departure, ?But we only played one game.?

?Oh, yeah, now that you mention it. I do got to get up pretty early for my morning jog.?

Jenny smiled at Tom, ?Well, I do have an extra early shift since someone is coming in late.?

?Shall we?? Tom asked, motioning to the door.

?If you got to wake up to what I get to wake up to, you'd stay in bed all day too.? Sara said with a grin on her face.

Josh just rolled his eyes.

?You know, I still haven?t met Lieutenant Calorie.?

?It was a blast as always,? Jenny said standing, ?I?ll see you all next week.? She took Lark?s outstretched and offered arm. They walked out and into the corridor; the soft hissing of the door shutting accompanied the pattern of sound that was made by their tromping shoes.

?Why do people always say that wrong?? Sara asked, obviously flustered. ?It?s Kaelyre.?

?I was just saying it to mess with you, I heard Samantha call her that and thought it was funny.? Joe snickered as he poured himself yet another shot and downed it in one completely gulp.

Josh smiled and nodded, ?I say it wrong on purpose because I know it annoys the hell out of you.? He followed it up with a nice wink.

?Speaking of which, anyone see her lately??

?Ooh, how grown up Assfur.?

?Children, behave.? Joe scolded.

?I know you meant it to be funny and it was kind of cute ? the first time.?

?God, have a sense of humor, Sara.? Josh shook his head.

Joe looked to Sara with an array of confusion, ?I said it before? Guess I've had too many shots on an empty stomach.? He was eager to change the subject from his drinking habits, ?So josh are you going to the ball?? That didn?t stop him from munching on some chips and downing his fourth shot.

?No, Joe, I won't be attending. I'm leading up the Shoguns that are doing the firework spectacular for the ball's attendees.? He grinned, ?I'll be flying.?

?And hopefully nothing else,? Sara added quickly.

?Show off, I?ll be out there with you pretty soon.?

?I'd hate to be called out of the ball to ID bodies.?

?You won't have to. We're set in the simulators and I have the utmost confidence in my pilots. ? Things will go just fine and everyone will be impressed ? it's the way it normally works.? He said it arrogantly, but he was arrogantly positive that his team would succeed.

Joe leaned forward, ?You going to deal again??

?Maybe not everyone. Though if you pull this off I'm sure you'll earn brownie points with Captain Morrigan.? Sara caught herself.

?What?s a ra-captain?? Joe asked seeming a bit intoxicated.

?Pull this off? You make it sound like I don't know what I'm doing.? Josh said defensively, completely ignoring Joe?s question.

?Hey, Sara, you going to join me in another shot??

?It's a hard stunt even for the best of pilots Josh. I just don't wanna see you or any of your crew hurt, OK?? Concern dripped from her voice. She turned and smiled at Joe, ?Sure.?

?Well, actually D'nalls discussed it with the Captain.?

?If my team of pilots cannot do this maneuver, then no one can. We're the best pilots out there. We train constantly and know what we're up against.? Josh was getting agitated no matter how hard he fought it.

Sara laughed, despite trying hard not to.

?Crew safety is our ball game, hun, and if the captain and D'nalls didn't think it was perfectly safe she wouldn't let him do it.? Joe added to Josh?s argument.

?I know that. I've already talked to her. It's that ?we're the best? mind set that if anything will be the catalyst for something going wrong. The first thing I was taught was to keep my attitude in check.? Sara shook her head.

?No, it's the doubting the people flying the craft that is the catalyst. It's called encouragement and self-confidence. I don't know who taught you to fly, but apparently they had their head up the ass.? Josh fought the increasing need to glare.

?I don't doubt you or your team, Josh. Forget it. You don't get it.? Her eyes went wide at the end of Josh?s statement and she bolted up right. ?How dare you!?

The Shogun Pilot looked on, unaffected by her anger. ?No, you don't get it. You think just because you use to fly that you know what's best. Try being out there in those crafts every day. You learn what you can and can't do and what attitude is appropriate for flying. There's a difference between flying and knowing what the quirks are, then sitting back and having not flown for however long and speculating on what is the right thing.?

?I got a lovely bunch of coconuts de de de de, there they are a standing in a row boom boom boom.? Joe sang, obviously noting that he wasn?t being paid attention to.

?You leave the combat and exhibition flying to me and I'll leave curing colds and upset tummies to you in Sickbay.? He dismissed her and downed his shot.

?I don't think I know best cause I use to fly. I am only worried about your safety. Lord knows why, but I am. I've seen to many people hurt. I don't want to see it again.?

Joe continued singing, ?Big ones small ones some as big as your head.?

Sara shook her head again; ?I could out fly you in my sleep...?

?I'm sure.? Josh added with the most sarcasm he could muster.

?Fine. You don't believe me. I'll prove it.?

?Always got to be better than everyone, right Sara??

?If it's what it takes for people to take me seriously.? Sara agreed.

?Sara, flying is my life. I've devoted more time to it than a good majority of people. I'm not a slouch pilot.? His hand gestures proved futile to his point, but he liked to talk with his hands.

Joe was still singing, ?I know that your powers of retention, are as thick as warthog's backside. But thick as you are, pay attention, my words are a matter of pride.?

Josh leveled a gaze at Joe, who stopped singing, ?Thanks for having me over, Joe. I'll see you tomorrow in the holodeck early for our run??

Sara's voice became very soft and could barely be heard. ?I had every intention of becoming a pilot before the accident. I would have been everything she'd thought I'd be." Then her voice rose as she looked up at Josh. ?So don't you dare tell me to keep my ass in sickbay.? Sara was on the brink of tears.

?No prob, Josh, maybe it'll help if we talk tomorrow instead of just running, huh?? He turned to Sara, ?Hey, you OK??

?I'm fine.?

?She's worried someone is finally better than her.? Josh shrugged and stalked out of the corridor into the hallway.

?Oh! What a pompous jackass!?

?You sounded like you were about to cry and you were talking about some sort of accident.? Joe was genuinely concerned for her well-being.

?He doesn't get it. He never will.? She turned to Joe, ?I am sorry tonight turned out this way.?

Joe shook his head, ?I'm not trying to defend him, but he has a lot on his mind, hun. He doesn't talk about it much, but I think he's still bothered by his mom dying.?

Sara nodded in concession.

?When stuff like that happens you don't ever get over it unless you talk bout it, and he?s not much of the talking type. Trust me, I know; we jog all the time and he hardly says anything.?

She nodded again.

?If something?s bothering you hun, tell me. I don?t want to pry, but I think you'd feel better if you talked about whatever is bothering you so much that you almost cried.? He put a gentle hand on her shoulder.

?I need to go. I'm sorry; maybe we could meet for drinks later. Once I pull Cy out of her lab.? Sara smiled weakly.

?You sure??

?I can't Joe, but thank you.? She kissed his cheek and moved towards the door, ?Goodnight Joe.?

Joe restated himself, ?Sara, I consider you one of my few friends on this ship. I can?t stand to see you like this.?

?And you?re mine. But, this?I just can't. It involves?I just can't.? She smiled and headed for the door, ?Thanks, Joe.? With that she stepped through the door.