<USS Banshee> "Ethics"

  • From: EnsnSaraCrusher@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:58:11 EDT

(This log would have taken place before the last two sims. It'll help explain
Sara's recent mood.)

By: Lt. Commander Sara Kaelyre

"Priory One message coming in on a medical channel from the USS Nobel."

Sara looked up from her personnel reports with an odd look on her face, she
glanced over at the clock on the table behind her deck, and then back at the
blinking light on her terminal. "Who in the world would be calling this late.
Computer put the call on screen."

The black blank screen of Sara’s terminal switched from black, to the
s symbol, to the symbol of the USS Nobel. Sara rolled her eyes when she
realized who it was. "It’s about goddamn time." She hissed just before the
image of
a woman with short blonde hair appeared on the screen.

"Oh pardon me young lady, I was trying to connect directly with the chief
medical officer.... A... Doctor...  Calorie." The woman said upon seeing
image on her own screen.

Sara tried not to moan from the mispronunciation of her last name and the
assumption that she wasn’t who she was. "It’s K-A-E-L-Y-R-E not Calorie."
corrected. "And I am she."

The woman on the other end stared at Sara for a moment. "Well don’t you lot
just keep getting younger and younger. I guess it’s a side effect of the war
and all. Well Doctor Kaelyre I’m Doctor Toby Russell and I believe you’ve
requested my help with one of my former subjects."

"One of your subjects?" Sara repeated not willing to believe the coldness in
the woman’s voice.

Russell looked down at a padd as she spoke. "Yes.. Asper, Joshua. Case study

Sara had always known that there were doctors out there that were all about
the research side of medicine and that most of the time they were rather cold,
but she’d never had to deal with one before. They’d only been talking for
minutes and already Sara felt like she needed a blanket. "Right, I needed to
talk to you about the effects the drug you used on him are having on him."

Russell nodded. "I’ve read the request and as soon as you send me all his
medical scans for the last six months and complete a few tests I need for my
I’ll send you the information you’ll need to produce the antidote."

"Excuse me but did you just say antidote?" Sara asked with widening eyes.
Russell nodded. "Wait, you mean to tell me that you treated a patient with an
unapproved drug with out his knowledge until after the fact and this drug
requires an antidote?"

The woman on the screen just looked at Sara as if what she’d done was
perfectly fine and normal. "The drug was part of a set of experiments I was
on. It’s nothing to over react to, Doctor. Simply send me the data I need and
ll send you the treatments that will counter act the drug and it’s long term

The bridge of Sara’s nose and the pale skin beneath her eyes began to flush.
"Excuse me for ’over’ reacting Doctor Russell but Mister Asper is more then
case number to me, and excuse me if I seem to have issues with how you treat
your patients like lab rats."

"Do you do any kind of medical research, Doctor Kaelyre?" When Sara didn’t
reply Russell smiled. "How do you test the theories your working on?
Simulations? Bio-Organic samples?"

Sara nodded. "The approved vices of experimentation laid out by the medical
board. I test them and retest them before submitting them for approval where
they are tested again, before it is used on a living being"

"But in the end your treatment is used on a living being just the same as
mine. Isn’t that first living being that receives the treatment as much of a
rat as the people in my cases? Computer controlled simulations can’t always
cover the whole spectrum of possibilities when working with something as
as humanoid physiology."

Sara sat there with her eyes narrowed quietly fuming. "Well at least you
admit they’re people."

Russell laughed out loud which startled Sara. "You practicing doctors are all
the same. You can’t see past the faces or the emotions long enough to see the
work and lives it'll save down the line. For you it’s all about the here and
now. You know you lot really should just stick with playing the caregivers and
leave the forward thinking to those of us who have the nerve for it."

"And you glory seeking researchers have no ethics nor heart so I guess a cold
sterile lab is just where you belong."

The smile on Russell’s face was sickening. "Now you get it. Well, as I said
ll be sending you a list of tests that I’ll need done and you can send the
results along with Mister Asper’s medical records for the past six months, no
wait make that the past year. As soon as I have that and review it you’ll
the treatment needed to do what you do best. I look forward to receiving the
information. Enjoy the rest of your night doctor."

The computer terminal went dark again and Sara just sat there staring at it
trying to decide if that whole conversion had been real or  not. "What a
bitch." Sara finally said to the screen before turning on the computer and
Josh’s records. Well at least they were on the path to getting Josh back to
normal. Or at least what ever normal is for Josh, anyway.